Author Topic: 'Turn Totem'  (Read 6117 times)

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
'Turn Totem'
« on: November 06, 2016, 01:32:31 AM »
Hello all,

This is something my best girl and I started doing several months ago, and I thought I'd share it as I'm curious to see if anyone else does something similar.

When we started playing, we had a little problem in that she would occasionally draw her next time before I had finished by turn. This was partly due to her impatience, partly my vacillating over placements. I had to explain that her seeing her next tile before I've placed mine wasn't ideal. It's possible that it could cause problems (thoughts?). And, actually, when we starting playing with elements such as the builder or bazaars, it did cause problems. Enter, the totem.

We started passing an object back and forth to indicate who's turn it is. The object in question happens to be a large, wooden die she bought me a few weeks prior (just because she thought I'd like it, isn't she sweet?). It now serves multiple purposes (watch this space). Anyway, the rule is, when you have the die, you are the active player and can draw your tile, move it around, consider followers, etc. It continues to be your turn until you relinquish the die, and up to that point, you can change your mind, move your tile, whatever. Your turn is not fixed until you pass the die (the Carcassonne equivalent of letting go of the piece in chess). Once you have passed it on, that's the end of your go, and anything you have done is sealed.

When you don't have the die, it is not your go. You cannot draw your tile until the die has been passed to you.

We like this, because apart from clearly marking who's turn it is and preventing early tile drawing, it keeps everyone honest. If someone plays a tile, then spots a different, better move, we don't have any "you can't do that, you've let go of the tile" "you've already placed a follower, you can't change your mind" type comments. It means no one gets upset because some dictatorial rule monster shouts at them for trying to move their tile then ends up winning on a technicality.

We use it in every game now. It does get a bit complicated with bazaars, but other than that we have had few problems. It's great!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2954.0
Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south.

Offline asparagus

• Count
  • Merit: 11
  • I am a meeple not a sheeple.
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
Re: 'Turn Totem'
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 01:26:57 AM »
Good work.

I have seen this idea in lot's of games. I can't remember which one now, but in some game we would just forget to the pass the token. Then it's not so great. I think the token was not that important in that game and so we would forget.

In evolution it's very important and the game comes with a big dinosaur for the purpose.

It also reminds me of backgammon. In a proper set there is not a token as such - each player has their own pair of dice. The rule is as long as you have not picked up your dice you can change your mind. I think that suits that game a lot.

In Carcassonne I guess we use the tile bag for this purpose but not as strictly as one would in backgammon.

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 01:59:07 AM »
In our games players should draw tiles right after their turn. So they have time to think over the placement and so on until they have their turn and it speeds up their game. But with some players an active-player- totem would help them to prevent placing their tile too early.

Offline asparagus

• Count
  • Merit: 11
  • I am a meeple not a sheeple.
    • View Profile
    • Fan Expansion Wiki
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 02:19:07 AM »
In our games players should draw tiles right after their turn. So they have time to think over the placement and so on until they have their turn and it speeds up their game. But with some players an active-player- totem would help them to prevent placing their tile too early.

That does not play so well with mechanisms that allow extra turns such as builders and messengers. I guess though consistency is all that really matters. If you earn an extra tile on the last tile and there are no more tiles, then you don't get your earnings. This would just bring it forward,

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 01:12:43 PM »
now I know what to do with my giant meeple.  Thanks!

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 01:33:47 PM »
We do the same.  We put the tiles back if someone has a builder or similar.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Christopher

• Count
  • Merit: 12
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 02:01:24 PM »
now I know what to do with my giant meeple.  Thanks!

Good evening, Decar  :)

You're welcome!

I have tried this in the past and do like it, but I didn't like the problems it caused with builders etc, so stopped doing it. Glad it works for you though!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 03:04:49 AM »
I have tried this in the past and do like it, but I didn't like the problems it caused with builders etc, so stopped doing it. Glad it works for you though!
In our games we let players to draw next tile, but only if we can be sure there won't be an extra turn. For example, we keep tracking:
- if a player has his builder in play;
- if messenger tile #7 is going to be one of the next ones;
- if one of the drawn tiles includes a bazaar (we just ask).

But, anyway, nice idea! And thanks to Decar for his idea of giant meeple "employment" :D
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline gantry

• Administrator
  • Chatelain
  • Merit: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 08:20:51 PM »
We draw from a cloth bag, so once your turn is done you pass the bag.

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 06:38:02 AM »
Here's what we do:
1. Everyone draws at the end of the turn and keeps thinking (or pretends to be thinking ;))
2. We don't play with messenger expansion or the bazaar component, so we don't get that complication.
3. The last few tiles can't be drawn at the end of the turn in case players need builder-turns.
4. In case of a builder in the middle of the game, no one returns the tile. The active player just draw the next one in the stack or one of the stacks. We use the holder in the Power expansion, and all the tiles that cannot fit in the holder, form multiple piles in front of each player.
Not returning the tiles drawn at the end of one's turn is precisely just shuffling a small part of the tile pool. We do that anyway. Sometimes we just feel like drawing from "someone else's" stack. I imagine some people might think we introduce extra manipulation into what is the next tile, but shuffling the tiles is precisely just a way to randomize. A bag of Carcassonne tiles "is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you are gonna get". Drawing this tile or that tile means the same to any one before you flip it.

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
  • Merit: 21
  • คาคาร์ซอนน์ fan in Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 03:22:57 AM »
Here's what we do:
1. Everyone draws at the end of the turn and keeps thinking (or pretends to be thinking ;))
2. We don't play with messenger expansion or the bazaar component, so we don't get that complication.
3. The last few tiles can't be drawn at the end of the turn in case players need builder-turns.
4. In case of a builder in the middle of the game, no one returns the tile. The active player just draw the next one in the stack or one of the stacks. We use the holder in the Power expansion, and all the tiles that cannot fit in the holder, form multiple piles in front of each player.
Not returning the tiles drawn at the end of one's turn is precisely just shuffling a small part of the tile pool. We do that anyway. Sometimes we just feel like drawing from "someone else's" stack. I imagine some people might think we introduce extra manipulation into what is the next tile, but shuffling the tiles is precisely just a way to randomize. A bag of Carcassonne tiles "is like a box of chocolate, you never know what you are gonna get". Drawing this tile or that tile means the same to any one before you flip it.

My thoughts exactly.  :(y)
Fan Expansions: Fiefs | Labyrinths | Schoolhouses | Vistas
Poetry Website: michaelstalcup.com

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 05:26:53 AM »
My thoughts exactly.  :(y)

Oh wow, I feel so flattered now.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Competition Rules Clarification: When is a U-turn not a U-turn?

Started by rfielder

9 Replies
Last post August 28, 2014, 03:13:33 PM
by Paul
xx
Turn Summary by Skull One

Started by kettlefish

0 Replies
Last post February 14, 2013, 01:28:12 AM
by kettlefish
xx
Goldmines - can you claim gold bars on the same turn that you placed them?

Started by jungleboy

4 Replies
Last post September 18, 2015, 12:18:28 PM
by jungleboy
xx
scoring during turn little buildings

Started by davide

5 Replies
Last post March 10, 2022, 03:21:28 PM
by davide
xx
No bonus turn for builder due to volcano tile