Author Topic: Carcassonne Central on BGA  (Read 2700 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne Central on BGA
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2022, 09:31:44 AM »
Mail issue is to set limits and rules what happens if match will be not played or finished.

All of this is handled through BGA. To the best of my knowledge though, all games are created automatically by the tournament schedule and players are assigned to them. This happens at the scheduled start of the tournament and upon the end of each round/ start of the next round cycle.

In a turn-based game both players have a certain amount of time which might be something like 3, 4 or 5 days (I think you set this when you create the tournament) which gradually ticks down while it's your turn. Whenever you log on and play your next move, the timer moves over to the other player and their timer starts ticking down instead of yours. So typically it might involve logging into BGA half a dozen times a day and playing your next move, or sometimes if both players happen to be online at the same time the game ends up being played pseudo-synchronously (i.e. it's still an asynchronous game but both players are there playing at the same time) and is over quickly without any risk of going over time. It's then a case of waiting for the other games in this round to finish before the tournament allocates your next opponent and everyone moves on to the next round.

It IS possible for you to run out of time and for your timer to go negative and continue decreasing. The game doesn't end automatically if this happens, but your opponent can choose to kick you out of the game and get a win by default if they choose to do so. This isn't mandatory and there are no rules regarding whether this should always be expected. In other words, it depends on the player. However, the game WILL end automatically if a certain amount of time has elapsed since it began (i.e. there is a maximum game duration). If this happens, the player with the most time left will be given the win.

In this way, BGA is somewhat stricter than we used to be when we played through JCZ but this will at least ensure that everything happens in line with a pre-defined schedule and we don't have to/ can't make any allowances for those who either don't show up or don't complete their games within the allowed time. As long as everyone who signs up is willing and able to keep a keen eye on BGA for a few days at a time then I don't see this disadvantaging anyone. Another advantage with BGA is that all game results are recorded, as are the games themselves so it's possible to re-watch others' games ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 09:34:47 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2022, 12:23:06 PM »
Yes. Tournament are fine. Some issues was there on World Championship but regular turn based setup is fine.

+1 merit @danisthirty
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2022, 06:05:25 AM »
Hey all. Quick update to say that as a result of the polls we will be running a Swiss-style basegame competition on BGA. 8) :(y)

I've created the tournament as a private tournament which means it won't be listed on BGAs tournament search page, but it is accessible to anyone who has the link which I've shared via my post on the CarcC BGA group which can be found here: https://www.boardgamearena.com/group?id=12347445 .

Future updates will probably be shared directly to our BGA group page rather than here so this is your final warning if this is something you think you might like to get involved in. I will however post here again in the advance of our next tournament.

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2022, 02:18:57 AM »
Good to have some posts on the forum for the players. It has been a while.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Carcassonne Central Worldcup 2023 (BGA Tournament)

Started by Linkarssonne (Linksux)

66 Replies
Last post October 18, 2023, 02:57:36 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Carcassonne Central Worldcup 2023 (BGA Tournament)

Started by Linkarssonne (Linksux)

1 Replies
Last post August 02, 2023, 09:15:08 AM
by Linkarssonne (Linksux)
xx
Known bugs in Carcassonne implementation on BGA

Started by Bumsakalaka

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2022, 01:53:57 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Our First BGA Tournament - Style