Author Topic: Tile Modifiers  (Read 900 times)

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
Tile Modifiers
« on: January 16, 2023, 07:28:12 PM »
When you need a specific tile edge to place against another tile edge, what features are available in Carcassonne to modify the edge(s) of the tile you are placing, on the tile you are placing your tile against?

The first thing that comes to mine are the Bridges from Expansion 8.  You can only place one bridge on the board each turn, but you can use a bridge to modify a single xFxF tile into an xRxR tile.

The second tile I can think of is Abbey tile from Expansion 5 which can only be placed in a four sided hole, and it automatically makes all four sides of the Abbey fit against all four sides of the hole.

The third thing I can think of in the standard games are the Halfling tiles.  The basically change the shape of the hole they are being placed into so you only have to match two sides.

There is also one other, non-standard, expansion created by kothmann call Old City.  His personal expansion includes wooden Wall and Gate pieces that can be placed on the edge of a city tile to allow a field or road to be placed directly against the city tile.

Does anyone else know of any other expansions that allow for the edges of the files to be modified as they are played?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6244.0
Totally addicted to this game

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
  • Merit: 34
  • Fight, Flight, Freeze ..... or Play :)
    • View Profile
Re: Tile Modifiers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 11:33:03 PM »
You might want to check "City Gates". It is not a tile modifier like you are looking for, but it uses a new technique to combine cities directly with fields.

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2023, 01:48:55 AM »
There are a couple of fan expansions that include City Caps that can be added to a city looking for just a single tile edge. I’ll dig out the names later. One was by Chmura, and the other I just noticed on BGG was bundled with a centre table scoreboard. There might have been one other, but I'll have to check.

[Edit:]
Chmura's "City Token" is only available on the CarcCZ site, but I've added a thumbnail of the pieces below.

The BGG one is "Annex and scoring track start tile" by drewdane - https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/78984/annex-and-scoring-track-start-tile

There is also a development idea on CarcF called "The Postern Gate" which allows a player to place such a token (marked with an exit arrow) on an already played tile with a city cap through which they could have a trapped follower be removed from the city, or where they are no longer in the majority.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 03:54:19 AM by wolnic »
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2023, 02:01:40 PM »
There is also one other, non-standard, expansion created by kothmann call Old City.  His personal expansion includes wooden Wall and Gate pieces that can be placed on the edge of a city tile to allow a field or road to be placed directly against the city tile.
I recently discovered that my idea was not really original: @asparagus had proposed a very similar idea in 2014.

In 2017, @GinCarc proposed a related idea that allows walls between two city edges, dividing a city from within.  @Leven had evidently developed similar rules but posted only a (super cool) photo in 2016.

In 2014, @quevy proposed adding fences to divide fields, but the photo link is broken so it isn’t clear if the intention is only to place the fences at F-F edges or whether they can be placed somewhere else?

And since there is a Piet Hein for every John Nash, there was also a 2013 Fences by @Gwommy and @elmendalerenda, with similar, if more elaborate ideas.

This leaves only R-R junctions without a modifier?  Google took me to a 2009 (old forum) brainstorming thread about road blocks and tollhouses (“road barns”) that look interesting.

Let us know if you play any of these!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
smiley
[WTT] Spiel 22 promo tile for Spiel 23 promo tile - Done => Topic can be closed

Started by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

2 Replies
Last post November 21, 2023, 04:34:18 PM
by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)
xx
Why cities score 2 points/tile instead of 1 point/tile?

Started by lucian

1 Replies
Last post May 11, 2018, 02:45:09 AM
by Decar
xx
WTT LebC tile with Spiel 2015 tile

Started by supertopix

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2021, 12:08:57 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
WTT/WTB Russian Carcassonne (Single-Count-Tile, Gingerbreadman-Tile...)

Started by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

15 Replies
Last post June 30, 2017, 02:28:32 AM
by Yashin-n
xx
Trade my Spiel 14 tile for your Spiel 15 tile

Started by pinback

0 Replies
Last post October 17, 2015, 10:16:55 AM
by pinback