Author Topic: Latvian National Championship 2017 (March 19th)  (Read 3263 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Latvian National Championship 2017 (March 19th)
« on: March 20, 2017, 07:44:52 AM »
The same day as Dutch championship there was also Latvian Carcassonne championship. This year we set a new participant record - 50 people! We were divided into 2 groups (24 and 26 players) and started championship. Our format is very close to World championship format - we play 5 rounds of head-to-head games, recalculating Buchholz after each round in order to get opponent with the same skill. Our all-time champion was very busy with his studies at Finland, so he didn't come. This was my chance to take the throne! ;D
First round fixtures are completely random, and my opponent was 5-6-years old boy. I was so unhappy to win from him, but this is championship after all. He played pretty well, escaped some of my traps, tried to set traps for me, didn't allow me to connect to his long road. During final scoring, before counting farmers, we were even - 76:76! But he didn't place any farmer, meantime I had 5 on different fields, which made all the difference. I advised him to pay attention to farms in his next games and I was truly happy for him, because he won at least one game (his last one)!
MrsNumbers also took part in the championship, we were at the same group, and her first opponent was woman, who won my last tournament with expansions, and who won from me two games in group stage in 2015. MrsNumbers lost that game.
But I lost my second game. Everyone can tell about at least one game in his "carrier", when you just can't win: you made everything right, you own main farm, but you opponent just continues to collect points and you can't do anything about it. This was my only chance for mistake, so, if I wanted to qualify into play-off games, I needed to win all remaining games. MrsNumbers won her second game, so we both needed the same.
My third game looked more like a friendly game: we finished together two big cities and one long road, the only difference was final scores: I had more than 50 points advantage :) MrsNumbers also had a win.
Fourth game was tough one - against finalist of Championship'2014. We started to spend meeples to potentially big city, then my opponent started to build his own cities, but soon enough I managed to block them: both his cities needed cfrr, all of which were already gone, and second half of the game I relaxed. Another win for me and MrsNumbers.
My final game was against newbie at championships, so I didn't know what to expect. Nothing special, relatively easy win. MrsNumbers did the same and we both qualified! MrsNumbers qualified from 3rd place in the group and I - from 4th (due worse Buchholtz).
My QF game was against B group winner. Unexpectedly easy win for me. But MrsNumbers lost here QF game against former champion (2012). She wasn't upset, as she needed to catch the bus to Lithuania (work trip).
In semi-finals I met the same woman from first MrsNumbers's game. There is such definition "uncomfortable opponent". She IS my uncomfortable opponent! It looks like she plays almost randomly: she places tiles very fast. She spent less than 5 minutes to the whole game, meanwhile I spent more than 15 minutes. I lost by 5 points. Another lost opportunity to became national champion. After that I easily won a game for 3rd place, but that woman became Latvian champion: in final game she won from champion'2012 (the one from MrsNumbers's QF game).
So this year I will try to sneak to the Worlds the same way I did it last year. Who knows, maybe I will have my second chance :D

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3218.0
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
Latvian National Championship 2017 (March 19th)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 07:58:27 AM »
Great report! And I like the format of the championship, that's clever. It seems that you deserved a better fate... I know the feeling...

Thanks for sharing and thumbs up for Mrs too!

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Re: Latvian National Championship 2017 (March 19th)
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 08:14:39 AM »
Thanks for the great report MrNumbers.

I had it in my head that you'd finished 11th based on something I saw on Facebook, but I wasn't sure if it was you or someone else who posted it.

Congrats on your podium finish! :) :(y)

There is such definition "uncomfortable opponent". She IS my uncomfortable opponent!

I know exactly what you mean. Mine recently came second in the Dutch national championships...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:17:49 AM by danisthirty »

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 11:56:16 AM »
Here will be the photo gallery of the championship. And here is photo of Top-4 and tournament ranking tables.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 12:16:24 PM »
How about zone2 and Skane? Did they participate?

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 12:27:02 PM »
How about zone2 and Skane? Did they participate?
Zone2 ended 21st in group B, winning only 2 last games. Skane is on a work trip now, so didn't have a chance to participate. BTW, a boy, who finished 4th (from which I won the game for the 3rd place) is zone2's son :)

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 03:14:07 PM »
Great report - sorry you did not steal the podium; so fingers crossed for an opportunity to play at Essen!

Offline humske

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 06:40:32 AM »
NIce report to read!
too bad you didn't make it!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Dutch National Championship 2017 (March 19th)

Started by Jéré

19 Replies
Last post April 10, 2017, 06:36:52 AM
by humske
xx
Dutch National Championship 2016 (March 20)

Started by Jéré

16 Replies
Last post April 04, 2016, 03:33:59 PM
by danisthirty
xx
Carcassonne Latvian championship

Started by MrNumbers

7 Replies
Last post September 16, 2013, 10:39:58 PM
by MrNumbers
xx
Android Carcassonne: 16 March 2015 - Amazon free app of the day