Carc Central Community > Unofficial Rules

Birthday in the Land of Cockaigne - Questions

(1/2) > >>

Carcking:
First off, congratulations to the folks over at CarcF for a very neat little fanspansion. This looks really fun to play. I like the idea that the tokens are hidden to the player until the end of the game - it's very thematic that you don't know what you're getting until you "open your gift" at the end of the game. It's quite festive! Group merit for CarcF!

I do have some questions as I read through the rules. Maybe they have to do with the translation but let's see.

1. Paragraph 3 states that a player may place a Cockaigne tile that completes a Cockaigne feature (9-tile grid) and collect 9 tokens. Here is the rule: "If a follower is placed as a Gourmet, the player gets 1 token, plus he gets 1 token for each already placed landscape tiles in the immediate vicinity around the Cockaigne landscape tile. In the best case he gets 9 tokens." Paragraph 4 seems to contradict this with this statement: "If the player places the Cockaigne landscape tile as the final tile and places the Gourmet, he only gets 1 point or 1 token (the gourmet bonus is eliminated in this case)." Which paragraph is correct?

I believe the intent of the sentence in paragraph 4 is as follows: "If the player placing the Cockaigne landscape tile as the final tile also has the Gourmet, he only gets 1 point or 1 token (the gourmet bonus is eliminated in this case)." That would make the rule consistent with paragraph 2 on page 1.

2. Just to be clear, when a player has the most of a type of token at game end they score 2 points per that type of token. Is that instead of the 1 point per tile that they are receiving in the prior sentence? Or in addition to it? Here is the rule: "Each players tokens at the front side are sorted by Cockaigne symbol for scoring - each player receives 1 point per token. If the player has the majority of a particular Cockaigne symbol, he receives 2 points for every token of this symbol. If several players have the majority for the same symbol, each player gets 2 points for each token of this symbol." Intuition points to "instead of" and not "in addition to"...but just to be clear...

3. Can an unoccupied Cockaigne tile be entered by a Magic Gate?

(Edit 1/15/14: I thought of more questions.)

4. If I place a tile in the vicinity of multiple Cockaigne tiles do I collect multiple tokens?

5. If I place a tile in the vicinity of multiple Cockaigne tiles on which I have a Gourmet may I collect multiple tokens or earn multple points?

6. If I place a tile in the vicinity of multiple Cockaigne tiles on one of which I have a Gourmet and on another of which my opponent has a Gourmet may I earn a point or a token and my opponent also earn a point?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=582.0

kettlefish:
Hi Carcking,

thanks for your interest in the CarcF fan-expansion,

at CarcF I have also posted your questions, because the rule in German should be more clear words in some paragraphs, than we are able to make a better translation.

When we have finished the rule in German, we had not much time, because Klaus-Juergen wanted his birthday present at the Spiel 2013 in Essen.

Here is the link to CarcF:
Geburtstag im Schlaraffenland - Regelfragen

kettlefish:

--- Quote ---4. Scoring during the game
When the Cockaigne landscape tile is fully surrounded by 8 tiles, the player who placed the final tile receives 1 token (the front of which he may not see), and the player whose Gourmet is located on the Cockaigne landscape tile receives 5 points (Gourmet bonus).
If the player places the Cockaigne landscape tile as the final tile and places the Gourmet, he only gets 1 point or 1 token (the gourmet bonus is eliminated in this case). Further scoring does not take place. The Gourmet is taken back to the player's supply.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---4. Wertungen waehrend des Spieles
Wenn die letzte Karte in der Umgebung einer Schlaraffenlandkarte angelegt wurde, erhaelt der Spieler, der die Karte anlegte, noch 1 Token und der Spieler, dessen Geniesser auf der Schlaraffenlandkarte liegt, erhaelt noch 5 Punkte (Geniesser-Bonus).
Sollte der Geniesser die letzte Karte selber gelegt haben, bekommt er nur 1 Punkt oder nur 1 Token (der Geniesser-Bonus entfaellt in diesem Fall). Eine weitere Wertung findet nicht statt, der Geniesser wird in den Vorrat des Spielers zurueckgenommen.

I have changed the special German letters in: ae, ue, ss
--- End quote ---

I think I did some mistake when I have translated the rule. I misunderstand the German rule and the itention of that part of the rule (second sentence).
-----------------------------------------
Here comes some talk between me and meepleater at CarcF in the rule-workshop:

The first sentence in papagraph 4:

kettlefish - my first translation:

--- Quote ---If the last landscape tile is placed in the vicinity of Cockaigne landscape tile, the player who placed the tile gets 1 token (the front of the token he may not see).and the player, whose Gourmet is located, on the Cockaigne landscape tile receives 5 points (Gourmet bonus).
--- End quote ---

meepleater:

--- Quote ---When the final landscape tile is placed in the vicinity of Cockaigne landscape tile, the player who placed the tile receives 1 token (the front of which he may not see), and the player whose Gourmet is located on the Cockaigne landscape tile receives 5 points (Gourmet bonus).
--- End quote ---

meepleater:

--- Quote ---My only other problem with the rules is this:
the first sentances under Scoring during the game are a little bit unclear:
I might possibly suggest changing the opening to both paragraphs from
- When the final landscape tile is placed in the vicinity of Cockaigne landscape tile, the player who placed the tile receives 1 token...
to
- When the Cockaigne landscape tile is fully surrounded by 8 tiles, the player who placed the final tile receives 1 token...
, but that is fully up to you.
--- End quote ---

kettlefish:
I think this should be a better interpretation of the rule

paragraph 4 - 2nd sentence:

--- Quote ---Sollte der Geniesser die letzte Karte selber gelegt haben, bekommt er nur 1 Punkt oder nur 1 Token (der Geniesser-Bonus entfaellt in diesem Fall).
--- End quote ---
The 2nd sentence in German refers to the first sentence which said the last landscape tile in the vicinity of the Cocaigne landscape tile (one of the 8 surrounding landscape tiles)

--- Quote ---If the player (which has a Gourmet on the Cockaigne landscape tile) places the last landscape tile in the vicinity of that Cockaigne landscape tile, he's getting only 1 point or only 1 token (the gourmet bonus is eliminated in this case).
--- End quote ---

kettlefish:

--- Quote from: Carcking on January 14, 2014, 06:54:25 PM ---4. If I place a tile in the vicinity of multiple Cockaigne tiles do I collect multiple tokens?
--- End quote ---
Yes

--- Quote from: Carcking on January 14, 2014, 06:54:25 PM ---5. If I place a tile in the vicinity of multiple Cockaigne tiles on which I have a Gourmet may I collect multiple tokens or earn multple points?
--- End quote ---
You have the choice to get one point or one token for each of your Gourmets. If the placement of a surrounding tile finish one of the features with your Gourmets then you get only one point or one token for this - no Gourmet bonus.

--- Quote from: Carcking on January 14, 2014, 06:54:25 PM ---6. If I place a tile in the vicinity of multiple Cockaigne tiles on one of which I have a Gourmet and on another of which my opponent has a Gourmet may I earn a point or a token and my opponent also earn a point?
--- End quote ---
You get one token for the feature of the opponents Gourmet and that player gets one point (or 5 Gourmet bonus points if the opponents feature with his/her Gourmet is finished).
You get also one point or one token (your choice) for your own Gourmet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version