Author Topic: Where were you in 2012?  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Where were you in 2012?
« on: January 31, 2022, 01:50:35 AM »
Ten years ago was a long time ago. For many it was a significant year.  Many believe that Nostradamus thought the world would approach destruction, and any Mayan's still using their calendar would suffer from an equivalent Millennium Bug because no one added some more pages.

In 2012, I married my now wife, bought a house, and we 'rescued' our dog.  So all in all an excellent and significant year.
I also started using Kickstarter, which rekindled my love of board games, which ultimately made me end up here.

What happened in your 2012?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5721.0

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Where were you in 2012?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 01:56:07 AM »
Some History about CarcC: In 2012 Obervet did the CAR* and he had many rules questions. I decided to visit the Spiel in Essen for the first time. I contacted Georg Wild from HiG to get an appointment with him at the booth from HiG. My meeting was successful with Georg Wild. We worked hard to go through a big catalogue of questions. At that time CarcC was broken - not online. HiG had a chatpage where Scott and I had some chat talk. The CarcF forum did not exist at that time.

In 2012 I also met maik63de the first time at the Spiel in Essen. We know us before because of the HiG-Chat but not in person. Maik63de started the CarcF Forum some weeks after the exhibition.

*With the CAR 6.0 (July 2012) was the change from Matt Harper to obervet. That was the reason why I've got so many rule questions.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 09:20:22 AM by kettlefish »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2022, 04:27:44 AM »
In 2012 my eldest child (Jessica) had only recently had her first birthday and was quite a handful as she was at the age where she was starting to take more of an active interest in the world and was fascinated by everything (especially animals)! In March we went to Australia for my sister's wedding and spent around two and a half weeks there. Jess used to wake very early because she didn't really adjust to the time zone we were in, and I seem to remember being awake almost constantly.

In July was my 32nd birthday and we went away on holiday to a place in Wales called Bluestone Park. Even though I wasn't a boardgamer, my wife bought me an unexpected birthday present: some weird game called "Carcassonne" or something! We played it a lot, and I soon discovered Carcassonne Central as I was looking for details about expansions.

2012 was also the year of the London Olympics. The rowing events were being held on a lake not too far from where we live, so I entered the ticket lottery and we were successful! I'd not been to many large sporting events, so I was blown away by the scale of it all and had a fantastic time watching and cheering so loudly that my throat was sore for days afterwards. Plus there was the Queen's Diamond Jubilee which I remember particularly because we went to a street party and I had my face painted.

I'm sure there was much more to 2012, such as the fact that we went to four weddings and a funeral (like the film), but I can't remember whose the weddings were besides my sisters. This is largely down to the fact that we had an exhausting toddler at home, so I was generally too tired to remember much else other than that I probably watched a lot of Peppa Pig!

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2022, 08:31:21 AM »
At the start of 2012, I found myself suddenly employed for reasons I won't get into here. I spent the first few months looking for a new job, found one, lost it, and then found a different one at the end of the summer. I have been working there ever since, and will be marking 10 years of employment there later this year. In 2011 I had started taking night classes in order to switch careers, and continued taking those in 2012. The connections that I made in those courses helped me to get the job that I have now. Also in 2012, there were some changes in my Real Life (tm) social circles which resulted in my making some new friends and getting involved in some different volunteer activities.

Looking at the Carcassonne Visual Timeline, I see that 2012 was around the time of the transition from Rio Grande Games to Z-Man Games. In 2012, we got Little Buildings, the first version of the Windroses, the 6+1 boxed mini expansions. I quite liked the art style of the tuckboxes and designed some box covers for other mini expansions, but never turned them into full box designs.

I think I was releasing fan expansions and things for Carcassonne and the various spin-offs during 2012. It looks like I built a new computer towards the end of that year, so it's difficult to tell exactly what I did when. What I do know for certain is that 2012 was the final year that my C1 collection remained in their original boxes, because the beginning of 2013 is when I have emails from ordering my plastic storage case. But already in 2012 I was building out my C1 collection because I have emails from the long-gone Carcassonne Shoppe showing that I bought additional meeples and the watermarked tiles to replace my non-watermarked tiles. I also bought things from the BGG marketplace including the Cathars expansion, and non-Carcassonne games.

Offline OneEyedOwl

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
  • Based in Germany, at the Swiss border
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 09:37:41 AM »
In 2012 I was a little Kid :o
No interest in 1st edition, but glad to help anyone looking for them. If you see something on ebay-kleinanzeigen.de and need someone to ship to your country, hit me up ^^

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 09:49:46 AM »
In 2012, I was going through a Carcassonne dark age... :o
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 09:52:15 AM by Meepledrone »
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 10:43:30 AM »
In 2012 I hadn't heard of the game of Carcassonne, or the city of Carcassonne for that matter.
It was the year when I moved out from my parent's house and started playing more brazilian percussion (samba). I had already been doing that for some years, but at this point I was teaching and playing in several groups
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 10:58:13 AM »
Original Carcassonne Big Box was sitting unused in the basement: it was too much for us with the young kids.

But we did take a family trip to Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Parks for hiking and a first (and last!) white-water rafting trip:

Ever since that trip, whenever we hike in the woods, we find ourselves calling out "Heeeyyyy, Bear..."

Offline seli82

• Duke
  • Merit: 16
  • Ich liebe es Landschaften zu Bauen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 10:37:27 AM »
Am 18. März 2012 habe ich meine Carcassonne-Sammlung mit dem Graf angefangen. Ich kannte Carcassonne zuvor nur vom Sehen. Bei einer Tombola habe neben anderen Brettspiele auch diese kleine Schachtel gewonnen und so war meine Neugier geweckt. Nach kurzen Serven im Internet habe ich mir das Grundspiel gekauft. Ein Jahr später war ich schon süchtig danach.

On March 18th, 2012 I started my Carcassonne collection with the Count. Before that, I only knew Carcassonne by sight. In a raffle I won this little box along with other board games and that's how my curiosity was aroused. After a short session on the Internet, I bought the basic game. A year later I was already addicted to it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 10:52:46 AM by Scott, Reason: Added English translation. »

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
  • Merit: 34
  • Fight, Flight, Freeze ..... or Play :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 12:25:25 PM »
In 2012 I was pretty much in the same situation than Scott: I found the job that I still have today. So for me, too, later this year will be the 10th anniversary.  :)

But in parallel, at that moment, I still had my own practice and did an exciting new training which allowed me to introduce something very special in my offer of treatments.

Later that year, I discovered Bollywood! My goodness, this has not left me ever since!! Crazy crazy. The first movie was "Jodha Akbar", splendid. :(y) That was still on youtube. But the same year, fortunately, we got Hindi movies in movie theaters in Germany and here my first "real" Bollywood movie in the movie theater was "Jab Tak Hai Jaan". - sigh.  :) I got so hooked by some of the Bollywood songs that I practiced singing them loudly in my car every day on my way from/to the company, so I got really really good at it  ;D. And at the end of the year, I was already enrolled in Bollywood dance classes (I have always been a passionate dancer). The next year I began to learn Hindi language, but all this started in 2012!

The day the world should have come to an end according to Maya Calendar (at least this is what most of the people who do not know anything about the Mayan Calender thought) - 21.12.12 - I was celebrating the birthday of my closest and longuest friend.

I am not sure I played Carcassonne that year. I am German and coming from a family with long long board game tradition, so, obviously I have played Carcassonne when the game came out and every so often at family / friends gathering occasions. But at that moment, I did not even know that expansions existed. I only came to know this in 2017 (and then got hooked here, too  >:D)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 12:50:52 PM by Challa007 »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Just when you thought YOU were winning...

Started by danisthirty

9 Replies
Last post November 21, 2014, 05:54:18 AM
by BabyGamer
xx
Muller edition exklusiv - metalbox - 2012

Started by lr

3 Replies
Last post September 13, 2022, 12:23:23 PM
by lr
xx
The result of my meeting with HiG at Essen 2012