Author Topic: Dragon Attack Question  (Read 2875 times)

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
Dragon Attack Question
« on: May 12, 2016, 03:15:45 AM »
Hello all!

I was browsing the CAR as I had a little time on my hands, and it's nice to have a look every now and then. It's amazing how much I think I know, but I've actually forgotten. I keep learning things I knew once upon a time!

Anyway, in the Wheel of Fortune annotations, there's a footnote which states:

Note that the Wheel of Fortune icon interrupts the first phase of the turn (drawing and placing the landscape tile). The Wheel of Fortune event thus occurs before there is consideration for tile placement. Hence, even if the landscape tile cannot be played and is ultimately discarded, the Wheel of Fortune event will have already occurred anyway.

So if the tile doesn't get played, the wheel spins anyway. Cool. Remembered that. Similarly, there is a footnote which says in the Bridges, Castles and Bazaars rules that:

The bazaar takes place after the tile is drawn and placed. Thus, if the tile cannot be placed and is discarded, the bazaar will not occur.

Okay. Hadn't realised that. Makes sense though. But, there is no equivalent statement in the rules for Princess and the Dragon. Nor in the Catapult, now that I've read it. Extrapolating from the rules concerning WoF and BC&B, and given the place in turn order that they occur, I imagine I know the answer to this. In addition, I strongly doubt this would ever happen, due to the unlikeness of it. But I can't stand the thought of not knowing the answer, even if it doesn't ever happen!

Thus, my question is: If a dragon attack tile or a fair tile is drawn, but discarded as there is no legal placement for the tile, do the events still take place? And if so, when?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2728.0
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:18:11 AM by Christopher »
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Dragon Attack Question
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 04:52:32 AM »
Nice Hypothetical Question - I think it's pretty unlikely this would ever happen given the distribution of the tiles, but there are some feasible placements near the start of the game that would prevent the tiles from being placed.

Back to the Rio Grande Source:

Whenever a player draws a tile showing a dragon figure, he places it as he would normally
place a tile, and may also place a follower on the tile as he normally could. Then, the game is briefly
interrupted while the Dragon move s!

I think, if the tile cannot be placed (like normal) - the Dragon move still occurs.

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • Merit: 3
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 07:58:13 PM »
Actually I don't think so. If we extrapolate the market rule (the dragon moves only AFTER the tile is placed), the dragon should not move when the tile is not placed.

The same for the Catapult. The catapult actions also occur AFTER the tiles are placed. So, analogously no catapult action if the tile should be discarded.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 08:01:29 PM by Vital Pluymers »

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 08:26:56 AM »
I think the anomaly is the WoF. It's very strange that they granted any game affecting power to a tile that is getting discarded. But it is unique. That has to be the exception.

I would say, in every other expansion to date, if the tile gets discarded it triggers nothing. I think that's the standard, the WoF is the exception. Just my .02
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 01:38:55 PM »
Yeah I misread, the Bazaar's handling.  WoF seems to be the exception.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Barbarian Report: Attack of the Monasteries (Monasteries in Germany Review)

Started by Whaleyland

25 Replies
Last post September 04, 2017, 10:40:49 AM
by Willem
xx
Attack near Carcassonne

Started by aenima

0 Replies
Last post March 23, 2018, 05:06:56 AM
by aenima
xx
Newbie with Dragon question