Author Topic: Does the Tower base terminate Roads?  (Read 1867 times)

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
Does the Tower base terminate Roads?
« on: February 19, 2022, 08:23:29 AM »
Footnote 4 for the Tower expansion is very specific: “Tower foundations and towers built on top are separate features from roads, cities and fields. Towers are not part of any of the features they stand on or "touch" (they are not part of a city or field touching them), so there is no interaction between them:”

Looking at 4 of the tower expansion tiles:

I assume that the road on the first tile continues to the city so there are two fields on that tile. As for the other 3 tower tiles; Does the tower base terminate the road segments and divide the tiles into multiple roads and fields?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5764.0
Totally addicted to this game

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
Re: Does the Tower base terminate Roads?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 09:19:14 AM »
This would be true. As it says, they are not part of the road, and thus stops the road from continuing. This is how my group always played.

But I do see the potential misinterpeting, as it is not part of the road it can mean it doesn't stop the road(s).

And then there is this: No tower, no stopping the road. Tower piece(s), road(s) become separated. A nice idea I think, adding complexity.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline cicerunner

• Duke
  • Merit: 5
  • 2020 meeple vision
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 10:16:38 AM »
Looking at 4 of the tower expansion tiles:

I assume that the road on the first tile continues to the city so there are two fields on that tile. As for the other 3 tower tiles; Does the tower base terminate the road segments and divide the tiles into multiple roads and fields?
What other interpretations are there?
Not trying to be (excessively) argumentative but I don't really understand the need for the question.

Straightforwardly there are 2, 2, 3 and 4 fields on those tiles. (Notwithstanding the part of your post that I cut.)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 10:21:17 AM by cicerunner »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 10:30:53 AM »
Since there is at least 1 person asking about this, question is merited.

Basing the rules by tile observation is not an official rule clarification.

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2022, 10:46:04 AM »
The primary question being asked is how many roads are represented on each tile.  The similar basic game tiles include a FFRR tile where the two roads are connected.  The similar basic game tiles for the three and four road tiles include a small town in the center of those tiles so the last two tower tiles would have three and four separate roads. BUT: On the Abbey and Mayor tile with three road, the road are connected together forming a circle, so there is only one road, not three. AND: On the Trader and Builder tile with four road edges, there is a bridge in the center of the tile, so there are only 2 roads, not four.

SO, does the tower base act as a small town, does it cover a road circle, or does it cover a bridge?

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 11:17:17 AM »
Since the tower foundations are separate features from the roads, therefore they terminate the roads. I don't think it is feasible to suggest that the road continues through the tower foundation.

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 12:35:46 PM »
I don’t understand the doubt… emoji code3166]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2022, 02:51:20 PM »
Tower foundations are an independent feature from roads, cities and fields, so you can see that:
* Roads end at tower foundations.
* Tower foundations also separate fields

Please check footnote:
https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Tower#cite_note-4
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline cicerunner

• Duke
  • 2020 meeple vision
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2022, 03:52:33 PM »
SO, does the tower base act as a small town, does it cover a road circle, or does it cover a bridge?
Or does it cover a volcano? Or a watchtower?

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2022, 03:54:35 PM »
I’m grateful for the WICA and also for the great explanations provided by @Meepledrone and many others here in the Forum.

But for me personally, “what are the official rules…?” is a less interesting question than “What if the rules were…?”

We never play official tower rules, but what if the tower base did not separate roads, but an actual tower did?  Would there be interesting new tactics?!

Offline cicerunner

• Duke
  • 2020 meeple vision
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2022, 03:56:09 PM »
Since there is at least 1 person who doesn't understand the need for the question their statement of this lack of understanding is merited.

The person making the observation did not provide an official rule clarification.

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2022, 04:30:08 PM »
Or does it cover a volcano? Or a watchtower?
Oh, fun idea!  What if we put some kind of marking on the bottom of tower floors and then changed the rules so that players could somehow excavate to the base and keep the “artifacts”on the floor bottoms?!  Like a mystery Trade Goods variant?!

My point is that open discussion of any rule can stimulate new ideas!

+1 merit to @PapaGeek for this latest in his long series of posts that question conventional wisdom.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 06:02:40 AM »
Cicerunner. No reason to be rude.

Your attitude suggest I am stupid.

Offline cicerunner

• Duke
  • 2020 meeple vision
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2022, 02:10:52 PM »
Cicerunner. No reason to be rude.

Your attitude suggest I am stupid.
I believe you are referring to my replies below. If so, whilst I didn't intend to be rude I was certainly annoyed (for reasons I'll explain in a moment). If my annoyance came across as rudeness then I apologise. To be clear I certainly don't believe you are stupid.

Quote from: cicerunner
Quote from: Paul
Since there is at least 1 person who doesn't understand the need for the question their statement of this lack of understanding is merited.
I found your reply annoying because it seemed to suggest that I shouldn't post that I didn't understand the need for the question. I genuinely didn't understand the need for the question and so posting to say so seemed reasonable. To me.

Quote from: cicerunner
Quote from: Paul
The person making the observation did not provide an official rule clarification.
Your reply here seemed to go even further by apparently stating that I wasn't even allowed to post my opinion on what the correct way to interpret the tiles was. I didn't state that I was supplying an official clarification and so you telling me that my observations didn't amount to one seemed like you were just trying to shut me down; to deny that my opinion was even worth posting.

Yes I expressed my annoyance by paraphrasing you. (Because I felt I was being told not to post.) I don't believe my original comments were in any way inappropriate and so my annoyance at apparently being told not to post didn't, and doesn't, seem unjustified. But again, I did not intend to be rude nor to suggest that you are stupid. I certainly don't believe that you are.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 03:59:06 PM by cicerunner »

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2022, 07:01:04 PM »

So in essence, you're asking how many roads feature on these tiles based on the idea that there might be a secret invisible bridge *underneath* the tower base? Without wishing to cause offence, this seems like an unnecessary question to me and I'm genuinely surprised it's being asked.

@Paul - if you're going to accuse others of being rude for no apparent reason, please watch your own manners too. If I was cicerunner I would have been quite offended by your bluntness here. In fact, I'm quite offended by it even though I'm not cicerunner.

Locking this thread as we've established an answer and no further comments are helpful or necessary.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
What if a player draws a tower tile but they don't have any more tower floors?

Started by carca82

5 Replies
Last post September 27, 2022, 01:12:49 AM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Builder and roads

Started by Carcassonne0123

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2020, 08:07:19 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Back to the basics - scoring roads and cities

Started by SxN

8 Replies
Last post January 03, 2021, 08:53:22 AM
by Meepledrone
question
Completing Roads and Cities that have not got any pieces in

Started by Nerdio

5 Replies
Last post January 03, 2016, 03:13:08 AM
by Nerdio
clip
Scoring quiz with roads (summer tutti frutti)

Started by Meepledrone

17 Replies
Last post November 01, 2021, 08:11:40 AM
by Meepledrone