Poll

How would you describe your view of the difference in art styles?

C1 Purist - I don’t want any C2 visuals clashing with my C1 beauty.
26 (27.7%)
C1 Converter - I will buy minimal C2* and convert it to C1 aesthetics.
14 (14.9%)
C1 Preferrer - But I will mix in minimal C2* as needed/desired.
9 (9.6%)
Dual-Moder - I have both styles; we play one or the other, but usually not both together.
20 (21.3%)
Mix/Matcher - I don’t care about aesthetics, it all plays.
6 (6.4%)
C2 Preferrer - But I will mix in a few C1 things (if affordable/cool/essential/whatever).
3 (3.2%)
C2 Converter - I will convert my C1 stuff to C2 aesthetics.
2 (2.1%)
C2 Purist - I don’t want any C1 visuals clashing with my C2 beauty.
14 (14.9%)
Other - explain in thread.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 94

Author Topic: Thoughts on converting C2 tiles to C1 artwork style  (Read 25936 times)

Offline Mystique

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Off this threads topic, im new to whole thread >_< but uh...
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2017, 12:46:13 AM »
How can you message a user that is not your friend or have nor accepted your invite yet? Had a user send me a message while also sent an invite notif...thanks guys.

Btw...artwork seems alright looking. I never really like change because you usually get used to the original look first, like when you watch a multi-movie main character then they change them to someone else.  ???

Btw this forum really makes you work for your replies lmao! >:D

Offline Mystique

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Off this threads topic, im new to whole thread >_< but uh...
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 12:49:46 AM »
How can you message a user that is not your friend or have nor accepted your invite yet? Had a user send me a message while also sent an invite notif...thanks guys.

Btw...artwork seems alright looking. I never really like change because you usually get used to the original look first, like when you watch a multi-movie main character then they change them to someone else.  ???

Btw this forum really makes you work for your replies lmao! >:D

P.s. this is for carcassone online app for android through google play
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 12:55:38 AM by Mystique »

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
Re: Thoughts on converting C2 tiles to C1 artwork style
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 02:10:29 AM »
I have got my C1 collection about as complete as i can/want, and i have all the C2 expansions as well, that we sometimes use in our C1 games. I must say i have admitted to ordering a C2 game, and the 2017 big box is looking very seductive at me...
But we will probably play the versions separate, mixing in sometimes if we want certain expansions. We do this with the winter edition (sometimes) already
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Just a Bill

• Marquis
  • Merit: 47
  • I'm still in beta.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2017, 07:37:46 PM »
My "C1 Converter" attempt at Acrobat tiles

Again, I have too many elements here. Just spamming the tile to see what does and doesn't look good. I did this acrobat tile first so I could start to find out whether or not I can live with my hacked garden symbol. The jury's still out....
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:48:05 AM by Just a Bill »
My stuff: The Caverns of Carcassonne | Wheel of Fortune versions | True North (wind roses) | Icon facelifts | Converting CII to CI | Signposts & the Château | The Vault | Riverboats & the Whirlpool | trade list

Offline ARabidMeerkat

• Count
  • Merit: 2
  • To play or not to play... that is the question!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2017, 01:35:59 PM »
Just A Bill... This is brilliant! Merit for you!
If only I had another Halfling.....

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 03:23:08 PM »
Hi guys,

I just found out about your converting discussion here. Several weeks ago CarcF could stipulate an agreement with HiG about doing conversions between classic Carc and Carc II. Beforehand we had a long discussion if we could comit a copyright infringement when we convert real expansions, especially if we talk about big ones. So in order to be on the safe side PresetM negotiated an agreement with HiG.

It consists of eight points and you can find it here (unfortunatlely only in German and for registered users) if you want to read it. The most important point is that we are only allowed to do two conversions per half year and have to inform HiG about our conversion plans. Also the final version of the expansion has to be approved by the publisher. There are even some restraints on where the expansions can be downloaded afterwards and where we are allowed to create them. At the moment I'm not sure if the agreement also includes conversions done here on CarcC, but I'm afraid the publisher only wants to see conversion projects on CarcF.

I just wanted to inform you, in order that CarcC is on the safe side. I wouldn't like it if we got problems with HiG.

Nevertheless, congrats to your great conversion attempts Just a Bill! They look gorgeous! Also congrats to CarcCZ member Chmura for his attempt (also if the squares look a bit too corn fieldish for me  ;) ) I also uploaded what came out during the conversion discussion on CarcF.

If it is really the case that HiG only allows conversion projects on CarcF, I'd love to see all you creative heads, who are interested in helping to do a high quality job (another condition in the agreement), on CarcF!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 07:58:30 AM by Safari, Reason: Possible misunderstandings due to wrong wording »
Safari

(\__/)
 (O.o )
 (> < )
 This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Offline DaFees

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2017, 07:14:57 PM »
Merit to you Safari for the informative post. I've tried my hand printing some of the fan made conversions and while they were serviceable the quality definitely varied from one conversion to the next. Part of that may have been the fault of my printing process but either way I find the prospect of these conversions having some standardization on some level exciting.

Now I could probably try to read the discussion on CarcF but I'll ask my questions here so members here can benefit. Do the conversions only include CC2 to CC1 or what about conversions to the winter edition? Also do the rules say anything about single tile promos/expansions like the Spiel tiles? I mean would converting all the Spiel promo tiles count as one of the two biannual conversions or would each tile count as one of the conversions?

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 04:52:00 AM »
Thanks for the informative post Safari, I thought this was the case.  Please could people remove their images from the above posts until we've conformed with the publishers request.

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2017, 10:36:28 AM »
PresetM informed me that the agreement is only valid for CarcF, so unfortunately converting expansions somewhere else is considered against the rules. If you want to make conversions also here on CarcC, according to PresetM you need your own agreement with HiG. But he is afraid that HiG might not like to see more than two conversions per half a year, and therefore it might not want to sign a second agreement.

However, both, PresetM and I, would be delighted if you joined the conversion work that will take place on CarcF. Especially if I look at the great work of Just a Bill, I'm sure it would be a pitty, if we missed out on your tallent!

The agreement doesn't say anything about which conversions are included. Sure, the intention was Carc II to classic Carc and vice versa, but it might be interpretet in another way in the future. This is why we paused all conversion projects in any direction at the moment.

Since we have to propose a conversion project to HiG before we are allowed to start the work on it, I guess one proposal for conversion counts as one regardless of the tiles the expansion contains. The publisher already accepted a conversion by PresetM that contained all the Abbot tiles from the new artwork, so I guess if we propose a conversion of the expansion "Spiel tiles", this will be counted as one conversion either.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 08:01:56 AM by Safari, Reason: Possible missunderstandings due to wrong wording »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2017, 02:12:22 PM »
Hmm. So now we are in the situation where members of CarcF and permitted to do something that we at CarcC are not? With the upmost respect for all those involved, that stinks...

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2017, 02:22:46 PM »
Hmm. So now we are in the situation where members of CarcF and permitted to do something that we at CarcC are not? With the upmost respect for all those involved, that stinks...

Quote!

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2017, 02:33:43 AM »
Given that Carcassonne Central, doesn't have a process or policy in place to verify fan-expansions, I can't see how Carcassonne Central would even be considered by the publisher as an organised entity anyway.  We have no Quality Control Process, HiG want to ensure that even fan-expansions meet their undefined quality criteria  :(y)

Offline aenima

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2017, 02:49:18 AM »
sure, but Carcassonne Central is international; Carcassonne Forum is only german...
teorically from here there are more fanmade stuffs that come out that could be permiddet, approvated or...

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2017, 03:06:27 AM »
We are not an organisation and as such we cannot have an agreement with HiG.  If I agree something with HiG that agreement doesn't apply to you aenima  :(y)

As you said Carcassonne Central is open to everyone  :(y)

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2017, 04:58:44 AM »
And my interpretation is that this only applies to reproducing expansions that have already been published by HiG (and others such as Z-Man?) (but in the other style), not alternative tiles/ideas such as most of the fan expansions.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 09:23:37 AM by wolnic »
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
Spiel Promo tiles - art style(s)

Started by cicerunner

14 Replies
Last post February 06, 2020, 05:04:22 AM
by Murphy013
xx
WTB: Princess and the dragon with watermarks in tiles (OLD STYLE)

Started by DrMeeple

5 Replies
Last post July 24, 2019, 01:56:23 AM
by DrMeeple
xx
converting a city into a castle

Started by aicul

9 Replies
Last post August 18, 2013, 09:05:29 AM
by Tilehunt
xx
Thoughts: UK Castles for a Mini-Expansion