Carc Central Community > Unofficial Rules

Combining River I and River II

<< < (2/2)

Meepledrone:
This always seemed odd to me.

In my first games I always mixed the fork tile with the rest to add variety to the river shape. Later I stuck to the rules and placed the fork right after the source. Mixing the fork seems more fun to me... But you may lead to issues if it is drawn towards the end of the river placement and only river curves are left (the fork may create a U-turn-ish situation).

JohannesD:
Well, you just struck a chord right there... :-)

Rivers are one of the features that we like very much and each time we play, we use 2-4 river sets in order to make the terrain even more pleasing to the eye with those light blue streams meandering across the land (after all one of the reasons we enjoy playing Carcassonne so much is the aesthetic aspect of the game and its guaranteed variability). So we start with 2-3 sources which we usually place around the "City of Carcassone" using one or two forks almost equally distributed in the rest of the 20-30 river tiles, keeping the river mouths apart and face down (of course one has to count the correct number of river mouths to use according to the number of source tiles and forks). On his turn each player is free to continue whichever river/branch he chooses and can also end the river if he pleases.

We also use one more river set by mixing its source tile in the tile stacks after around 100 tiles and when it comes up we immediately place the rest of the river tiles as if it were the start of the game. We try to position the source next to such a tile that wouldn't create "problems" with the placement of the rest of the river tiles, but should such an occasion arise, we leave it aside for later, draw the next river tile and use the one we left aside after this one.

Each time we play we use a different combination of river sets (we have 1 C2 base game river, 1 Big Box6 river, 1 anniversary edition river, 2 Exp.6 river sets and 1 BigBox 2021 river). We also like using the double source tile of the anniversary edition next to which we sometimes attach 2 forks!

I know it sounds a bit(?) extreme but we really like to have so much of the element of water on the terrain (we always include the "Ferries" too!). I'm attaching a couple of images so that you can get an idea of what I mean...
I think that one of the best qualities of Carcassonne is the fact that one can adjust it to one's taste and enjoyment while the mechanics of the game stay intact.

J.

kothmann:
If anyone else wants to go River-crazy (this does look super cool), I have two extra copies of C1 River-I that I would be happy to send out.  Just PM me.

Meepledrone:
Awesome images, JohannesD!

+1 merit from me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version