Author Topic: Errare humanum est  (Read 919 times)

Offline SxN

• Duke
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Errare humanum est
« on: April 13, 2021, 07:36:22 PM »
Hi All,

Here is the scenario: player places a tile in a wrong way (one of the edges does not match its neighbour). Nobody notices: too many bridges, big meeples, barns, the fairy... plus all the conversations and laughter and food and drinks... you know what I mean.The game goes on, perhaps features are scored with the wrong tile.

Later, someone sees the mistake - same player or another one, doesn't matter. What is the right approach?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5207.0

Offline Allograft

• Marquis
    • View Profile
Re: Errare humanum est
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 08:01:22 PM »
Let the good times roll! The legal doctrine of laches prevents any action being taken because reasonable persons would have been paying attention. But since others sat on their rights when the time was appropriate, they cannot later exercise them.

It's only a game. -  :pink-meeple:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 08:02:57 PM by Allograft, Reason: l\'homme moyen »

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 11:07:18 PM »
You flip the table upside down, yell at every player (and at the whole world by the way), chase them out of your home, and make a vow never to play with them anymore  >:D >:D ;D ;D

Just kidding !

Such mistakes may happen. If the turn during wich the mistake has been made is finished, it's too complicated to correct it. Just go on playing, keep having fun and laughing :yellow-meeple:

It's just a human mistake of the player who placed the tile, as well as of every other players who didn't notice it. This may happen to any of us.
As long as it isn't a habit to try placing wrong tiles without others noticing it it's not a problem. And if a player starts having such habit, well... Play with someone else  ;) (or make a statement at the beginning of the game that any player caught making such placement will get a penalty (-20 points for example)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 11:09:05 PM by corinthiens13 »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 02:22:10 AM »
I think it's fair game. 

For casual play, you'll probably just bodge it or continue. But at a competitive level, I expect the flow to be:

• You misplace a tile, either deliberately or by accident
  • Either:
    • Your opponent notices, calls the umpire, and you forfeit the match for playing an illegal move
    • Your opponent doesn't notice and continues to play their move
      • This get's interesting, because the board is in an illegal state
      • If your opponent continues to play on a board while it is in an illegal state, they are cheating.... YOU can call the umpire

That might sound crazy but it happened to Magnus Carlsen in a Chess match in 2017:

Offline SxN

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 06:00:30 AM »
Interesting decision in the chess game... Both players are under time pressure, so black's attack on the white king may be construed as a tactical move to play a psychological trick - which paid off. But is it really chess, particularly that he immediately called the position illegal, suggesting that he knew that he ignored a chess on his own king (and therefore was actually cheating)?

Anyway, this is about Carcassonne. In our case we decided to let the bygones be bygones, as it was a collective error in not seeing the illegal move in time. Although Corinthiens first suggestion would make the match more memorable...  ;D

Thanks all for your input.

Offline oldbonz

• Authors
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 108
  • jouer tout simplement
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2021, 06:52:56 AM »
this incredible incident is i guess extremely rare

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter