Author Topic: Questions  (Read 77624 times)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Questions
« Reply #240 on: April 22, 2020, 02:26:40 AM »
"2 points for each meeple". What happens if you score before scoring the watchtower a road on which there is a meeple situated in watchtower's area?

Please describe this situation, becaouse scoring by watchtower is befor scoring of finished features (roads, cities, ...)

If a watchtower scores before a feature scores, what happens when two watchtowers score at the same time, and you are using the Messengers expansion?

Thanks for taking all this time to consider my question Meepledrone (and others).  It's very much appreciated.
17 thumbs up from me:
 :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y)
Don't ask me where I got them.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 22, 2020, 02:33:28 AM »
I've only been following this thread for a couple of days, but the pace here has been relentless in terms of the number of different questions posed and Meepledrone's impressive response times, thorough answers and general consistency throughout. I'm amazed at the amount of effort you're going to here Hector, keep up the good work!

But while I'm at it, in the case that the dragon has accidentally used a flying machine to reach the scoretrack, what happens to any Robber figures that get eaten? Do they return to the 0 space? What if the dragon is on the 0 space when someone completes a circuit of the scoretrack?

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 22, 2020, 05:31:57 AM »
I've only been following this thread for a couple of days, but the pace here has been relentless in terms of the number of different questions posed and Meepledrone's impressive response times, thorough answers and general consistency throughout. I'm amazed at the amount of effort you're going to here Hector, keep up the good work!

But while I'm at it, in the case that the dragon has accidentally used a flying machine to reach the scoretrack, what happens to any Robber figures that get eaten? Do they return to the 0 space? What if the dragon is on the 0 space when someone completes a circuit of the scoretrack?

In the case of a Welsh Dragon: Red meeples are ok to pass, but any other colour meeples are eaten whether Robber, messenger or standard.

In the case of either the Romanian Longhorn or the Swedish Short Snout: Blue or Yellow meeples are ok to pass.

Finally, in the case of a Smothering Smokebreath: Grey or Black meeples are ok to pass.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 23, 2020, 03:47:59 AM »
[209.] serious one, sorry :)

I was playing on Jcloisterzone and I am having doubts on this case.

An unoccupied monastery was finished next to my incomplete shrine and I was awarded 0 points and my follower was removed. I thought it was just about challenge and meeple on both structures but seems like I was mistaken

I tried to read wikicarpedia several times but couldn't find answer

This seems a bug in JCZ.

A challenge requires a monk and a heretic on adjacent features. So no meeple on one of them means no challenge.

If you check the rules, there may be several outcomes:
* The challenge is interrupted (ends without resolution) if one of the figure is removed (a dragon, a removed abbot,... you name it)
* The challenge ends and one of the meeples wins: one meeple scores 9 points, the other scores 0 points, and both meeples are removed.
* The challenge ends with a tie: both meeples score 9 points and then they are removed.

Normally the challenge is declared with the direct placement of a figure on a newly placed tile. When a challenge is interrupted, it can be restarted with the placement of a new meeple on the vacated monastery or shrine by means of a magic portal or a flying machine.

In a nutshell, a challenge needs the presence of meeples on both features. If one is missing, no challenge can be triggered or, if started, it ends without resolution.

You can review the rules here:
* Basic challenge rules: http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Count,_King_and_Robber#2._Placing_a_meeple_as_a_heretic
* Additional interactions: http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Count,_King_and_Robber#The_cultists_2

I reported this issue yesterday so farin (the JCZ lead developer) can have a look at it. I just checked and he planned the fix for v5.0.

I also reported another issue: A shepherd does not allow you to place a farmer on the same field. However, you can place a shepherd on a field with a farmer. Fixed planned for v5.0 too.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline totor66

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • Carcassonne semi completionnist
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 23, 2020, 09:34:47 AM »
Funny that those were my 2 questions on this topic :)

Playing too much on it for the last week's helps discovering bugs :)

Thank you for reporting that to him, wanted to do it at some point.
Carcassonne Fan since 2014

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 23, 2020, 10:21:44 AM »
No problem... I had some issues to report and seemed active yesterday, so why not?  ;D

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2020, 11:25:16 AM »
[210.] "2 points for each meeple". What happens if you score before scoring the watchtower a road on which there is a meeple situated in watchtower's area?

(210.) "2 points for each meeple". What happens if you score before scoring the watchtower a road on which there is a meeple situated in watchtower's area?

Please describe this situation, becaouse scoring by watchtower is befor scoring of finished features (roads, cities, ...)

My understanding of the question is the following:
* You complete complete a city with a watchtower scoring per adjacent meeple, and a neighboring road.
* Question: Does the order of evaluation impact the scoring of the watchtower?

Example: Red completes a city with a watchtower and also Yellow's road.

Answer: Yes, the order of evaluation here is important, since any meeples removed from adjacent tiles to the watchtower as a consequence of a previous scoring won't be taken into consideration.

So the active player will have to decide the order of evaluation carefully, since it may affect the total of points scored. If playing with Mini #2 - The Messages and/or Mini #6 - The Robbers, this decision will also decide the reception of a dispatch and/or what points are stolen by robbers)

Evaluation order #1:

* Road scored first: Yellow scores 5 points. The yellow meeple on the road is removed.
* City scored last: Red scores 12 points. The red meeple in the city is removed.
   - Watchtower: 3 meplees left x 2 points / meeple = 6 points
   - City feature scoring: 3 tiles x 2 points / tile = 6 points

Evaluation order #2:

* City scored first: Red scores 14 points. The red meeple in the city is removed.
   - Watchtower: 4 meplees x 2 points / meeple = 8 points
   - City feature scoring: 3 tiles x 2 points / tile = 6 points
* Road scored last: Yellow scores 5 points. The yellow meeple on the road is removed.

As you can see, the result depends on the evaluation order. Depending on the expansions used, you may be interested in applying Evaluation Order #1 (less points) or Evaluation Order #2 (more points), for example, to allow a robber to steal less points or to receive a message.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 23, 2020, 11:39:01 AM »
(207.)

Option b) is correct. You score each feature with the associated bonus individually.
Feature 1 - Blue's road: road feature scoring
Feature 2 - Your city: watchtower bonus + city feature scoring + ringmaster bonus

I don't know if you wanted a more detailed response for this. Hope this helps...

As indicated in answer #207, this is how each feature should be scored individually out of any context. The active player will have to decide the order of evaluation according to their preference. You may decide the order of evaluation of the features according to your preference:

* Option 1: Feature 1 + Feature 2, where the scoring events would be:
   - Blue's road:
       - Road feature scoring (1)
   - Your city:
       - Watchtower bonus (2)
       - City feature scoring (3)
       - Ringmaster bonus (4)

* Option 2: Feature 2 + Feature 1, where the scoring events would be:
   - Your city:
       - Watchtower bonus (1)
       - City feature scoring (2)
       - Ringmaster bonus (3)
   - Blue's road:
       - Road feature scoring (4)

Each scoring event marked with number (1) to (4) will be scored independently and following that order in each option.

You can revisit the Order of Play to check how multiple features are scored:
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Order_of_Play
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 12:01:39 PM by Meepledrone »

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #248 on: April 23, 2020, 11:40:04 AM »
"If you have a highwayman on more than one road, you must choose the road that would be worth the fewest points."
"(3) Smallest Monastery: The same as Message 1, but for monasteries, instead of roads."
You have 2 monasteries: A (5 tiles with normal meeple) and B (4 tiles with ringmaster (4 points).
You must choose the monastery that would be worth the fewest points.
Which monastery you can choose?
I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 47,200+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 23, 2020, 11:58:51 AM »

[211. See below]

"2 points for each meeple". What happens if you score before scoring the watchtower a road on which there is a meeple situated in watchtower's area?

(211.)  Please describe this situation, becaouse scoring by watchtower is befor scoring of finished features (roads, cities, ...)

If a watchtower scores before a feature scores, what happens when two watchtowers score at the same time, and you are using the Messengers expansion?

Remember that you receive a message ant the end of a round of scoring. This means all features and bonuses are scored first and then you check what scoring figured you did move. If any of them, after moving this round of scoring, ended up on a dark space you will receive a message.

Therefore, intermediate scorings during the round of scoring do not count, just the location of your (moved) scoring figures at the end.

All in all, you will have to decide the order of evaluation of any features scored and their bonuses (including any watchtowers), if they are not commutative in order to maximize your options to receive a dispatch. For example, watchtowers may score for meeples in their vicinity, and some of them may be removed when scoring multiple completed features.

You can revisit the clarifications related to rounds of scoring here:
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Messages#Rounds_of_Scoring

Does this answer your question?

Thanks for taking all this time to consider my question Meepledrone (and others).  It's very much appreciated.
17 thumbs up from me:
 :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y) :(y)
Don't ask me where I got them.

My pleasure! You must have a box somewhere in your Man Cave... The Thumb Box, right?

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 23, 2020, 12:10:11 PM »

Thank you, Dan, for you kind words! I know you are a hard-core base game player but as you can see, there is fun out there in the maze of rules HiG has left behind for us. Thank you for joining us in this modest thread.  ;D

I will have to do some housekeeping eventually and organize somehow all the info contained here...

Well, I think you may apply all the storytelling concepts included in the Santa, Snowman & Grinch fan expansion where the fun happens both on the scoreboard and on the playing area....

http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=395

But you are the one to blame as always, not the dragon when the robbers meet Vodyanoy and they party together in the dragon's lair.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 23, 2020, 12:43:28 PM »
[212.a] "If you have a highwayman on more than one road, you must choose the road that would be worth the fewest points."

You must choose the road that would score the fewer points at the end of the game. For example, if you have an incomplete road with an inn, that would be the one for 0 points. If you are not happy with that, you may choose to score the 2 points indicated on the message tile.

You can revisit Message (1) rules (read near the end of the box for interactions with Exp. 1 - Inns & Cathedrals) here:
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Messages#The_Messages_Tiles

[212.b] "(3) Smallest Monastery: The same as Message 1, but for monasteries, instead of roads."
You have 2 monasteries: A (5 tiles with normal meeple) and B (4 tiles with ringmaster (4 points).
You must choose the monastery that would be worth the fewest points.
Which monastery you can choose?

Ha ha ha! This is a tricky one.

There is no official rule or clarification for this interaction.

Monastery B scores less points (4 points) than monastery A (5 points), the ringmaster bonus (4 points) go to the ringmaster. So as per the rules, you should only consider the points associated with the feature itself, although in this case, it looks like cheating.  ;)

You can revisit Message (3) rules here:
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Messages#The_Messages_Tiles
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 10:32:41 AM by Meepledrone »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 24, 2020, 05:03:31 PM »
I reply here to questions asked by stano.lacko in another thread...

But I have a question.
[213.] 1. When you use princes and remove kight, you are not able to use phantom
-yes

Correct. Removing a knight with a princess tile does not allow you to use your phantom to claim the city if unoccupied after the the knight removal. The rules don't want you to make things that easier for players.

See the interaction of princess tiles with The Phantom here:
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Princess_and_The_Dragon#Princess

[214.] 2. When you return abbot or accrobats, only allowed placing meeple is phantom in phase 2B-2
-yes

Yes, except after removing a knight with a princess tile, the phantom can be placed as a second figure after any figure placement, figure scoring, figure removing or token placement taking place in step 2B-1. Remember that you may decide to take no action in step 2B-1, so it would seem that you only place your phantom in your turn (as it were the first figure).

The Order of Play is a great place to see all this in perspective:

[215.] 3. You are able to to take sheeps from fields when you put meeple? Is there change between C1 and C2?
-we were playing that if not place a meeple than you are able to take sheeps from field

No rules have changed about shepherds and their sheep. The only limitation existing in the rules is that you place your shepherd (and draw your first sheep token) in step 2B-1, so you cannot perform any other action in that step, such as, placing farmer.

You will be able to score the shepherd's flock (action "Guide flock to stable") when:
- Right after placing the shepherd, if the field chooses is closed (an inner field or a field just closed, that is, surrounded by roads and city walls).
- In later turns, when the field is extended or it is closed and cannot be extended in later turns.

The automatic scoring for shepherds and their flock avoid they can be trapped in a closed field.

The Order of Play is also a great place to see all this in perspective:

[216.] 4. You are able to dispatch message
a) fairy bonus
b) place wind rose tile
c) before resolve finished features (affection by sheeps, acrobats, abbot, fruits)
d) when I reboy in step2 my meeple in bathhouse and I move back one of scoring meeple and goest to dark place in scoreboard I still dispatch message?
e) after resolving all of finished features and moved big top?

Yes to options a), b), c) and e)
No to d) , if you move backwards one of your scoring figures, no round of scoring is associated to that event. So you would not receive a message even if you land on a dark space on the scoreboard.

Please check the clarification about rounds of scoring here:
http://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Messages#Rounds_of_Scoring

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #253 on: April 25, 2020, 01:03:46 AM »
Thank you for answer. That 4d for rebuy was just tricky question. I know, scoring meeple is going backward, but why not to ask ;-)
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 25, 2020, 06:21:07 AM »
This is a free forum! You can ask whatever you want about Carcassonne here.  ;)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
Some questions about the Gingerbread Man

Started by emanuele

3 Replies
Last post April 23, 2015, 01:22:31 PM
by obervet
xx
Questions about Advent Quiz

Started by Rosco

17 Replies
Last post December 18, 2017, 05:11:57 AM