Author Topic: Under the Big Top question  (Read 2650 times)

carca82

Under the Big Top question
« on: October 02, 2022, 06:16:13 AM »
Sorry if this has already been discussed, couldn't find a direct answer. English rules say:
After placing an Acrobat tile, you can place your meeple on the road or in the field, as usual.
You also have another option: you can place your meeple as an acrobat on one of the two acrobat spaces.
But also:
After a pyramid has been scored, players can start a new pyramid on the same tile by placing acrobats on it again.

My question: How can I build a new pyramid on a previous used acrobat tile if I can start a pyramid only on a tile I just placed?  :o

What did I miss?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6102.0

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
Re: Under the Big Top question
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 07:09:56 AM »
Placing acrobats is always an alternative option if you don’t place a meeple normally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carca82

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2022, 07:30:41 AM »
Placing acrobats is always an alternative option if you don’t place a meeple normally.
On ANY acrobat tile existing on the board?
OK so it's the same error I was making with the Tower expansion. But it seemed to us that the rules were clear about placing the acrobat on the just played tile:
you can place your meeple as an acrobat on one of the two acrobat spaces
I read "the two acrobat spaces" as two specific spaces, not any acrobat space

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2022, 12:41:11 PM »
No you can place only acrobat to current placed acceobats tile or if you placed tile which is adjacent to existing acrobats tile.

Other words if you place tile and one of 9 tiles arrouns this tile including placed tile is acrobats tile you can place meeple there.

Or course if acrobats pyramid is not finished yes.

Odoslané z SM-A202F pomocou Tapatalku

Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2022, 03:36:19 PM »
Besides these direct placement options, you may also place an acrobat with other mechanics:
* Exp. 3 - The Princess and the Dragon: A magic portal, which allows you to place the meeple on any incomplete pyramid on the board.
* Mini #1 - Flying Machines: a flying machine, which allows you to place the meeple on an incomplete pyramid on the tile where the flier lands.
* 20th Anniversary Expansion: activating the Place Meeple action, which allows you to place the meeple on any incomplete pyramid on the board.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

carca82

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 03:08:57 AM »
or if you placed tile which is adjacent to existing acrobats tile.
Jesus we missed this one! You are absolutely right, sorry!

* Exp. 3 - The Princess and the Dragon: A magic portal, which allows you to place the meeple on any incomplete pyramid on the board.
With incomplete you mean unoccupied, right? I've always used these rules:
  • Flying machines: you can land on an already occupied feature but not on a field
  • Portals: you can land on a field but not on an already occupied feature
Please tell me we didn't get this one wrong too  :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 03:12:23 AM by Sir Lose-a-Farm »

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 03:57:15 AM »

• Flying machines: you can land on an already occupied feature but not on a field
No @Meepledrone is right. Incomplete means that there are 0, 1 or 2 acrobats. You are still able to place meeple to pyramid by magic portal.

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 03:58:08 AM »
@Meepledrone what happens in situation that I place 4th meeple to pyramid by Flying Machine?

Is this possible?

carca82

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 04:02:09 AM »
No @Meepledrone is right. Incomplete means that there are 0, 1 or 2 acrobats. You are still able to place meeple to pyramid by magic portal.

Princess & Dragon Note 19: "This means that a meeple using the magic portal can only be placed on an unoccupied incomplete feature on any tile of the playing area. Therefore, the destination feature has to be claimable".

If there are already 1 or 2 acrobats, the feature is not claimable, since it's already occupied, isn't it? What tiny detail am I missing now?  O:-)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 04:05:55 AM by Sir Lose-a-Farm »

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2022, 09:30:46 AM »
My question: How can I build a new pyramid on a previous used acrobat tile if I can start a pyramid only on a tile I just placed?  :o

How so?
I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 47,200+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2022, 09:49:48 AM »

You may find this clarification in the rules of Exp. 10, when explaining the interactions with Exp. 3:

https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Under_the_Big_Top#Acrobat_tiles_and_acrobats

You can use a magic portal to place one of your meeples on an acrobat space/pyramid.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 10:16:16 AM »
@Meepledrone what happens in situation that I place 4th meeple to pyramid by Flying Machine?

Is this possible?

You will neve be allowed to place more than 3 meeples in an acrobat pyramid.

Acrobat pyramids on an acrobat space are a special type of feature: they accept up to 3 meeples, when it becomes completed, but cannot be scored right away. When scored it can be reused to build another pyramid. Any player can trigger the scoring of an acrobat pyramid, even without any of their meeples in it. And last but not least, an acobat pyramid when scored does not trigger a neighboring castle...

Not discussed in the rules, but a dragon could eat all the acrobats in a pyramid even if completed  :o, or you could remove a meeple from a completed acrobat pyramid with a tower or a Festival tile...

So you tell me what type of feature this is.  >:D

carca82

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 10:17:45 AM »
You can use a magic portal to place one of your meeples on an acrobat space/pyramid.
So that specific magic portal rule is always valid... except for the acrobats? Why.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2022, 10:23:11 AM »

How so?

This is just an example from the rules: the basic case when you first place an acrobat space tile. You may place an acrobar on a acrobat space as follows:
* Directly on the acrobat space tile after placing it.
* After placing a tile adjacent to the acrobat space (it could be completely empty).
* With a magic portal, as discussed earlier
* With a flying machine, as discussed earlier
* With an Add Meeple action, as discussed earlier

So plenty of options, although Exp. 10 itself would only give you 8 tries to do it at most (the acrobat space must be at least adjacent to one previous tile). So, in theory, you could complete up to 2 acrobat pyramids per acrobat space if no other expansion providing additional mechanics to to so is included in the game.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2022, 10:26:18 AM »
So that specific magic portal rule is always valid... except for the acrobats? Why.

Acrobat spaces should be considered as a special feature with 3 slots for meeples. It is not completed until the 3 slots are occupied. So a magic portal is allowed to deploy meeples to an acrobat pyramid until the three slots are occupied, that is when it is actually completed.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
@CundCo-Shop: Under The Big Top - Ringmasters in alternative colors

Started by LaPorxada (aka BigBoss)

1 Replies
Last post April 11, 2019, 08:02:39 AM
by DrMeeple
exclamation
Under The Big Top - revisited

Started by cicerunner

4 Replies
Last post March 01, 2020, 10:25:58 AM
by Halfling
xx
Carcassonne: Expansion N°10 Under the Big Top / Manege frei

Started by totor66

221 Replies
Last post September 30, 2017, 06:50:44 AM
by Decar
xx
WTS or Trade: Expansion 10 - Under the Big Top (Factory Sealed)

Started by asp204

0 Replies
Last post April 04, 2018, 11:17:25 AM
by asp204
xx
The 10th expansion (Under the Big Top) - poll

Started by jungleboy

32 Replies
Last post May 06, 2017, 12:56:54 PM
by jungleboy