Poll

How often do you use house rules when playing Carcassonne?

Always
6 (16.2%)
Very often (but not always)
8 (21.6%)
Sometimes
3 (8.1%)
Rarely
4 (10.8%)
Nearly never
9 (24.3%)
Never
7 (18.9%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Author Topic: Do you use house rules?  (Read 5360 times)

Offline Professor

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: Do you use house rules?
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2023, 12:06:20 PM »
Robber is for longest road, right?

Yup. The rule is quite OP, but you don't get that many bandits, and you can only apply this rule if you hold the Robber tile.

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2023, 01:12:17 PM »
I think that everyone is playing with some house rules but maybe they don't thing that's house rule.

Imagine very often is player drawing tile to speed up the game before current player finish his turn.
This is house rule :) Because written rule is, that when it is your turn, then you draw tile as first (ok. except Fairy, because there you can get 1 point for Fairy bonus before you draw a tile :)
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2023, 08:37:45 AM »
The only house rule we play is regarding unclear clarifications:

If players are willing to argue about the interpretation of rules, they must also be willing to fight to the death over it.

We solve a lot of problems that way, the games are much shorter, although you do run out of people to play with.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2023, 09:01:05 AM »
The only house rule we play is regarding unclear clarifications:

If players are willing to argue about the interpretation of rules, they must also be willing to fight to the death over it.

We solve a lot of problems that way, the games are much shorter, although you do run out of people to play with.

It's hard to believe that the "fight to the death" rule used to be in the official rules, albeit as a mistranslation. Still, it's what we used to play when I first got into Carcassonne so we've just gotten used to it. Call me a purist, but it just doesn't feel right trying to settle anything in any other way.

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2023, 09:12:41 AM »
I prefer to fight to the pain.

To the pain means this: if we duel and you win, death for me. If we duel and I win, life for you. But life on my terms. The first thing you lose will be your feet. Below the ankle. You will have stumps available to use within six months. Then your hands, at the wrists. They heal somewhat quicker. Five months is a fair average. Next your nose. No smell of dawn for you. Followed by your tongue. Deeply cut away. Not even a stump left. And then your left eye—"

And then my right eye, and then my ears, and shall we get on with it?" the Prince said.

Wrong!" Westley’s voice rang across the room. "Your ears you keep, so that every shriek of every child shall be yours to cherish—every babe that weeps in fear at your approach, every woman that cries 'Dear God, what is that thing?' will reverberate forever with your perfect ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2023, 11:27:23 AM »
...Fight to the death...
...the games are much shorter...
Of course they are. Less players (caused by death) quicker game :)

Offline Ker42

• Count
  • Merit: 47
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2023, 11:53:34 AM »
I prefer to fight to the pain.

To the pain means this: if we duel and you win, death for me. If we duel and I win, life for you. But life on my terms. The first thing you lose will be your feet. Below the ankle. You will have stumps available to use within six months. Then your hands, at the wrists. They heal somewhat quicker. Five months is a fair average. Next your nose. No smell of dawn for you. Followed by your tongue. Deeply cut away. Not even a stump left. And then your left eye—"

And then my right eye, and then my ears, and shall we get on with it?" the Prince said.

Wrong!" Westley’s voice rang across the room. "Your ears you keep, so that every shriek of every child shall be yours to cherish—every babe that weeps in fear at your approach, every woman that cries 'Dear God, what is that thing?' will reverberate forever with your perfect ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love this!!   :(y)
It's all fun and games...until the Mirror Zone comes out.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2023, 05:42:03 AM »
Do love a good Princess Bridge reference.... I want him to live a long life, alone with his cowardice.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
House Rules... a new fan =)

Started by AlbinoAsian

2 Replies
Last post August 14, 2013, 03:06:31 AM
by AlbinoAsian
xx
House rules: The Princess & the Dragon (Pompeii)

Started by Professor

4 Replies
Last post April 20, 2023, 03:47:34 AM
by jacky1st2016
xx
Any suggested house rules for Ferry + Robber Baron?

Started by jvnoledawg

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2013, 08:27:46 AM
by Carcking
xx
Crop Circles - House Rules

Started by Treamayne

3 Replies
Last post December 04, 2016, 09:27:53 PM
by Treamayne
xx
Best/Recommended House Rules