Author Topic: I love the postman...  (Read 1160207 times)

Offline chris6507

• Vassal
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
Re: I love the postman...
« Reply #3015 on: January 04, 2022, 12:43:03 AM »
I'm not planning on getting Carcassonne 3 (or 2.2), but is there actually anywhere someone has done a review/comparison? I see a lot of people saying they have got it, but can't find much about it. Just generally curious what it contains and how its different etc?

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3016 on: January 04, 2022, 12:47:28 AM »
Best to take a look at this thread:

https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5543.0

This iteration is mainly a refresh.

Offline totor66

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • Carcassonne semi completionnist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3017 on: January 06, 2022, 11:04:02 PM »
Yesteday was a good day !

I hadn't opened Ebay kleinanzeigen for a while (maybe a year) to search for Carcassonne stuff, my collection being complete but for a few minor things. But when I'm sitting at work with nothing to do before christmas, I kill time by buying missing stuff. Directly on first page was the "first edition Carcassonne box with scoretrack 70 pts", it seemed like destiny, that was the only last thing that was interesting me on the old rarities.

The person knew it was rare and the price was adequate (95 €), we chit chatted a bit, it was a very nice woman from hambourg, we agreed on 90 € with shipping to Bremen (really close like 200 km), she would ship after new years eve.

Packaged was sent, small scare when it was announced damaged by DHL and repackaged but I pretty much knew that if it continues journey, content inside would be fine. I could open the package today and here was the content

Not only was the box and content never played (you can easily say) but it had extra parts that was not advertised, expansion king and scout (pretty common but still) but there was a whole river from video game with codes on the back ! It was another rarity that I didn't have but never really interested me beccause I'm not into duplicate of same expansion. i'll keep it for a while but don't think I'm ever gonna play with it.

So overall really pleasant surprise, it was also really fun to read the original rules (just 4 pages) with different scoring farmer / small city. I have pictures for those who would be interested.

Carcassonne Fan since 2014

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #3018 on: January 07, 2022, 12:13:43 AM »
Congratulations!
Welcome to the club! That is a great find! And I've always liked the river tiles with the game codes, although without the game they are just river tiles hahaha

A great addition to you collection!
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: January 07, 2022, 01:23:03 AM »
Incredible find. :o Unexpected extras are always a nice surprise. Congrats!

Enjoy it all.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Weetek23

• Vassal
  • Merit: 0
  • Always ready of one more ... tile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: January 07, 2022, 02:08:46 AM »
Yesterday, a DHL guy rang our doorbell with this lovely post-Christmas delivery. Some time back, I though that with all early miniexpansions coming usually with a very significant price nowadays, I would be perfectly happy to get just any of the "Siege trilogy". But I was lucky enough to gradually gain Siege, Besiegers and finally also the legendary Cathars in a 2005 edition with a pristine copy of Spielbox Almanach. It is great feeling to get hands on this miniexpansion that started the 10-year affair between C1 miniexpansions and Spielbox magazine...

Also, putting aside few rarities/oddities (Darmstadt, Russian promos, La Porxada) and notoriously rare variants (Crop circles 1, Halflings 2) I now miss only Plague (into which I am not much, liking neither its aesthetics nor the mechanics) and I am done with my C1 collection. Which, in fact, sounds a bit odd... :-)

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #3021 on: January 07, 2022, 03:13:39 AM »
Another great find! Congrats with getting these; you don't see them too often anymore

And complete is a relative term, but there will always be something else to try and somehow track down  ;)

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: January 07, 2022, 05:26:19 AM »
The cathars!! One of my favourites mini expansions!! Enjoy it. emoji code18]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline chris6507

• Vassal
  • Merit: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3023 on: January 07, 2022, 05:43:44 AM »
The cathars!! One of my favourites mini expansions!! Enjoy it. emoji code18]

I have cult siege and creativity and to be honest im in a bit more of a collecting rather than playing phase at the moment. But keep wondering is siege enough? I keep feeling like i need beseiegers as it feels like 4 tiles isnt enough, but in others experience in actually playing, is 4 a comfortable amount to see in a game or are you left feeling like there should be more? Trying to convince myself to let go of the idea of needing beseigers, so hoping someone has some advice since it will probably be impossible to get with my budget. Lol.

Also, putting aside few rarities/oddities (Darmstadt, Russian promos, La Porxada) and notoriously rare variants (Crop circles 1, Halflings 2) I now miss only Plague.
What was it that made crop circles 1 and halflings 2 so rare? Sounds like they came out the same way as many other expansions?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 05:47:32 AM by chris6507 »

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: January 07, 2022, 09:59:18 AM »
But keep wondering is siege enough? I keep feeling like i need beseiegers as it feels like 4 tiles isnt enough, but in others experience in actually playing, is 4 a comfortable amount to see in a game or are you left feeling like there should be more?
Here are a couple of potentially helpful links.

Barbarian Report on Cathars  on BGG by @Whaleyland.  Here is the conclusion:
My final thought is that this expansion adds little to the game except a historical concept (which is nice) and another minor attack aspect. For a game that is mostly about feature-building and expanding, though, attack aspects are not entirely necessary, especially when they are dealing with trifling amounts of points. In the end, I'd say pass on this expansion unless you want it for its collectible value (like me) or are a completist (also me).

@Whaleyland also ran an Element of the Week Poll on this trio a few years ago, and most people there seemed to like the expansion.

I haven't played this expansion, but my guess is 4 is sufficient.  In our typical game with less than 100 tiles, there are usually a total of 8-10 completed cities, plus a couple of large incomplete cities and 2 or 3 important farms.  I think having 4 chances to attack a city and/or enhance a farm should be plenty.  It's a small change, not a total revision of the game.

I'm looking for besiegers because I prefer that art and I have an idea for a rules variation that I hope is less punitive and more tactical.  ???

Trying to convince myself to let go of the idea of needing beseigers...
Good luck with that.    >:D

If you give in to temptation, here is a Müller Exclusive complete game in a tin box that includes the Belagerer for 85 Euros + shipping (on German ebay, so you would have to get a CC user in Germany to buy and forward it along to US?)
https://www.ebay.de/itm/125043475959?hash=item1d1d2c05f7:g:Yx4AAOSwroVhsnHz

Offline Weetek23

• Vassal
  • Merit: 0
  • Always ready of one more ... tile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3025 on: January 10, 2022, 04:15:20 AM »

[/quote]
What was it that made crop circles 1 and halflings 2 so rare? Sounds like they came out the same way as many other expansions?
[/quote]

I was wondering about a same thing. Both were, as far as Wikicarpedia says, released through Cundco eshop. Is it that HiG made only a low number of copies that makes them much more expensive than their siblings?

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #3026 on: January 10, 2022, 08:20:39 AM »
It seems both have seem limited print runs, and through that have become rare.
I was surprised to see Halflings 2 get this status, as i remember it coming out through Cundco as normal, but that's how it sometimes goes

Over the holiday period i spent some time in Italy, meeting up with my partner's family and enjoying some time off :)
Of course i had to visit lots of board game stores and try to get some local pick ups.
After visiting stores in many places, including Venice, Bolzano and Florence, i didn't find much more than a few things.
Stratagemma in Florence had the most, being Carc20, BB6, BB7 and a few expansions. Nothing too special, but a nice selection.

It wasn't until the last place i visited, Conegliano, that i found a few nice things. A small games shop happened to have South Seas, and 2 C1 expansions that i quickly relieved them off:

I was looking for an Italian base game, but just couldn't find it :(

Luckily the internets was still open throughout the holidays, so when i got home, i had a few things waiting:

Top row:
ZMG 2019 base game
ZMG France 2019 base game
Carcassonne The City Cardboard box (Really happy to have found this one!)
Giochi Uniti 2019 base game (Found it in the UK of all places!)

Bottom row:
Korean base game
ZMG 2014 C2.0 base game

And today i could add this little one:

I've now started to rearrange my storage, hoping to fit it all in nicely :D

Offline Doom_Shark

• Vassal
  • Merit: 3
  • I swear I have a life...just not right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: January 10, 2022, 11:30:11 PM »
Wait, that artwork for Carcassonne: the City looks awfully familiar...

It turns out that after looking it up, the Carcassone spin-off came well before the Dominion expansion with this card, but I've been a Dominion player far longer than I've been interested in Carcassonne, so that was the first thing I thought of.

Edit: it also turns out that I have no idea how to actually add an image, so you can't actually see what I'm talking about, but trust me that RGG reused that artwork on a Dominion card
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 11:32:38 PM by Doom_Shark »

Offline Linkarssonne (Linksux)

• Duke
  • Merit: 42
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: January 11, 2022, 12:15:14 AM »
Wait, that artwork for Carcassonne: the City looks awfully familiar...

It turns out that after looking it up, the Carcassone spin-off came well before the Dominion expansion with this card, but I've been a Dominion player far longer than I've been interested in Carcassonne, so that was the first thing I thought of.

Edit: it also turns out that I have no idea how to actually add an image, so you can't actually see what I'm talking about, but trust me that RGG reused that artwork on a Dominion card

You are totally right !

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Offline The-Edge

• Duke
  • Merit: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: January 11, 2022, 03:30:44 AM »
Darmstadt is finally arrived.
I was searching for this one a long time .
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 03:39:49 AM by The-Edge »
To meeple or not to meeple, that's the question

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Love Letter & Love Letter Premium (Comparison)

Started by dirk2112

1 Replies
Last post January 02, 2018, 12:40:44 PM
by Willem
xx
I hate the postman..

Started by dirk2112

41 Replies
Last post April 20, 2016, 12:19:08 PM
by SRBO
clip
Can your postman dig a hole through the Earth to make Cundco shipping cheaper?

Started by Whaleyland

8 Replies
Last post November 27, 2020, 12:03:13 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Whilst I don't blame the postman, I object to his employers' business practices

Started by danisthirty

5 Replies
Last post May 01, 2016, 01:34:47 AM
by Paul
xx
I Love the Landscape!