Author Topic: Other tile laying games thread.  (Read 68448 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Other tile laying games thread.
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 10:21:59 AM »
Don't Forget HiG's Schweinebande - https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/64675/schweinebande   Hex Placement

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 10:27:24 AM »
Anyone who wants to know what happens to Carcassonne, when you make the tiles Hexagonal should take a look at a runthrough video for Fjords. 

The board has to be drastically simplified, then rather than placing meeple you place barns, which spread ownership into fields

It's a quick filler.  I quite like it.

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2016, 04:03:05 PM »
I really like Fjords as well but my wife, not so much  :(

Generally she likes traditional abstract games but maybe the problem is that it doesn't look or really feel like an abstract game until you are into it - if that makes any sense  :o

I'll to break it out at again with her at a later date!

Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 01:52:58 AM »
Here's an up and coming tile laying game:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/170416/trove-crystal-caverns

It's a asymmetric adventure games where plays explore a cave consisting of drawn tiles. In fact one of the players can be the cave.  PnP is available.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 02:25:15 AM »
Also dont forget the original tile placement game:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2394/dominoes

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 03:19:32 AM »
I didn't think this thread would go so viral.  :-*

Got a lot of work ahead of me. I'll try update this as often as I can with small tidbits than a huge update. I've more planned for these games which will be revealed later this year.
  Also, I've compiled a new list with hundreds of tile placing games that I am updating to remove duplicates.

Lastly, I need to rewrite the main goal I had for the tile placement game.  :@
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 05:18:56 AM »
One think to keep in mind about Alhambra (and possibly other games as well), not sure, f that information is important for your project: the tile placement mechanism occurs prominent in the game, but it is by no mean the most important. You have to group your tiles according to some rules, and the way you do has some impact in VP regarding "the longest wall", but drafting money cards and buying the right tiles under a set collection aspect is vital in the base game as well.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 05:59:59 AM »
One think to keep in mind about Alhambra (and possibly other games as well), not sure, f that information is important for your project: the tile placement mechanism occurs prominent in the game, but it is by no mean the most important. You have to group your tiles according to some rules, and the way you do has some impact in VP regarding "the longest wall", but drafting money cards and buying the right tiles under a set collection aspect is vital in the base game as well.

I've added this to my brainstorm sheet. During the year each game will be more detailed, especially with facts that are not listed in bgg.com.

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 10:57:24 AM »
Some more games for your list:

Two great solo, co-op games from the Oniverse Series:

Castellion - Which is a Castle building Tile placement game with a great time mechanic and special tile movement rules based on tiles you discard.

Which leads me into another game mechanic, which are sort of tile laying but the tiles are cards:

Card Laying Games:

Sylvion - A card based tower defense game, by the same author as Castellion.

And:

This is in the Kickstarters at the moment:  Biergarten

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 11:06:13 AM »
Castellion - Which is a Castle building Tile placement game with a great time mechanic and special tile movement rules based on tiles you discard.

I just took a quick look at this and my first impression is that the back of the tiles look better than the front!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 12:33:06 PM »
Élise Plessis is a brilliant artist.  The Omniverse, if you hadn't guessed from the title, is set in a mysterious dream world.

In my eyes, her artwork intentionally captures a child's imagination.  Simple bright colourful objects are counter played elements from nightmares which all the games in the series have wrapped into their mechanics.  I can't quite find the words to describe it, but the apparent simplicity resonates with something 'in me'.  The abstract artwork represent abstract feelings or emotions; they shouldn't have hyper-realistic artwork. 

Shadi Torbey's a very talented solo designer and has said he intentionally leaves all artwork out of his designs so not to influence the artist.  I didn't think solo-board-gaming was a thing until I played Onirim.  I recommend you check it out and give it a play.

It's interesting because all the game mechanics are abstract too.  So many games plaster an irrelevant theme onto an abstract game.  But for me, the abstract art and abstract mechanics actually complement each other.

I was speaking to a dude at my FLGS who met Ms Plessis at Essen this past November, she was taking the time to talk to people and had brought her water-colours with her to paint characters into the box-lids; another reason I was gutted to miss Essen. She obviously left a good impression on the dude from the shop, as he was very happy to have met them both  and talk about their games.  So even if you don't like her artwork she doesn't sound like the sort of person that ever deserves that sought of criticism.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 12:51:53 PM »
So even if you don't like her artwork she doesn't sound like the sort of person that ever deserves that sought of criticism.

I did not criticise her. I saw some tiles which had nice castles on the back and abstract circles and squares and triangles on the front, and I said I liked the backs more.

Offline Curt194

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 01:22:14 PM »
I've had Sylvion for a little while and I really enjoy it. I liked the way the game took you through some simple versions of the game so you could play straight away without feeling overwhelmed. I've got Castellion on the way too because I couldn't resist the tile laying.

I know exactly what you mean about the artwork. Completely captures the mood and themes of the games very well. Really great for solo play. I've not tried the cooperative game yet, but I imagine it could make for a very interesting game!

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 04:36:34 PM »
Another one for the master list that I don't think has been mentioned (maybe it has?),

Batt'l Kha'os

Description from BGG: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/42444/battl-khaos

Battle rages on between orcs and knights. Purple and Orange form a chaotic melee and no-one knows which side will win this battle. Mage towers scattered on the battlefield are strategic objectives, and it soon appears that whomever controls the most towers will reap the seeds of victory.

Players place tiles to form majorities of their army on the corners of towers: when all 4 corners are resolved, the player with the majority of corners seizes control of the tower.
Special power tokens can increase your presence or decrease your opponent's presence as well as doing a few other things.

There are 5 special tiles included in the game for added strategies.

Mechanisms:
Area Control / Area Influence
Card Drafting
Hand Management
Tile Placement

Photo from BGG images:
Michael Hines (R3sp4wN)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2016, 12:03:12 PM »
Squared tiles
• (2015) Lanterns: The Harvest Festival

I suddenly find myself looking for games that both me and my wife might like (which is part of my new-found fascination with Cacao), and this one could be a winner too. It has beautiful artwork and is a nice 'family' game with a very pleasant theme that suits junglegirl well (as a Chinese speaker). This sentence from one BGG review makes it look right up her alley:

Strategy and Depth are nice and yes they are both here (“Hi Strategy! Hi Depth!”) but that’s not really what this game is here to do (“Ok, Strategy and Depth…you can sit down now”). The primary role of this game is as a relaxation or a meditation of sorts.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
What games did you enjoy at UK games expo (or other games convention)?

Started by asparagus

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
by asparagus
xx
Other games with wooden pieces thread

Started by jungleboy

34 Replies
Last post April 11, 2016, 05:30:36 AM
by Hounk
xx
Favorite Tile-Laying Games