Author Topic: Build me a game worthy of MegaCarc!  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Meles

• Freeman
  • Merit: 0
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Build me a game worthy of MegaCarc!
« on: September 24, 2023, 08:10:12 PM »
The power of my collection is at your command, Lords of Carcassonne. Build me a game worthy of MegaCarc!

I've lost my mind and one of my next games will be Mega Carcassonne, two handed solo.:o

Per Scott my "table limitations, tiles are 1.75" square, so your 37x74" table can hold a maximum of 882 tiles. If you build a 42x84 topper, that will go up to 1152 tiles. These numbers assume no gaps, which is unlikely. They also don't leave room for the scoreboard or for players to store their meeples. So maybe deduct 10% or so to allow for both of those."

I have the topper, but will be putting together a poor man's neoprene mat for it from a bunch of $1 mats which is a task I'd rather not do for this game.

My collection:
-------------------  copies   total tiles   949
Carcassonne base   (x5)   360 (I do believe I can unsort these, so up to five base games possible.)
Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals   (x3)   54
Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders   (x3)   72
Expansion 3 – The Princess & The Dragon   (x2)   60
Expansion 4 – The Tower   (x2)   36
Expansion 5 – Abbey & Mayor   (x1)   18
Expansion 6 – Count, King & Robber   (x1)   34 (Have an extra King & Robber)
Expansion 8 – Bridges, Castles and Bazaars   (x1)   12 (I have an additional half set of Castles and Bridges I may bring to bear)
Expansion 9 – Hills & Sheep   (x1)   18
Expansion 10 – Under the Big Top   (x1)   20
The River   (x4)   48
Carcassonne: The Count of Carcassonne   (x1)   12
River II   (x1)   12
Corn Circles II   (x1)   6
The Phantom   (x1)   0
The Festival   (x1)   10
The Flying Machines   (x1)   8
The Messengers   (x2)   0
The Ferries   (x1)   8
The Goldmines   (x1)   8
Mage & Witch   (x1)   8
The Robber   (x1)   8
Windrosen Start Tile   (x1)   1
Pigsty   (x1)   1
German Monasteries   (x1)   0
Castles in Germany   (x1)   12
Cathedrals in Germany   (x1)   6
The Fruit Bearing Trees   (x1)   6
Barber Surgeons   (x1)   6
GQ Promo Tiles   (x1)   10
Labyrinth   (x1)   1
Peasant Revolts   (x1)   12
The Signposts   (x1)   12
The Bets   (x1)   10
Mists   (x1)   60
Wheel of Fortune   (x1)   28

My initial thoughts are that my long table might be served best by an extremly long River, but I'd like to play Mists as an expansion and its start tile is supposed to replace the one in the base game. And then of course Wheel of Fortune start tile is available. River II. River III (one of my River I's is from Big Box 5). And then I have both versions of the Count start tile. :yellow-meeple: And not to be forgotten is the Windrosen start tile (don't own the rest of the expansion). It looks like that the tile count alone will not require my larger topper, but should I use that to give more flexibility. Am I correct to assume one is not allowed to overhang the table?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6461.0
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 08:38:57 PM by Meles »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Build me a game worthy of MegaCarc!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 06:07:27 AM »
Pretty decent game!!! :o

You may use a side table for the scoreboard and the general supply...

If you want The Wind Roses, you may find them here with spielbox magazine...  ^-^

https://nostheide.de/webshop3/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=2013/5
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Meles

• Freeman
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 11:43:39 PM »

If you want The Wind Roses, you may find them here with spielbox magazine...  ^-^

The shipping is quite reosonable, so I'll have to consider whether I want more than the start tile I already have.

My table without the topper is actually 8 feet long, so I don't need to take off a full 10%.

I think for the sake of balance I will restrict the number of base games to two so I may play Gardens & Abbots. I'll probably double Princess&Dragon. I could triple the first two expansions and double the Tower and I'll probably play bridges and castles with my 1.5 expansions. Would triple Inns&Cath work with just two base games? :pink-meeple:

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2023, 01:48:41 AM »
Labyrinth   (x1)   1

This game deserves more than 1 Labyrinth tile :)
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Meles

• Freeman
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 11:19:07 AM »
This game deserves more than 1 Labyrinth tile :)
How about three? I'm assuming I could get a 2nd copy and just use the C2 and C1 versions along with my single C1 tile.

I'm now being delighted by wicarpedia's mega discussion on start tiles. https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Mega-Carcassonne
This one has Mists of Carcassonne start tile :)):

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2023, 12:15:20 PM »
Of course. It is using all official starting tiles together. So it combines stuff released only in C1 like School / Wheel of Fortune / Windroses with only C2 like Spiel Doch Promo, with C2.5 stuff Double tile river spring tile and finally with only C3 stuff Exp 11 Ghosts, Castles and Cemeteries (also known as MoC).

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2023, 12:19:48 PM »
Ha ha ha! Glad you like it. You are lucky I updated it recently...

I don't know if you also checked the other reference pages for the consolidated version of:
* The setup sequence (Game Reference) 
* The turn sequence (Order of Play)
* The end game (Game Reference)
* The scoring during the game (Scoring During Turn Sequence / Scoring During the Game)
* The scoring after the game (Scoring After the Game)

Offline Meles

• Freeman
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2023, 12:43:42 PM »
Some notes and thoughts on what to include. Wikicarpedia defines the mega game as one of everything and has some suggested house rules for problems that abound in that type of game. I've only played the base game a few dozen times online without fields and the actual game with just a few expansions less than half a dozen times (last was Fruit trees, Princess & Dragon, plus Hills & Sheep.) I do want to get in over my head and since playing this solo I can be stalled by rules and learning all I want. But a 900 tile game is a lot and so when in doubt, I'm going to throw some things out:
1. Sadly farming dominates the game more and more as the game gets larger and larger which is probably a bad thing at 800 tiles. I will house rule to reduce the "field's basic score per feature by 1 point 2 points (2 points 1 point per completed city, 3 2 points per castle)" I will allow pig herds (have an extra tile) and pigs to be stacked contrary to house rule suggestions.
2. Exp. 4 - The Tower: Buying back captured meeples may be insignificat in games where players score 600+ points. I could house rules the buy back to six points, but I'm just going to Run both copies I own of the Tower Expansion.
3. Exp. 5 - Abbey & Mayor: Scoring the barn - here again the farmer/field mechanic becomes over powered. My heavy handed house rule from item 1 will help this and since I'll only be playing one copy of this expansion in an 800 tile game that should be enough.
4. Exp. 6 - Count, King & Robber: Scoring the King and Robber Baron bonus - to avoid counting all the roads and cities in this 800 tile game, "The King and Rober Baron tiles are worth 20 40 points each, no matter the number of cities & roads.
5. Exp. 10 - Under the Big Top - I may keep an eye out for a 2nd copy of this, but for now rules stay except acrobat pyramids are worth double (10 points).
6. The Wheel of Fortune: Scoring meeples on the crown - crown points will be tripled
7. Messages will get the chop since a complication that will just make a long game even longer.
8. Mini #5 - Mage & Witch: Additional tiles considered with magic symbols. "water towers in cities as the magic symbol logo to increase the occurrence of the mage and witch actions."
9. Mini #6 - The Robbers: Additional tiles considered with robber symbols - highwaymen beside a road are the same as robber symbol.
10. Germany Monasteries - too many house rules to fix this one, so it gets the chop. :(n)

Offline Meles

• Freeman
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2023, 12:58:32 PM »
Ha ha ha! Glad you like it. You are lucky I updated it recently...

I don't know if you also checked the other reference pages for the consolidated version of:
* The setup sequence (Game Reference) 
* The turn sequence (Order of Play)
* The end game (Game Reference)
* The scoring during the game (Scoring During Turn Sequence / Scoring During the Game)
* The scoring after the game (Scoring After the Game)
I was over joyed just to see the Mists starting tile as that showed me it was very current. :orange-meeple:

Frankly I've found wikicarpedia a bit confusing and was never attracted to it since the low rez tile images are not that inspiring (nor usable for print and play which I realize is the intent.) I have found those sections and will read them now.

Mists is currently on hold and since you have it in the wikicarpedia start tiles I must release it! :o
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 01:00:37 PM by Meles »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2023, 01:35:43 PM »
We have low-res images on purpose, in order to avoid any copyright issues.

The reference pages allow you to select the expansions you want to include and then everything gets configured accordingly.

What do you find confusing on WICA?

Offline Meles

• Freeman
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2023, 05:57:23 PM »
We have low-res images on purpose, in order to avoid any copyright issues.

The reference pages allow you to select the expansions you want to include and then everything gets configured accordingly.

What do you find confusing on WICA?
I honestly never looked before at the functionality you mention. I will try it out as it looks like a boon for constructing this mega game.

Confusing parts of WICA since you ask and I am quite new to it. I've done google searches and sometimes WICA comes up and I like what I've found, but when I recently went searching around the website I'm greeted from the home page with the following:
1. Tools
2. WICA Toolbox

And that is it. I can scroll down and click on many links in the article, but that is not very intuitive. So I've immediately searched elsewhere rather than navigate through this. I will keep exploring it and thanks for some direction/prodding on using it. Oh, I've given up on registering for the site. Hopefully there is some way to save results......

Wow. Once you get the hang of it, was not bad to enter all the expansions. This is probably going to be a lifesaver because with all those expansions this will be good training for me:
"Step 1B: Draw a Tile

If you have tiles that you are required to play, you must use them instead of drawing a new tile or choosing a tile from your supply.
If you have a tile from a previous bazaar auction, you must use that tile.
If you do not have to use a tile and you have one or more tiles in your supply, you may use one of them instead of drawing a tile, if there is a valid space to place it.
An abbey tile
A German castle tile
If you did not perform any previous action in Step 1B, randomly draw a tile.
Show the tile to all players. Place the tile in front of you while performing the actions associated to the tile.
If a hill is depicted on the tile, immediately draw another tile if any available. If so, keep this new tile face-down underneath the tile with the hill.
If a Wheel of Fortune icon is on the tile, resolve Wheel of Fortune. ROBBERS
If a peasant revolt symbol is on the tile, resolve the peasant revolt for the feature type indicated. ROBBERS
If the tile is placeable and you decide to open a gift in your supply, turn the card face up, resolve the action, and place it on top of the discard pile. ROBBERS
Step 1C: Place the Tile

Place the tile. If the placement is illegal, you must discard the tile (and the tile drawn to place underneath a hill as well, if any) and go back to Step 1B.
You may build a bridge on the tile just placed or a tile orthogonal to the tile just placed if you have any left in your supply. The bridge may be required to make the tile placement legal. If the placement is illegal without the bridge, you may choose to discard the tile.
If placing a bridge on a tile with a tower, you may need to move it slightly to make room for the bridge.
No bridge can be built on an acrobat tile with one or more acrobats.
You can build a bridge on a circus tile (with or without the big top).
Note: any tile-based feature that is finished is considered complete at this time.
If a volcano symbol is on the tile, place the dragon on this tile.
If a princess symbol is on the tile, and the tile is added to an existing city with a knight on it, you may remove a knight of your choice and skip Steps 2B-1 and 2B-2.
If a gold symbol is on the tile, you must place a gold piece on that tile and an adjacent tile.
If a mage and witch symbol is on the tile, or if the tile joins the features with the Mage and Witch, you must move the Mage or the Witch.
If a robber symbol is on the tile, your robber and next player’s robber still in their supply may be placed on the scoreboard. If you had already played your robber, you may move it.
If there is a quarter-wind rose on the tile and you place the tile in the appropriate quadrant of the playing field, you score 3 points. ROBBERS
If a hill is on the tile, place the hill tile while keeping the face-down second tile underneath it.
If placing a circus tile for the first time, place an animal token facedown on the circus area and then the big top on it.
If there is a fruit-bearing tree on the tile, place a stack of 4 fruit tokens of the same type facedown on the tile (it doesn't matter if it matches the type of tree.)
If the tile placed is the last one to surround a bathhouse with a trapped meeple, the meeple can be taken back by its owner for free. If the owner forgets, the player will have to pay to get it back.
If you extended at least one road or city occupied by one or more players where you don't have the majority after placing the tile, you draw a gift card, look at it without showing it to anyone, and place it face down in your supply."
I've got a little FireHD tablet that I pay put on a picture stand oriented like a phone and have this handy for each move.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 09:04:19 PM by Meles, Reason: it is a free country »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2023, 11:59:21 AM »
The menus on the left are mainly for editors... These are provided by the wiki engine.

Visitors mainly use the central block of the page

The tables include several links so visitors can access the latest rules by clicking on the name of the expansion or the specific rules for an edition C1, C2 or C3, when available. Sometimes there are differences between them or you just would like to use the rules of your edition, no matter what.

Offline Meles

• Freeman
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2023, 10:19:16 PM »
Replying to the post just above I'm seeing the value of wikicarpedia rules. I will be relying on it solely for this Megacarc game.

They also have Little Buildings. I'm pretty sure the Halb so wild I is useless since Halb Wild II is quite expensive in C1. No gameplay differences between these two and the newer combined expansion with C2 art? Pretty sure I saw Labyrinth as well.

I must say the site is quite horrible since it will dump your cart after an hour. :(n)

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2023, 11:46:46 PM »
They also have Little Buildings. I'm pretty sure the Halb so wild I is useless since Halb Wild II is quite expensive in C1. No gameplay differences between these two
Half so wild (Halflings) is for me one of the best addition to Carcassonne. (Please don't tell it to @Decar)

Offline Meles

• Freeman
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2023, 07:02:14 AM »
They also have Little Buildings. I'm pretty sure the Halb so wild I is useless since Halb Wild II is quite expensive in C1. No gameplay differences between these two
Half so wild (Halflings) is for me one of the best addition to Carcassonne. (Please don't tell it to @Decar)
Decar hehe. I finally heard back from Philibert over my albino backed German cathedrals, and they seem quite determined to send me a replacement copy all the way from Europe. it is a language barrier, but I am trying to talk them into giving me a shipping discount instead on a new order and tuck in the replacement copy. they were out of stock winter edition when I did my order plus they were a few other minis I did not get due to the shipping cost jumping €10 and their availability at spieldematerial. I really shouldn't get winter edition, but I want it.

frankly, I'd rather have the earlier edition of winter with C1 art and they do have the expansion for that in stock (A gingerbread man to go with the halflings). The new addition of winter does have the winter River. does it make sense to combine the C1 expansion with the current addition?

this is all relevant to the thread, because the shipping from Philibert is fast and all of this can be in the mega game hehe.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Report: MegaCarc (w/ 14 expansions)

Started by AlbinoAsian

10 Replies
Last post September 08, 2013, 11:14:56 AM
by wicke
xx
MegaCarc Testrun with some of the RPG elements.

Started by Paul

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2014, 02:05:31 AM
by SRBO
xx
megaCarc April 19-21, 2014

Started by Paul

15 Replies
Last post April 20, 2014, 01:53:37 PM
by Paul
xx
Megacarc suggestions?