Author Topic: Halflings can slow down the game!  (Read 1358 times)

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
Halflings can slow down the game!
« on: November 04, 2021, 11:05:06 AM »
As we continue to expand our Strategies on playing Carcassonne, individual turns seem to be taking longer.  We are no longer just looking at how to place our new tile to improve the features that we have claimed, but we are also looking at how to use that new tile to Sabotage our opponents and/or how to freeload on the work they have done.

Now comes the Halflings tiles!  The basic rules seem to indicate that you start off with the 12 Halflings I tiles plus the 12 Halflings II tiles and each player draws 3 Halflings while the rest are put out of play back in the box.  The timing with these rules seems to be getting out of hand!

Now instead of drawing a tile and considering if we should play it to improve our game or mess with someone else’s game is only the second phase of your turn’s timing.  Phase one is now looking at your Halflings each turn to determine if you should use a Halfling or draw a random tile.

We have thought of a few options, such as drawing only 1 or 2 Halflings at the start of the game and possibly keeping the remaining Halflings as replacements until they are all gone.

Has anyone else experienced the slow down caused by the Halflings?  And have you come up with any solutions?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5532.0
Totally addicted to this game

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Halflings can slow down the game!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 04:27:13 PM »
When I play with Haflings and/or German castles we are not as disciplined as to check these tiles in our supply every turn. If you see an interesting gap you may check then. Otherwise, like you said, the game will slow down if each tile placement involves checking all your options...  :o
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 11:13:45 PM »
Our group started playing Carcassonne in June 2021 and we have already found and read the “Carcassonne Strategy Guide” published by Meeple Mountain:

https://www.meeplemountain.com/articles/carcassonne-strategy-guide/

And we are already into “Every tile is useful”.  We are spending about the same amount of time maximizing our own scores as we spend minimizing each other’s scores.

Offline Carcassonne King

• Villein
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 04:23:57 AM »
Yeah, that is kind of a problem, so we decided to not follow the rules on this one.  At our house, we take turns randomly drawing the halfling tiles at the end after all of the regular tiles have been exhausted.  This system has worked well for us.

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 09:35:02 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, but that removes a lot of what we find interesting with the Halflings.

When someone isolates one or more of your meeples by creating a tile space that basically does not exist “on all four sides”, a Halfling only has to match on two sides to upset their Isolation move.

When they place a parasite city tile and meeple at a right angle to the edge of your large city to force you to share the city, a Halfling can ignore their city tile and maybe even isolate their meeple!

And 5 of the 24 combined Halflings include roads that terminate in the middle of a field that allows you to join the farms on both sides of the road.

There is even a “random” crop circle.  Playing the normal Crop Circle expansion, each of the 6 crop circle tiles force you to take action on the fields, roads, OR cities.  The Halfling crop circle lets you choose field, road, or city before choosing the Crop Circle Action.

Our game night this weekend we will probably try drawing just a single Halfling each with the remaining Halflings on the side as replacements.

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2021, 07:56:44 AM »
Those who frequent here know my opinions of The Halflings :D

The biggest issues with the Halflings (other than the scoring rules get totally messed), is that they aren't enough of them.

Without considering it too much, I'd consider using 2 sets of Halflings instead of just one, and shuffling them all together into a separate bag so a player can choose a normal tile or a .5ling.

Alternatively, create a public display of 3 halfling tiles, so that players can at least have some chance of combating some of the tactics they introduce.

HTH!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Halflings I or Halflings II

Started by stalcupojoy

6 Replies
Last post January 11, 2016, 01:49:58 PM
by Hounk
clip
Down the C1 Rabbit Hole

Started by totec55

14 Replies
Last post February 21, 2021, 12:45:33 AM