Off Topic > Anything Else

Glasses for color blindness

<< < (3/3)

Decar:
Sorry meepledrone that was more of a question for the blogs you posted!

Meepledrone:
Ah, OK!

DIN0 made a great summary on what the issue is regarding processing the wavelength in the eye, and how the glasses block some of the frequencies to help the brain tell colors apart more easily.

So glasses are an aid but do not correct the problem. As you mentioned, they compensate the cones in the eye for those cases with red-green color blindness. It is not a correction, since it is not permanent.

The first article mentioned another company manufacturing contact lenses to do the same trick.

So I was thinking if the glasses would be of any help when play Carcassonne: Brighter colors on the tiles, telling reds and greens better, wider range of colors when picking meeples... That sort of things.

DIN0:
I think some people may indeed find them useful for Carcassonne. There are several things which I can imagine would blend together if you have increased overlap in L and M cones. Red, Purple, Green and Lightgreen meeples might be particularly difficult to tell apart, as well as roofs of C1 cities (C2 cities are better in this regard). The glasses do not improve the number of hues you can percieve at any given time, but they can change which type you can/cannot see. So I can see a scenario where you would don the glasses for the game of Carcassonne.

I wonder if the dark blue grass from Darmstadt, German Castles, Cathedrals and Dutch Monasteries HiG edition, is easier to tell apart from the cities, than other shades of grass. Cities do have a great deal of red in them, so green grass would blend, but not so much grass with greater blue content.

Halfling:
In daylight I don't have any issues with the colours of the meeples. In artificial light then green, red and brown are problem combinations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version