Author Topic: 2016 World Cup - Group D  (Read 18487 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 World Cup - Group D
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2016, 03:38:42 PM »
I played Rosco this evening and we had a fun game.

I am in need of my bed at the moment so I won't go into too much detail. However, there was one point early on when Ross drew about 5 cloisters almost one after the other (certainly at least 3 of them were consecutive anyway) which was ridiculous. He claimed most of them though, even though there weren't really any good spots to place them, and struggled with a shortage of meeples for much of the game as a result.

Meanwhile I was able to put my builder to good use and took a risk placing a few early farmers which seemed to pay off.

I probably had the better fortune in terms of tiles drawn so congrats to Rosco for making the best of what he got!

Final score: 233 - 185 in my favour.

Offline CarcinFool

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
  • I enjoy a good game o' Carc!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2016, 03:40:16 AM »
I'm up early and around for the next hour or so if anyone wants to play. I'm in the chat room...

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
What's happening with the 5th player in this group?
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2016, 07:45:30 AM »
My game with CarcinFool ended in a loss for me: 228 - 201 :blue-meeple: :'(

Screenshot:

I was in the same group as CarcinFool last year and he beat me then too so I knew I was in for a tough game and certainly got one.

I felt the game slipping away from me with about 50 tiles to go as I was low on meeples and although I'd done my best to ensure that the tiles I needed to free them up were relatively common ones I never seemed to draw any. In fact, I spent most of the game waiting for a cfff to complete a cloister and eventually got one when I drew the "witches hat" tile which seemed kind of fitting what with it being Halloween! I can't complain though as CF needed a cfrr tile in two places but I seemed to keep drawing them.

The exact turning point came when I tried to get my double meeple into a city CF had been building. he drew a cccc splitter and cut me out, then completed his city for a good selection of trade goods on his builder turn. I feared I'd also lose my double meeple at that point, but actually got him back with a bit of help from CF (he was only interested in me for my wheat). This was evident elsewhere too, as CF was clearly being very deliberate about scoring cities with trade tokens whereas I was more focussed on trying to win decent handfuls of points wherever I could. Which wasn't very often.

I made a huge mistake when I completed a city and accidentally dropped my double meeple down as a farmer on the same tile (I hadn't enabled the farmer warning box thingy in JCZ then but I certainly have now). However, whilst I managed to extend the reach of his farm outwards to the point that it won me 20 points (with pig), I couldn't then fight for the most valuable farm where CF had his double and a normal meeple against my normal meeple.

As the game drew to an end I seemed to recover from my meeple supply problems and managed to claim a few decent farms. I was never going to overturn a 30-point bonus for trade tokens though, and when the final scores came in I was actually quite surprised by how close they were as it had felt at times like I was going to lose by at least 50 points or more. :-[

Congratulations CarcinFool! And thanks for the game... ;) :(y)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 01:46:16 PM by Decar »

Offline CarcinFool

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2016, 08:09:01 AM »
Yes, nice game Dan!

I was definitely wary of you somehow coming back by completing that large cathedral city, so I spent a fair bit of attention on that in the last half of the game (including placing one of my guys close by in case I had to parachute him in to share the city with you if it looked like it would be completed). But with about 10-12 tiles left I was fairly confident it wasn't going to happen.

It was nice to have my builder available and placed on a long road near the end of the game so as to be able to steal extra turns and prevent you from chipping away and getting too many of those "decent handfuls of points" you were after. ;-)

You picked up a nice 15 points on your last two tiles (and your builder turn stole my last tile, which I would have used to get 6-8 points), so I think that closed the gap from that 50+ margin of victory you were expecting.

I felt very bad for you after you misplaced your 2x guy, but as usual you made the best of a mistake/bad situation with smart plays later in the game.

Great game and good luck in the rest of your matches!

Carcin' Fool

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2016, 10:10:11 AM »
I was definitely wary of you somehow coming back by completing that large cathedral city, so I spent a fair bit of attention on that in the last half of the game (including placing one of my guys close by in case I had to parachute him in to share the city with you if it looked like it would be completed). But with about 10-12 tiles left I was fairly confident it wasn't going to happen.

Yeah, *that* city! ::) I knew it was risky claiming it so early on, and that my meeple could become vulnerable, but I thought I'd probably get away with it. But then you made the cfrf hole and since there was only a 50/50 chance of me drawing that particular tile I didn't waste too much time on it, especially once you'd added the cathedral(s). Since I hadn't been using my builder very well through the middle part of the game I ended up throwing it in there just for the bonus turns as much as anything else but didn't really expect to clsoe it. I think it might have been possible to close it, but with your meeple camped outside I was never going to be able to cut you out as well as closing it so it didn't seem worth the effort.

It was nice to have my builder available and placed on a long road near the end of the game so as to be able to steal extra turns and prevent you from chipping away and getting too many of those "decent handfuls of points" you were after. ;-)

Yes, that was quite a road. My biggest fear was that you were going to draw the final inn and complete it (don't deny that this was your purpose! >:D)

You picked up a nice 15 points on your last two tiles (and your builder turn stole my last tile, which I would have used to get 6-8 points), so I think that closed the gap from that 50+ margin of victory you were expecting.

I was quite pleased with this! That crfr got me 6 points for the road + 3 for the phantom farmer. I'd almost forgotten about the bonus turn it generated but was grateful of the 6 points I got with it for a final farmer...

I felt very bad for you after you misplaced your 2x guy, but as usual you made the best of a mistake/bad situation with smart plays later in the game.

Thanks, but it was entirely my own fault so there was no justification for trying to reverse it. Can't complain about the 20 points he got in the end, just wish I'd claimed them with a single meeple so the double could have been more helpful elsewhere!

Great game and good luck in the rest of your matches!

Thanks, but unless someone else joins our group I think I'm finished now. 2 wins and 2 losses probably isn't going to be enough to get me into the next round so it's all over for me now :'(

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2016, 01:41:07 PM »
8 games played, 7 left.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2016, 01:46:21 PM »
Thanks MrNumbers

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2016, 01:58:56 PM »
Interesting reading

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2016, 08:58:23 AM »
In case CarcinFool reads this, I would be availble tonight and wait in chat for our game. I think, laura82 is not to be heard of again? Correct me, if I'm wrong, but of course I would play her, too.

Offline CarcinFool

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2016, 09:00:25 AM »
Hounk -- could you start a game in about 1.5 or 2 hrs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2016, 09:07:31 AM »
I will be here. But we will need somebody to host, if you can't.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2016, 10:14:23 AM »
I will be here. But we will need somebody to host, if you can't.

The online server not working is an urban legend :)  It's totally fine in my opinion.

Offline CarcinFool

• Vassal
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2016, 10:22:20 AM »
Hounk -- I'm in the chat room when you are ready...

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2016, 10:23:54 AM »
Hope you guys have a good game. I'm looking forward to seeing the result...

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2016 World Cup - Group A

Started by danisthirty

62 Replies
Last post November 16, 2016, 02:08:14 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
2016 World Cup - Group B

Started by danisthirty

76 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 02:33:40 AM