Author Topic: The Flying Machines  (Read 12446 times)

Offline petul

• Villein
  • Merit: 3
    • View Profile
The Flying Machines
« on: May 07, 2015, 10:47:09 PM »
Hello, I have a question about expansion Flying machines - which type of  meeples can be placed on these tiles? What do you think? Thank you very much for your replies and ideas!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1738.0

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Re: The Flying Machines
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 11:24:44 PM »
According to the rules:
the player may place a follower as a flier on a flying machine symbol to get the follower in the game.
(emphasis mine).

So, all legal followers can be fliers, including standard follower, big follower, mayor, wagon and phantom.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 01:02:02 AM »
But not pig, builder, and the like. Legal followers are only wood pieces, which make you score points individually on one of the main features, not bonus points depending on other figures. Also be aware, that restrictions are regarding the individual follower. So, if you place a mayor on a flying machine, he can obviously only claim a city, not a road or cloister. This can be of advantage, too, since you must claim a feature, if possible.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 02:49:05 AM »
...Legal followers are only wood pieces...

Have to be careful because Phantoms are plastic, but are legal for the Flier.

To the OP; remember that not all Meeples are Followers. (thank you Z-Man Games for botching that up.)
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 02:51:54 AM »
In the new Carcassonne Edition 2.0 - the figure Abbot is also a follower.
When the figure Abbot use a Flying Machine - it can only land on a cloister.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 03:28:57 AM »
What if a dragon is in between the flier tile and destination tile?  ^-^
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline petul

• Villein
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 11:09:41 PM »
Thank to all of you for your answers, another mystery is solved! I really appreciate your help, have a nice time! See ya  :)

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 12:32:40 AM »
Good question! What if a dragon is on the destination tile? This seems obvious: the follower goes back to the supply. But there's no hint in the rules of "Princess & Dragon" you can't place a follower on a tile with a dragon with the magic portal, so the first question should be: Is it allowed to place a follower on a tile with the dragon with the magic portal?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 12:37:23 AM by Fritz_Spinne »

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 03:13:15 AM »
...Is it allowed to place a follower on a tile with the dragon with the magic portal?

To me, it would seem so because you are not "choosing" to place him on that tile with the Dragon, it's where your wing lands you. In a practical sense you cannot control the wing that well when you are flying so you don't have complete control over where you land. If you happen to land on a Dragon...well, that's tough knocks.

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 11:21:14 PM »
...Is it allowed to place a follower on a tile with the dragon with the magic portal?

To me, it would seem so because you are not "choosing" to place him on that tile with the Dragon, it's where your wing lands you. In a practical sense you cannot control the wing that well when you are flying so you don't have complete control over where you land. If you happen to land on a Dragon...well, that's tough knocks.

I believe that if you are a very lucky and the dragon is lazily enjoying the southern French sunshine, you might be able to touch down the earth very shortly next to the dragon by using the flying machine or the magic portal. Still, as soon as you hit the ground the dragon will sense your nervously beating heart and smell your cold sweat and you will be eaten in a second...

Offline cidervampire

• Vassal
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 11:23:27 AM »
What happens when a flyer moves diagonally  over one of big castle double tiles? Does he move sideways on the big tile then move off diagonally or does he follow a realistic straight line over the castle? On a similar note, does the castle only count as one tile when counting the kidnap range for a tower?

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 10:43:13 AM »
What happens when a flyer moves diagonally  over one of big castle double tiles? Does he move sideways on the big tile then move off diagonally or does he follow a realistic straight line over the castle? On a similar note, does the castle only count as one tile when counting the kidnap range for a tower?

Good questions. These will need clarifications.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 11:41:03 AM »

Good questions. These will need clarifications.

From what I understand the Flyer can only land on an unscored Road, City and Cloister. A Castle is neither of these things and not on _a_ tile, sort of outside the gameplay area.

This would be reasonble enough to have the Flyer fly straight no matter what obstacles.

Which does bring up a funny thought. What about a very high Tower?  O:-)

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2017, 07:20:02 AM »

So that question was probably tongue-in-cheek, and I realize I'm necroing here, but nevertheless I'm going to respond anyway. It seems the general question here would be, is there any reason why a flier cannot fly over any and every kind of space it could not actually land on?

If it's okay to fly over a field

or a completed feature

or a space without a tile,

then I would think one could fly over a volcano

or even the dragon.

CAR 7.4 states (emphasis mine) that "At no point may followers occupy the same tile as the dragon." Seems to me that a flier does not actually occupy the spaces flown over; otherwise none of the scenarios above would work. (And I would expect the rules to have said something if this were the design intent.)

Also the dragon is not actually defined as immediately and constantly eating everything that shares its airspace; it specifically eats when it moves into a new space. It's noteworthy that it does not actually eat other things that move into its space; rather, other things are not allowed to enter its space. The dragon eats when hunting, and then everything avoids it at all other times.

(Many thanks to the amazing CAR for its tireless collection and presentation of the rules, as well as all the image resources I needed to indulge myself in Photoshop today.)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:58:15 AM by Just a Bill »
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 08:22:32 AM »
I don't think the rules in Fliers mention anything that is not on the destination tile, so I would assume one can fly over a dragon. But an official confirmation is nonetheless great if we can have one.
Or we just house rule that one pays a fee (points to the bank) to fly, and the fee is decided on the basis of the number of tiles and features on those tiles

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
The Flying Machines – Element of the Week #35

Started by Whaleyland

13 Replies
Last post March 04, 2016, 01:17:21 AM
by Christopher
xx
Quick flying machines question

Started by DIN0

9 Replies
Last post June 04, 2018, 05:41:46 PM
by DIN0
xx
The Flying Machines 2 for JCloisterZone

Started by Snearone

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2022, 03:19:21 PM
by Bumsakalaka
question
The Tower & The Flying Machines: Element Match-Ups #2

Started by Whaleyland

18 Replies
Last post September 30, 2015, 03:25:54 PM
by Hounk
xx
German monasteries & portals, flying machines and "Place a meeple" arrow symbols

Started by NGC 54

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2023, 08:22:29 AM
by NGC 54