Author Topic: Question about the rules: THE FORTUNE TELLER by JPutt927  (Read 8465 times)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Question about the rules: THE FORTUNE TELLER by JPutt927
« on: April 07, 2013, 07:22:07 AM »
The rule - page 2:
...As long as that Fortune Teller remains on the tile (until the tile has tiles on all four sides), that player will draw two tiles at the beginning of every turn. The player must choose which of those two tiles they would like to place. The tile that is not chosen is reshuffled with the remaining tiles.

...that player will draw two tiles at the beginning of every turn
Does that mean at the beginning of every turn from each player?

The player must choose which of those two tiles they would like to place.
Does that mean that the player decided which tile each player is able to place?

Does that mean as long as the Fortune Teller remains on the tile, only the owner of the Fortune Teller draws tiles (two for each beginning of every turn) for all the players and decided which tile they (the other players) could place?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=226.0

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
Re: Question about the rules: THE FORTUNE TELLER by JPutt927
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 08:01:17 AM »
I think the intention was that the player draws two tiles only on their own turn.

Offline kmitty

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 04:01:23 AM »
Just about to start using this expansion and was assuming it would work as Scott describes. I have another query and was interested in the view of anyone else using it regarding the scoring rule: the rule says that the fortune teller is complete when surrounded on its four sides at which point the person who laid the 4th tile gets 3 points. That scoring mechanism seems at odds with the rules for completing other features (cities, roads, cloisters etc) where the player owning the follower deployed on the feature gets the points. We were thinking that the latter would be fairer (and consistent) as it recompenses the owning player for losing the ability to draw multiple cards - any thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2013, 05:06:05 AM by kmitty »

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 09:03:05 AM »
Welcome to the CC Forum! It's good to see some interest in one of the older fanspansions.

I think the intent was to not doubly reward the player with the fortune teller. That player has already enjoyed the benefit of drawing the extra tile until the feature was completed, the author did not want to award 3 points on top of that.

Another way to look at it is the cost of having a fortune teller is the potential for an opponent to score three points when he ousts you. Often though the owning player has the opportunity to complete it and take the score - but elects not to because he is enjoying the extra tile.
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Fortune Teller and JPutt927

Started by Safari

9 Replies
Last post May 03, 2016, 02:25:46 PM
by karkids
xx
Clarifications about The Fortune Teller and double turns

Started by Meepledrone

9 Replies
Last post January 26, 2021, 01:47:16 PM