Carc Central Community > General

Decar's obligatory moaning thread

(1/2) > >>

Decar:
Hi all, when I'm catching up on the forum there's something that really bugs me, and it's when I'm reading a post to find that the next person has quoted the entire post again, pictures and all,  simply to reply with a short sentence.  Even worse is when someone quotes the previous message that already quoting their previous message.  I find the thread becomes far longer than it ever needed to be.  The structure of the forum, allows for a thread of conversation to form without having to quote the entirety of the previous post.  Imagine if I had to say everything I'd ever heard or said before ever adding to it.  I also end up with email notifications where it's utterly unclear who's saying what, but that's a limitation of our email service.

There are good times to use quotes, for example: sometimes it makes sense to quote a portion of a post, or sometimes to quote a portion of a post that happened a while ago where the flow of conversation has moved on some what.

So please consider using quotes wisely.

I'm going to be particularly grumpy now and warn that I'm going to indiscriminately delete posts where I think someone has clicked quote instead of reply.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6370.0

BBG:
Agree. Been using forums for 30 years and this is something that bothered me since day one, but that it's not solvable because it's a user problem and users will never behave correctly if not forced. Quoting the whole message is the simplest thing to do so the average user will do that, no matter what. Some forum platforms handle the quoting mechanism in a special way (i.e. showing only the last quoted message and/or hiding the quoted post behind a "read more" button if it's too long) but where such tricks are not present, it's you vs. the luser. And the luser always wins.

Decar:
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I'd have hoped the simplest thing to do was click reply!  And the incentive for everyone is that I'll randomly delete their messages if it gets out of hand :D

supertopix:

--- Quote from: Decar on May 16, 2023, 07:06:16 AM ---Hi all…

So please consider using quotes wisely.

--- End quote ---
Please, be aware that Tapatalk has only the option to quote.

Bumsakalaka:
Well my version of Tapatalk allows
1. create new message in topic.
2. quote message
- and also change quote when dont want to include whole quote to response.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version