Author Topic: Meeple comparison (wooden, frozen, phantoms, teachers, minis, unofficials...etc)  (Read 4979 times)

Offline unclewill

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
Thanks corinthiens13 and all the contributors to this thread, it's really useful. It is great to see all the different variations lined up on parade.

I got hold of some mini meeples from BG Extras, and based on the images used for them on the site, they're the ones from Meeplesource. I got a few colours, but here are three of them, side-by-side, with standard game meeples. Although I knew their dimensions (12mm tall, 12mm wide, and 7mm thick), they still seem smaller than I expected. And the blue is much closer to the original than the image on the site, where they look much lighter.

Hi Wolnic or anyone else who can answer.

I am thinking about getting some Meeplesource orange and purple mini meeples (from BGExtras) to add to Travel Carcassonne. Have you found them a good mix when played together?

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
Sorry, probably can't help.

I usually only have 2-player games, and we always use blue and red. I don't have regular orange/purple meeples so can't comment on how compatible they are. I only got the minis in that colour as yellow wasn't available at the time. I can upload a picture with all the colours when it's not dark outside ...
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
I am thinking about getting some Meeplesource orange and purple mini meeples (from BGExtras) to add to Travel Carcassonne. Have you found them a good mix when played together?

According to the measurements, travel carcassonne meeples are about 10x13x13 mm, and meeplesource ones are 7x12x12.

While they're not so different in height and width, the 3 mm difference in thickness will certainly be easily noticeable (10mm is the same as standard basegame wooden meeples, 7mm is even thiner than phantoms)

So the mixability depends on how much you like / dislike having both fat and thin meeples in the game  :yellow-meeple:
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 09:21:42 PM by corinthiens13 »

Offline unclewill

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
Thanks for the replies. Sorry, I should've been a bit clearer in the direction of my question.

The 3mm difference in depth would mark them out as separate types for sure, with presumably jokes about the girth of their respective players.

From Wolnic's photo, the Meeplesource mini meeples look to me like they are proportionately slimmer in the arm and the leg than the Travel Carcassonne meeples in corinthien13's photo which also have big heads. It could just be angle of photos/ shadows etc.

I was just wondering if there is a side-by-side difference in reality.

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
Oh, I understand now  :yellow-meeple:

Wolnic doesn't seem to own travel Carcassonne based on his profile, so he might not be able to post a side by side picture of both meeples, and I do not own the Meeplesource ones, so I can't either  :-\

Maybe someone can help?

And anyway, a picture of all the meeplesource colors Wolnic owns might still be helpful  :yellow-meeple:

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
Correct. I don't have any other smaller meeples for comparison photos. I got them since I wanted to created a smaller sized (about 75% of standard) tile set (to reduce printing and mounting). I do have a shrink-wrapped Carc for 2, but not currently willing to open it up.

Attached are images of all the MS minis with a standard game meeple, and another showing the thickness - my standard blue meeple is not very well cut ...

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
Thanks wolnic, I updated the 2nd post to include those new pictures  :yellow-meeple:

Offline unclewill

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
Thanks from me too. I have ordered some MS minis from BGExtra so I can answer my own question and will share the knowledge.

Offline unclewill

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
These photos compare RGG Travel Carcassonne 2007 (TC) mini meeples (standard colours) next to Meeplesource (MS) mini meeples (orange and purple).

The MS are noticeable shallower in depth as already discussed.

Face on, the MS meeples are noticeably smaller and slimmer in build than the TC red, yellow, green, and black. The TC blue are inconsistent with the other TC colours and fall in between.

To my eye, the difference between the two is proportionally as clear as a standard 16mm meeple to 19mm big meeple. If I could, I would have all sets of MS minis as they truly are mini, but am I going to replace the five standard colour sets for consistency? No. Probably not.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 07:50:35 AM by unclewill »

Offline unclewill

• Nobleman
    • View Profile
This photo shows (left to right) 10x24x24mm Meeplesource ‘Super Mega Meeple’, Cundco ‘Big Meeple’, Cundco standard meeple, Meeplesource mini meeple for comparison.

I wanted to experiment with a truly big meeple (to clearly differentiate from Mayors). The face area comparison of 19mm big meeple to 16mm standard meeple is about 1.4 but these pieces give a proportion of 2.25:1 which reflects the 2:1 strength of the pieces better too.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 10:55:47 AM by unclewill »

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
Thanks unclewill, I updated the second post to include those comparisons  :yellow-meeple:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Teachers vs. Phantoms (6 colours)

Started by danisthirty

17 Replies
Last post November 30, 2015, 03:41:38 AM
by Decar
xx
WTB: The Collector’s Case, Plushie Meeple, Jelly Meeple, etc.

Started by asp204

0 Replies
Last post December 21, 2020, 06:07:08 AM
by asp204
xx
Love Letter & Love Letter Premium (Comparison)

Started by dirk2112

1 Replies
Last post January 02, 2018, 12:40:44 PM
by Willem
clip
Count comparison

Started by dronedrone

5 Replies
Last post December 12, 2018, 07:09:24 AM
by danisthirty
xx
CAR 7.5 Prep Discussion: Wheel of Fortune Version Comparison