Author Topic: How to time games  (Read 2733 times)

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
Re: How to time games
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2021, 03:35:59 AM »
corinthiens13, your post was perfect, but we will have to make a number of changes since we do not play with all of the expansions that you do.

The only issues that our group will have to discuss is that using a Halfling or an Abbey is normally something you have to decide before you draw a tile. But, if we all play by the same rules we can do it your way.

Also, it could interfere with a builder second turn at the end of the game when the stack is empty and other players have a next turn tile in front of them.  My guess is that our group will decide that if that happens, you merely take the last player’s tile as your builder second turn.
Totally addicted to this game

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2021, 04:09:15 AM »
The only issues that our group will have to discuss is that using a Halfling or an Abbey is normally something you have to decide before you draw a tile. But, if we all play by the same rules we can do it your way.

This is the idea, every player plays with the same rule so it's ok even if it changes some of the game mechanics. It was the simplest way I could find to draw at the end of the game and still include those expansions.

Also, it could interfere with a builder second turn at the end of the game when the stack is empty and other players have a next turn tile in front of them.  My guess is that our group will decide that if that happens, you merely take the last player’s tile as your builder second turn.

We play that if there isn't any tile left in the stack when you get a double turn (builder, message, 20 anniversary...), you skip your double turn and pass to the next player. But your suggestion could be worth to try, I'd be glad to hear a feedback about it.

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2021, 04:55:34 AM »

As I continue to think about this, before taking it to my group for their input, my current thought is to change the second line of your “If the stack is empty at the beginning of your turn” list

From

If you have a tile drawn during a previous turn, you may play a turn with it, otherwise, you skip your turn

To

If it is your turn, the stack is empty, and other players have “next turn tiles”: you can take any players next turn tile! This could happen because they played an Abbey or Halfling or Builder second turn.

This change only happens at the very end of the game when the stack is empty.  Players still take their turn in the “normal” order, but you could lose your personal “next turn tile” and have to steal another one when the actual stack is empty, again, this only happens when the stack is empty at the end of the game.

I'm also following this thread for feedback!

PS: Our group has only been playing Carcassonne since June 2021.  One of our players has really moved forward from “finishing my features” to how I can best play this tile for myself or against the other players.  We are all taunting him to play faster, and this post may very well be our answer!  Thanks again!

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2021, 06:40:56 AM »
This could be an idea, tell us how it went and any issues encountered once you tried it  :yellow-meeple:

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2021, 07:46:36 AM »
Have not talked to the group yet, but came up with another bazaar thought, what happens when you play a Bazaar tile?  The rules say that the Bazaar cannot occur unless there are at least enough tiles in the deck for everyone to bid on one.  With the new rule concept, there might be enough face down next turn tiles, but not enough other tiles in the deck.

My personal thoughts are that the tiles for the Bazaar should be the face down tiles that everyone has plus whatever else is required from the deck.  After the Bazaar bidding is over, that is when everyone draws a new face down next tile.

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2021, 09:02:21 AM »
This is one of the reasons why I consider the stack only as the stack, and never draw tile from other players.

So I play that if the stack is empty, you do not make the action / pass to the next player. The tiles in the player's hands are a bit considered as halflings/german castles/abbeys, other players cannot draw them.

This avoids some issues when mixing expansions, and drawing from other players may become tricky when tiles are going back and forth between players.

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2021, 09:41:24 AM »
Quote from: corinthiens13
This is one of the reasons why I consider the stack only as the stack, and never draw tile from other players.

So I play that if the stack is empty, you do not make the action / pass to the next player. The tiles in the player's hands are a bit considered as halflings/german castles/abbeys, other players cannot draw them.

This avoids some issues when mixing expansions, and drawing from other players may become tricky when tiles are going back and forth between players.

During the game I totally agree that a player's drawn next tile should never be touched.  At the end of the game, I'm not sure that the drawn next tiles should stand in the way of "normal play". In a four player game, if a Bazaar tile is played with only 3 tiles in the stack plus 3 more tiles in front of the other players, there are enough tiles to do the auction, so should the auction take place or be ignored?

We could also talk about builder second turns when the stack is empty!

When the stack is less than the number of players, the tiles are not going back and forth, they are only being taken back to stay within the normal flow at the very end of the game.

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2021, 10:59:42 AM »
Fortune teller may make the tiles go back and forth...

Anyway, there's no "we should" or "we shouldn't", those are house rules, try it, and give us a feedback :yellow-meeple:

But you have to be consistent, if you allow drawing from other player's supply for bazzar when the stack is empty, you have to allow it for builder, message and other double turns.

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2021, 02:14:22 PM »
There is one negative that was brought up so far.  As a relatively new group, only been playing since June 2021, we generally talk to each other after every move, make suggestions, and sometimes ask others for their opinions on move A or B.  If we start knowing what our next tile will be, can we be sure that our advice and comments won’t be altered by what our next move will be?

Maybe we can try every other game knowing our next move!

Offline joanBC

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
  • I have updated my profile already!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2021, 11:00:32 AM »
There's an Android app called: The Game Timer: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mitch3a.gametimer

I've got a couple of these, are are pretty fun: https://www.amazon.co.uk/DGT-Cube-6-Player-Game-Timer/dp/B004S56RJG

I dont think they sold well unfortunately.

Thanks! this App looks useful in my case...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
Elapsed time playing league games.

Started by loki

6 Replies
Last post June 18, 2015, 07:17:24 AM
by rfielder
xx
Help in scheduling games with players in different time zones

Started by Gerry

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2014, 05:49:21 AM
by Gerry
question
What games did you enjoy at UK games expo (or other games convention)?

Started by asparagus

4 Replies
Last post June 09, 2016, 02:27:25 AM
by asparagus
clip
First time Fan-expansions: The Lake and Wells

Started by BT

5 Replies
Last post April 29, 2013, 10:43:16 AM
by kettlefish
xx
Carcassonne C1 Rule Trivia Time!