Author Topic: Advice on "relay shipping" from Germany to the U.S.?  (Read 2192 times)

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
Advice on "relay shipping" from Germany to the U.S.?
« on: June 16, 2017, 09:05:29 PM »
So I've been trying to find a Big Box and the prices for U.S. delivery are all well over $100 (before shipping is added) and thus way out of my reach. Several non-U.S. Amazon sites have various BBs for somewhat more affordable prices, but it seems that literally none of them will ship to the U.S. (and I've looked at a lot of items on a lot of different Amazons). Very frustrating.

So I'm wondering what options I might have to order one from amazon.de and ship it to an intermediary in Germany who will re-ship to the States — and what that might cost, in terms of the additional shipping and whatever fees this usually incurs. Also, would I have to set up an ongoing relationship (w/setup fees?) with a shipping relayer, or can I do this on an as-needed basis for one item at a time?

I have zero experience with this, and looking for advice/guidance from those of you who've done it before.

Very appreciative for any help.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3410.0
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: Advice on "relay shipping" from Germany to the U.S.?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2017, 10:13:17 PM »
Which Big Box are you referring to?

The one with 7th and 8th player is on sale for 50 Euro at the local store. Shipping is just under 20 Euro IF the package is under 2 kg. Else it can be 30 Euro and up. And lastly, there might be a custom fee added which I have no control over.

Hope this helps!

PS: This is the Scandinavian version with Finnish, Norweigan and Swedish rules only.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Squiffything

• Duke
  • Merit: 21
  • Do I smell onions?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 10:18:03 PM »
I bought the big box 2014 from Germany and paid £35 plus £5 for postage. It's now £37 plus postage. If they can't/won't post to the US then you could ask for someone in the U.K. To post it on for you. It'd add to the postage charge but would still keep the total cost down compared to what you are getting charged over there. No idea what the UK to US postage would be.
Oooo, look at all the meeples

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2017, 12:09:56 AM »
It's around about £30 to post a big package like the Carcassonne Big box to the USA.
I won't mention the price we saw them being sold at the end of Essen last year...I did well to resist.

Your other option might be to strip all the tiles down and not ship the box.  That will be much cheaper.  All the tiles can fit nicely inside the big blue tile bag. Including the score track.  Depends if you want the box!

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 07:56:17 AM »
I suppose it's easy to find an empty big box in the US ;).

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
A copy of "Die Belagerer" for either "Die Katharer" or "Die Kornkreise I"

Started by Hylian87

3 Replies
Last post September 11, 2013, 03:04:52 PM
by Hylian87
xx
Need advice for printing fan made expansions, and which are the best?

Started by Poron90

14 Replies
Last post June 29, 2015, 12:36:40 PM
by lomdr
smiley
So I did a thing ... need advice ...

Started by gantry

6 Replies
Last post April 24, 2023, 08:38:10 AM
by danisthirty
xx
Meeple resoration(?) advice