Author Topic: Carcassonne - new Edition - Is that true?  (Read 135515 times)

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne - new Edition - Is that true?
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2014, 02:09:55 AM »
At the spielbox forum:

The question (free translation):
Has the new mini "Abbot" something to do with the mini "German Monasteries"?

Answer from Christof Tisch (graphics and rule desinger from HiG):
The Abbot is a completely new not yet published mini. This mini has nothing to do with the German Monasteries.

Offline Tacita

• La folia!
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 18
  • The last cookie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2014, 03:21:58 AM »
With HiG mixing general release mini-expansions, limited release stuff , new river mini-expansions bundled with the base game and out of print larger expansions bundled with the big box , add in two new colours of meeples and now adding a new abbot meeple if you buy new copies of the game, well it all just seems a little bit too much merchandise for too little product.
Yes. They keep spitting their old fans in the face with crap like this.

The Abbot is a completely new not yet published mini. This mini has nothing to do with the German Monasteries.
Of course not. All according to their policy towards their old fans.
"We do not want to make someone buy a whole set just to get a few new cards. We like our fans!" - Donald X Vaccarino

Link

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2014, 03:53:24 AM »
I've got to side with you on this one, Tobias. If The Abbot is truly a new expansion (which I still don't really think it is), then this is the second slap to the face we've received from Hans im Glück in the past year:

The Besiegers – Only currently available in a limited edition base game in Germany
The German Monasteries – Briefly available, soon to be available again
Hills & Sheep – Available publicly
The River I (2.0) – Only available in Big Box 5 currently
Wheel of Fortune (New language-independent wheel and odd tile arrangement) – Only available in Big Box 5 currently
The Abbot – Only available in Carcassonne 2.0
The Half Tiles – Available from Spielbox and Hans im Glück

Five new expansions and two revisions of old ones. Of those, over half are dependent on the re-purchase of the base game and/or something larger. It's not polite to the older fans including those keeping all the rules in line. Kettlefish has been nice being able to get some of these for us, but that doesn't fix the bigger problem. I see very little value in adding new expansions to base games when the audience for those games are new players to begin with. Changing the cover I understand but the components should remain static. Add The River, for all I care, but keep it to that. Kinda getting annoyed, to be honest.

Offline Jputt927

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 37
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2014, 07:45:25 AM »
Kettlefish has been nice being able to get some of these for us, but that doesn't fix the bigger problem. I see very little value in adding new expansions to base games when the audience for those games are new players to begin with. Changing the cover I understand but the components should remain static. Add The River, for all I care, but keep it to that. Kinda getting annoyed, to be honest.

I've got to agree with this as well. If you're going to bundle these rare, new expansions with endless versions of the base game, at least offer the dedicated, existing fans an easy alternative. And, let's be clear about that option from the get go. I'd like clarification on this new strategy we're seeing with releasing expansions...because as Whaleyland put it...it's getting annoying. And when that's the reaction being given by the games MOST loyal fans, that's concerning.

Gerry

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2014, 08:30:16 AM »
If they were to release a collected edition of the rare and out of print expansions it would probably sell very well with the established fans.  If they could include the Spielbox stuff as well that would be great.

They could even boost the profits by including (and charging for) some sort of book on the history of the game and the company and coverage of some of the championships.  And they could even make a buck or so by including the lapel pins.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2014, 08:36:00 AM »
There's always kickstarter projects.

Spielbox, for example could put out an expansion or collection of them. Once they get enough funds to cover the cost and make a decent profit they can print it in one go and ship it to those that paid for it.
  If waiting for a good price and then pay for it is no problem, one most likely would be willing paying first and wait, knowing getting the product in the end.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2014, 08:54:08 AM »
Here is the link to HiG homepage - news:

HiG - news - Carcassonne II

Link to HiG facebook:
HiG - facebook - Carcassonne II
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:00:43 AM by kettlefish »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2014, 09:01:25 AM »
Here is the link to HiG:

Carcassonne II

Hopefully they will make the River and other starter kits with the same background as regular tiles so those of us that do not use bags or other methods can mix these as well.  :(y)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2014, 09:02:18 AM »
My understanding is that there are licensing problems with many of the Spielbox expansions, certainly the older ones, which would make reprinting them tricky from a legal point of view. If it was worth it financially then I’m sure a solution could be found but I think the number of fans seeking the rare and hard to find expansions is probably relatively small compared to how many sales they could expect from some new and never seen before expansion even if it isn’t all that good.

I don’t necessarily condone it but I imagine that HiG are probably in the same boat. Whilst I’m sure they’d never set out to deliberately alienate/ frustrate those who most enjoy and support the games they’re responsible for (why would they do this?) it probably makes most sense for them as a business to focus on attracting new players. And if this means enticing them with some unique special edition then so be it.

Gerry

« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2014, 09:09:29 AM »
My understanding is that there are licensing problems with many of the Spielbox expansions, certainly the older ones, which would make reprinting them tricky from a legal point of view.

If Microsoft can agree with Apple to get it's office products working on a MAC and ITunes on a PC then I am sure that they could work something out.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2014, 09:10:02 AM »
My understanding is that there are licensing problems with many of the Spielbox expansions, certainly the older ones, which would make reprinting them tricky from a legal point of view. If it was worth it financially then I’m sure a solution could be found but I think the number of fans seeking the rare and hard to find expansions is probably relatively small compared to how many sales they could expect from some new and never seen before expansion even if it isn’t all that good.

I don’t necessarily condone it but I imagine that HiG are probably in the same boat. Whilst I’m sure they’d never set out to deliberately alienate/ frustrate those who most enjoy and support the games they’re responsible for (why would they do this?) it probably makes most sense for them as a business to focus on attracting new players. And if this means enticing them with some unique special edition then so be it.

Would they consider letting us know exactly how many copies needs to be printed to make it worthwhile? That alone would put my mind to rest whether it's farfetched or not that a reprint will be available.

Offline quevy

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 105
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2014, 09:16:32 AM »
Many questions fill my mind. New expansions come out for all 2 graphics? The old carc will still be supported? Compatibility? Everything that is published for the old Carc will be available for new graphics (apart from the catapult :))

The remaking of the graphics can be interesting, I'm curious to see what's new, but honestly even I like this company policy.
Surely I will not stop purchasing, unfortunately my collector's mania is bigger. Of course this starts to be frustrating having to repurchase the same things for 4 or 6 new tiles.
It would be a good thing if these things were available immediately for those of us who already has everything in multiple copies, or those who already have a basic game and does not want to buy another. You could at least on a regular basis all be collected in a special expansion as has happened for the expansion 6.
A knight is sworn to valour.
His heart knows only virtue.
His blade defends the helpless.
His might upholds the weak.
His word speaks only truth.
His wrath undoes the wicked.

:white-meeple: My works.

Gerry

« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2014, 09:18:26 AM »

I doubt if many new players realize what the new components are.  The Big Box that I bought which included Traders, Inns, Princess, Bridges and Abbey (but frustratingly no River) was a much better starter set to get new players interested.  And it did not upset existing players because they all could have purchased this separately.

I don't think they are trying to deliberately upset anyone but it kind of looks like they are “running on empty”

Gerry

« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2014, 09:28:23 AM »

Link to HiG facebook:

Google translate produces a lovely phrase in the english translation

we have revised the rule to allow everyone a liquid entry

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2014, 09:31:17 AM »
My understanding is that there are licensing problems with many of the Spielbox expansions, certainly the older ones, which would make reprinting them tricky from a legal point of view.

If Microsoft can agree with Apple to get it's office products working on a MAC and ITunes on a PC then I am sure that they could work something out.

I think that's a very different kettle of fish!

I wasn't suggesting it was impossible, just unlikely for financial reasons. And whilst this is based purely on my understanding of the situation, there are plenty of people here who have been following Carcassonne for a lot longer than I have who may be able to provide a more definite answer.

Link to HiG facebook:

Google translate produces a lovely phrase in the english translation

we have revised the rule to allow everyone a liquid entry

I saw this too. No idea what it means! Maybe it means you can place followers on the river?  :D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:34:33 AM by danisthirty »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
6th expansion Count, King and Robber (German edition) for new edition is on sale

Started by ozgurceylan

24 Replies
Last post July 17, 2017, 08:27:58 AM
by Just a Bill
xx
Carcassonne first edition?? Is it first edition?

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

10 Replies
Last post May 28, 2016, 01:07:24 PM
by Halfling
xx
WTB: Carcassonne Limited Edition and Limited Edition Die Märkte zu Leipzig

Started by Frans0

0 Replies
Last post February 12, 2022, 09:13:14 AM
by Frans0
clip
New edition Carcassonne with "der Abot"