Author Topic: Help with uploading to Downloads section  (Read 3430 times)

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
  • Merit: 21
  • คาคาร์ซอนน์ fan in Thailand
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
Help with uploading to Downloads section
« on: September 26, 2016, 09:26:04 AM »
Hello,

I just tried twice three times to upload a fan expansion to the Downloads section, but I am receiving the error message: "You need to enter a download title." I have all fields filled in, including the Title field.

Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Also, I think there is a file-size limit for the Downloads section, but I cannot find what it is. Can someone enlighten me? I am pretty sure my current .zip file, at 18 MB, is too big. (I can certainly reduce the filesize by hosting the 600dpi tile graphics separately on my Google Drive, and including lower-resolution graphics for the CarcC download if I must, though it seems a bit silly to have to do that.)

UPDATE: just found this topic where is seems the limit is about 7 megabytes. I guess I'll try to get my file down to this size and try again... although it would be nice if the site threw me the right error message to let me know what the problem was. Is there a reason for the file size limit?

Thanks for any help!

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2912.0
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 02:11:47 PM by stalcupojoy »
Fan Expansions: Fiefs | Labyrinths | Schoolhouses | Vistas
Poetry Website: michaelstalcup.com

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
Re: Help with uploading to Downloads section
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 02:31:25 PM »
I really think we should consider increasing the limit now.  25MB is a reasonable size I think.

Stalcupojoy - are you able to upload a smaller file?

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 02:48:26 PM »
I really think we should consider increasing the limit now.  25MB is a reasonable size I think.

Stalcupojoy - are you able to upload a smaller file?

Haven't tried yet. Headed to bed now and it will have to wait until I have some more spare time in the coming days.

I certainly agree that we should consider increasing the file size limit. I strongly prefer having fan expansion tiles at high resolution because I find that it really does make a difference in how well they mix with the official tiles. At Carcassonne-Forum they seem to push for (even require?) high-resolution tiles for download, to maintain a quality standard, and I think that is a good approach. And I feel the file size limit here has the opposite effect. Just my thoughts, offered humbly and with loads of gratitude for all the hard work that has been put into the system as it is.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 10:36:10 PM by stalcupojoy »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 02:52:01 PM »
I've got private unlimited hosting if you're ever wanting to share anything larger - assuming you're happy with me hosting it and can send it to me!

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 02:56:38 PM »
I've got private unlimited hosting if you're ever wanting to share anything larger - assuming you're happy with me hosting it and can send it to me!

Thanks Decar. I have plenty of Google Drive storage myself, but would love to have my expansions available on this site and as part of this community, since this is the community that introduced me to fan expansions and is the place where I will developed most of them, with help from the members here. I suppose I can just upload a low-res version to CarcC with a link to the high-res version on my own site... but why not just increase the file size limit, as you say?

Offline stalcupojoy

• Count
    • View Profile
    • Michael Stalcup (Poet)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 10:57:30 PM »
Good news, I got the file just under 7 MB and it uploaded fine. I re-exported the tiles as high-quality .jpgs instead of .pngs (my bad -- those were unnecessarily large; still learning...) and that did most of the work without a visible drop in quality. Then all I had to do was ditch the print-ready PDF of tiles (which is fine; I think raw images are more flexible and practical for printing anyway) and it was small enough.

Update: I was able to further compress the images for my 12-tile Vistas expansion, with no visible drop in quality, so those should be upload able as well. The problem is not as bad as it first seemed.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 08:22:41 AM by stalcupojoy »

Offline gantry

• Administrator
  • Chatelain
  • Merit: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 11:36:43 AM »
I've given the go ahead to increase space. No, we won't be spreading files or anything else across multiple servers, bad news all around once you start doing things like that.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Downloads section

Started by Scott

13 Replies
Last post July 14, 2013, 10:24:54 PM
by kettlefish
xx
Badly sort by Date in Downloads

Started by Bumsakalaka

4 Replies
Last post May 04, 2020, 02:19:11 AM