Author Topic: School Question  (Read 6230 times)

Offline jecanre

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • ¡Hola!
    • View Profile
School Question
« on: January 09, 2015, 03:38:55 PM »
Hi! I have a question.

Red  :red-meeple: has the teacher and yellow  :meeple: put a tile that complete two cities (8 and 20 points).

How many points does red  :red-meeple: score?

a) 8 points
b) 20 points
c) 28 points

I was looking in S-CAR v.7.3 and I couldn't solve it by myself.

Thanks!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1429.0

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
Re: School Question
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 03:58:42 PM »
28 points. It us the total points for the turn not the biggest feature.

For example;
red has teacher
It.is yellows turn. Yellow places a tile which completes a city for red at 10 points, a road for yellow with an inn at 18 points, and a cloister for blue at 9 points.

Points for the turn -
Yellow - 18
Blue - 9
Red - 10 points plus teacher points(37) = 47  points!

I love the teacher fir early points.
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline jecanre

• Vagabond
  • ¡Hola!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 01:05:45 AM »
Thanks Rosco!  :red-meeple: :meeple: :green-meeple: :blue-meeple: :black-meeple: :gray-meeple:

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 09:42:19 AM »
28 points. It us the total points for the turn not the biggest feature.

I don't believe this is correct, although any case I can make for it is weak because the rules themselves are weak. But if it is the case then the player who holds the Teacher at the end of the game will score a point for every end game point tallied. That would be sweet but crazy OP.

The translated rules say:
"As soon as the next feature is completed and scored, the player with the teacher scores the same amount of points." (my emphasis). "After scoring with the teacher, the teacher meeple has to be returned to the school."

So the holder of the Teacher would get the score of one feature. The next question is how do you determine which feature he gets? In our own house rules (when it comes to any question of scoring order) we error on the side of the player receiving the bonus. So in this case we would rule that the holder of the Teacher gets to choose which feature he wants to receive the points from.

The official rules seem to have become convoluted over time in this regard, what with all the layers of expansions that can be included in a single game, and there are conflicting official words and unofficial opinions on the matter. That's why we've house ruled it in my group.
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline jecanre

• Vagabond
  • ¡Hola!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 06:28:01 AM »
Thanks Carcking!

Someone has another point of view or more information about that?

Offline DLloyd09

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 07:02:41 AM »
Hi! I have a question.

Red  :red-meeple: has the teacher and yellow  :meeple: put a tile that complete two cities (8 and 20 points).

Disclaimer: I don't own The School. However, my gut instinct tells me that in the absence of more official clarification, this situation should be played similar to The Robbers. If  :meeple: controls both cities,  :meeple: chooses in which order they are scored, and  :red-meeple: only gets the points from the first one. (In this situation,  :meeple: would probably want to score the 8-point city first.)

If, however,  :meeple: and  :blue-meeple: each control one of the cities,  :red-meeple: can choose which one to score for the teacher bonus.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 11:40:53 AM »
... this situation should be played similar to The Robbers.

Haha - some might argue that nothing should be played similar to The Robbers.  :o

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 02:28:17 PM »
Hi! I have a question.

Disclaimer: I don't own The School. However, my gut instinct tells me that in the absence of more official clarification, this situation should be played similar to The Robbers. If  :meeple: controls both cities,  :meeple: chooses in which order they are scored, and  :red-meeple: only gets the points from the first one. (In this situation,  :meeple: would probably want to score the 8-point city first.)

If, however,  :meeple: and  :blue-meeple: each control one of the cities,  :red-meeple: can choose which one to score for the teacher bonus.

I would agree with this. The teacher only scores for the next feature, not the entire score for the turn. The Carcassonne rules have a tough time when it comes to precise timing in the scoring phase, but the general explanation at this point is that each player receiving points chooses the order that his or her points are scored. To my knowledge, there is no order priority between players if more than one player is getting points.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
School question

Started by thehindujesus

4 Replies
Last post February 02, 2015, 05:58:14 PM
by thehindujesus
xx
The Ferries and the School interaction questions

Started by DaFees

5 Replies
Last post October 01, 2017, 12:32:33 PM
by Paul
xx
[WTB] Tower / Hills&Sheep / School / Little Buildings / Purple + Pink Meeple Set

Started by blaice

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2018, 05:41:29 PM
by blaice
xx
School Meeples

Started by Clownfeet

8 Replies
Last post May 12, 2016, 01:04:11 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Wind Roses and School