Off Topic > Anything Else

Glasses for color blindness

<< < (2/3) > >>

Halfling:
I am colour blind. Not tried glasses or anything else.

Meepledrone:

--- Quote from: Halfling on April 09, 2021, 09:24:04 AM ---I am colour blind. Not tried glasses or anything else.

--- End quote ---

Do you have the red-green color blindness these glasses address?

Decar:
'Correct' doesn't seem like the right word to use in this case.

What is being corrected?

Is colourblindness wrong?

Compensate, support, distinguishing perhaps.

I'm pretty sure correcting colour blindness has limited success and will requite multiple complex surgeries at the very least.   :(

DIN0:
I do not suffer from colorblidness, but I am well familliar with EnChroma glasses.
It is true that they aim to help protans and deutans better distinguish individual hues. Healthy humans have three types of cones in their retina: L cones, M cones abd S cones.
These have different sensitivities to certain wavelengths of light, and when activated, the brain interprets the ratio of triggered cones as color. The cones naturally have overlaps in their responsivness, which is why you are abe to read the screen you are currently viewing, despite it emiting only a limited number of colors.
The L cones of protans, and M cones of deuterans have anomalous responsivity and have greater overlap than normal.
What EnChroma glasses actually do is filter out the light corresponding to the wavelengths, in which there is greatest overlap between L and M cones (see Figure 1, adopted from Gómez-Robledo et al., 2018). Therefore only the wavelengths that strongly activate just one type of cone pass through, and your brain can supposedly differentiate them easier.

That said several studies exploring the effectivness of EnChroma glasses conclude that there is no significant improvement in color perception. You can change the appearance of some colors which were difficult to see, but at the cost of the others.
Of course you might still find them useful in certain situations, or enriching in general.

Gómez-Robledo, L., Valero, E. M., Huertas, R., Martínez-Domingo, M. A., Hernández-Andrés, J. (2018). Do EnChroma glasses improve color vision for colorblind subjects?. Opt. Express 26(22): 28693–28703.

Meepledrone:

--- Quote from: Decar on April 09, 2021, 10:59:39 AM ---'Correct' doesn't seem like the right word to use in this case.

What is being corrected?

Is colourblindness wrong?

Compensate, support, distinguishing perhaps.

I'm pretty sure correcting colour blindness has limited success and will requite multiple complex surgeries at the very least.   :(

--- End quote ---

I agree completely... Sorry for using a wrong word in this case. Compensating would have worked better. Hope nobody felt offended. I updated the subject of the topic.

These glasses just help to tell colors apart in certain cases. I had in mind the discussions we had about what meeple colors worked better for some color-blind forum members such as cicerunner:

http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=4313.msg65948#msg65948

Just a thought: color blindness is a misnomer in itself...  :o

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version