Carc Central Community > General

What defines "Mega-Carcassonne"?

(1/7) > >>

rfielder:
Is there a definition of when the game goes from Carcassonne to megaCarc?  In another discussion, the suggested limit was 200 tiles.

We have 210 tiles in use at this time.  Games take 2 to 2.5 hours for two people.  We are likely going to add the Gold Mines next time we play, for a total of 218.  That will be it for a while.  The bag was are using is one my partner made a long time ago for other purposes, so it has nothing about Carcassonne on the outside, but it works well and will hold a few more if needed.

We play on our dining room table - a very old wood monster that has four leaves stored internally.  We had it refurbished a few years ago, and the workers reported that the table was so old that parts if it were held together with horse glue.  It is much wider than a normal table, allowing you to sit two crowded adults or two comfortable childern at the ends.  The width makes it perfect for Carcassonne.

Who else plays megaCarc?  How many times are actually in use for a game?  How long do the games take?  What do you use for a table?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=713.0

coyote:
I haven't counted (maybe I should!) but we have about 200 tiles. Maybe just under. Our two-player games usually take about 2.5-3 hours.
We use all tiles, but hand-pick rules to use for each game, and some riles (Mage & Witch, Dragon, Tower) add more time to the game than others (Ferries, etc.)

Edit to add: We are also limited to the size of our table - so we have a house rule essentially stating that you HAVE to put a tile down if drawn. This forces "no holes" in the landscape, and causes the goods (Wine, Cloth, Wheat) to alter game play.

--Me

rfielder:

--- Quote from: coyote on April 15, 2014, 07:06:51 AM ---We use all tiles, but hand-pick rules to use for each game, and some riles (Mage & Witch, Dragon, Tower) add more time to the game than others (Ferries, etc.)
--- End quote ---
How do the Mage & Witch add time?  We draw a tile, place the tile, place the Mage or Witch, and keep player.  Not sure why that would add any time?

--- Quote from: coyote ---Edit to add: We are also limited to the size of our table - so we have a house rule essentially stating that you HAVE to put a tile down if drawn. This forces "no holes" in the landscape, and causes the goods (Wine, Cloth, Wheat) to alter game play.
--- End quote ---
Sorry, but I am not clear on this.  Any tile drawn must be played.  Holes in the landscape are normal, and are perfect for monasteries and volcanoes.  Or towers.

Our rule is that a tile must sit on the table.  It can stick out over the edge, but if it won't sit by itself (in other words, if it will fall off), then it can't be played.  No overlapping tiles at the table edge.

Paul:
We also use the table as the limit, albeit next megaCarc, even filling all the holes, the table has become too small. So, we're going to try the floor as suggested last year by other CarcassonneCentral members. I hope my back survives this!

For quite some time now, we've added a rule to help fill in the holes, which benefits (mostly) the player placing the tile:

If the player placing the tile scores no point this turn (from any source), that player gets 1 point for each side the tile placed is adjacent another tile on the board.

This allow a player to fill in a hole and get up to four points if it touches all sides.

:meeple:

danisthirty:
Most of the games I play tend to have between 150 and 170 tiles although I generally play with just 100 to 120 if there's only 2 of us playing.

Fortunately my dining table is big enough to accommodate this many tiles without the edge being a problem. I have heard about people inventing house-rules however, whereby any features that reach the edge of the table are completed in the same way as an abbey would do provided they're not still open elsewhere!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version