Author Topic: Another question for Towers and Barns  (Read 996 times)

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
Another question for Towers and Barns
« on: February 20, 2022, 01:23:03 PM »
We will be playing our first Tower game in about 2 hours, and as I go over my previous Barns and Roads post, another question comes to mind!

Yes I understand that a Barn cannot be removed when placing another tower floor, the question is about placing a Barn on a Tower Tile!

Not sure where I read it, but when placing the first tile from the Inns and Cathedrals expansion, you cannot place a Barn on the upper right corner of this tile because even though it is an FF corner, the Barn would be placed over a portion of the City and that is not allowed.  You can however place a Barn over the lower right corner when the other 3 FF tiles are also present.

This brings me to three Tower Base tiles.  I would say yes that you can place a Barn on any of the four corners of the first Tower Base Tile when the other 3 FF tiles are present, but what about the second Tower Base Tile? Can a Barn be placed on the lower right corner which would cover part of the Tower Base?

And, if the answer is NO, you can’t place the Barn where it would overlap the Tower Base, then is the answer NO you can’t place a Barn on the lower right corner of the fourth tile, but you can place a Barn on the lower left corner?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5765.0
Totally addicted to this game

Offline Snearone

• Duke
  • Merit: 126
    • View Profile
Re: Another question for Towers and Barns
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 02:04:59 PM »
Yes, you can place it, the tower pieces doesn't need to be at the exact foundation, can be moved a little bit.
That tile from Inns and Cathedrals prevents placement of the barn, as it separates the fields, while the foundation does not.
Similar thing would happen when you try to build tower and this tile would have a bridge over it, it's not possible to follow the exact placement of the tower pieces, but by moving it a little bit nothing apart from visuals is changed.
Completed: Robber's Son | Gambler's Luck | Vistas Revisited | First Wells | The Flying Machines 2
WIP: The Occult Tower | Binding Deed | Wandering Preachers | City Gates Rebuilt | New King's Orders

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 04:15:54 AM »
If you were referring to the tile with the witch hat city segment from Exp. 1, you cannot place a barn on the corner with the pointy end. Even if both edges feature fields, the corner has a city segment touching it.

Check the image below, with 2 examples from Exp. 5 and a new example on the left with the aforementioned tile.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 04:18:12 AM by Meepledrone »
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline OneEyedOwl

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
  • Based in Germany, at the Swiss border
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2022, 04:32:44 AM »
If my brain is working correctly, you should only be able to place a barn if you have 4 FF corners that are touching, forming a square where for each separate Tile(!) the two Edges are connected ON the tile.

Just move the tower a bit like you'd do when placing a Bridge over a tower-Tile

@Meepledrone let me know if there are tiles which would break out of this scheme :D
No interest in 1st edition, but glad to help anyone looking for them. If you see something on ebay-kleinanzeigen.de and need someone to ship to your country, hit me up ^^

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2022, 05:22:11 AM »
As you say, a valid FF corner for a barn must feature an uninterrupted field segment.

You may get additional cases if Halflings and/or double-sized tiled are added to the mix. >:D

As you can see below, the barn may only be placed on an intersection without gaps featuring one continuous field patch, so no citiy segments may reach the intersection. This is valid for C2 (C1 was even less restrictive and allowed triangular gaps at the intersection).

>> Halflings only (A: allowed - B: Nor allowed):

>> Halflings and double-sized tiles (A: allowed - B: Nor allowed):

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2022, 05:30:34 AM »
One more thing, the Labyrinth tiles feature thin field strips outside the labyrinth. A barn may be placed on any of their corners even if it occludes a part of the labyrinth.

Offline OneEyedOwl

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
  • Based in Germany, at the Swiss border
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2022, 06:09:34 AM »
wait, this means that one could also place a meeple on the Field of the Labyrinth tile? ???

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2022, 06:51:55 AM »
Yes, you have four options to choose from.

Those field strips may also connect fields that would be separated otherwise if the labyrinth would reach the edge of the tile.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 06:53:48 AM by Meepledrone »

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2022, 07:31:26 AM »
To explain the barn placement, I usually say that you have to be able to draw a small circle around the tiles's intersection that is 360° over green field.

I think this covers any special tile or halflings situations  :yellow-meeple:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Dragon and Meeples on Towers

Started by Lord_Wishmaster

5 Replies
Last post August 23, 2015, 01:59:59 PM
by quevy
xx
Is this bridge placement legal? (+ another question about castles and fields)

Started by ac1982

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2022, 11:23:56 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
Mage and Witch - another question

Started by rfielder

2 Replies
Last post April 23, 2014, 10:00:34 AM
by obervet
xx
For Sale: Big box - with T+B, I+C, P+D, Towers - UNUSED