Author Topic: question about carcassonne mechanic  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Dodobass

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
question about carcassonne mechanic
« on: July 14, 2022, 01:52:27 AM »
Hi guys,
I'm a longtime lurker and carcassonn player but with no post, until now :-)
I was asking if in all the carc expansions and spin off does exist some "n in a row" mechanic, or in general some pattern recognition related mechanic, obtained from symbols chaining or positioning printed on the tiles. I'm trying to develop something like that in a game so I'd like not to copy anything :-)

thanks a lot!

D.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6011.0

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
Re: question about carcassonne mechanic
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 03:23:33 AM »
Hi guys,
I'm a longtime lurker and carcassonn player but with no post, until now :-)
I was asking if in all the carc expansions and spin off does exist some "n in a row" mechanic, or in general some pattern recognition related mechanic, obtained from symbols chaining or positioning printed on the tiles. I'm trying to develop something like that in a game so I'd like not to copy anything :-)

thanks a lot!

D.

I suppose yes. All Carcassonne spin-offs uses similar mechanics. Tiles placed to table creating unique game. Each spin-off uses different features but main mechanics stays. You need to place tile to connect features on a placing tile to match all features on it's edges.

What is different in spin-offs, that they uses different scoring mechanics, or they are using new features, which are not in regular Carcassonne.

If you are developping brand new game, it will be good to check rules of all of them to be unique and not copy.
Good source is https://www.wikicarpedia.com/ and also check Fan expansions (some of them with detailed rules are here https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Fan_Expansions)

Good reading time!
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline OneEyedOwl

• Vassal
  • Merit: 2
  • Based in Germany, at the Swiss border
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 08:01:04 AM »
I think german Cloisters has something similat to that
No interest in 1st edition, but glad to help anyone looking for them. If you see something on ebay-kleinanzeigen.de and need someone to ship to your country, hit me up ^^

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 09:24:48 AM »
Welcome dodobass.

Are you meaning that if a player places a tile there may be a follow-on action based on a feature or something on it, or an adjacent tile, that immediately, for example, allows the player to take another tile, which might trigger another tile, and so on? Like a continuing builder so long as the city he's in is extended?

I've been looking though all the fan expansions for a listing on Wikicarpedia and don't think I've seen anything that creates a series of knock-on events - normally the follow-on action only occurs once. However, it's possible I've missed it as I've looked at an awful lot of expansion rules over the last few months ...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 09:27:24 AM by wolnic »
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 09:25:23 AM »
I think german Cloisters has something similat to that
Don't worry you'll find way! :)

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2022, 09:48:09 AM »
The closest thing I can think of is The Signposts mini expansion, which awards points for roads that continue in the direction indicated at the edge of a tile (left/right/straight).  There is no new “mechanic”, just scoring points.

Good luck with your development.  Be sure to share when it’s done!

Also, welcome to the Forum!

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2022, 12:07:15 PM »
Hi @Dodobass,

Congrats for your first post!

When I read your post I was imaginning something like Scrabble... Tiles with symbols that have an trigger special mechanics or effects if aligned properly (like forming a valid word in Scrabble ;) )

Two fan expansions came to my mind:

* The White Horse (by FarawayPictures on BGG) ---> Extra points for putting together the pieces of an image
   https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/55516/white-horse-tiny-expansion   

* The Astronomers (by @Decar on CarcC)---> Extra points for placing tiles with star symbols when placed aligned to form constellations (two or more stars aligned in rows, columns or diagonals... not necessarily adjacent in this case)
   https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=1902.msg30330#msg30330
   https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=2330.0

Don't know if this is something that may help you... 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 11:42:35 PM by Meepledrone »
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 12:20:22 PM »
Additionally there is another fan expansion that came to my mind where you collect pieces of large stained glass windows as a side game... It is not probably directly related to the case you were interested in, but I thought it was worth mentioning:

* Stained Glass (by @Trebuchet on CarcC):
   https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=161

As you can see, the tiles are beautiful!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 12:28:34 PM by Meepledrone »

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2022, 02:55:01 PM »
Thanks for sharing that last one Meepledrone - that looks great!

Don't forget the River expansions too.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2022, 11:54:03 PM »
Thank you @Decar for The Astronomers. I love that mini and can't stop recommending it. Its simplicity and cuteness blew me away back in the day.

Offline Snearone

• Duke
  • Merit: 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2022, 02:28:23 AM »
@Darathor used pattern recognition mechanic in his Monuments

Completed: Robber's Son | Gambler's Luck | Vistas Revisited | First Wells | The Flying Machines 2
WIP: The Occult Tower | Binding Deed | Wandering Preachers | City Gates Rebuilt | New King's Orders

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2022, 03:37:42 AM »
That is a great one, @Snearone:(y) :(y)

Offline Dodobass

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2022, 03:45:08 AM »
Guys, first of all thanks to everyone answered to my question, and the one who get closer to my need was @Meepledrone with the astronomers expansion, even if the stained glass one is really beautiful too.
I'll try to be more specific in order to clarify my question.
I'm trying to create an hex game inspired by carcassonne but with a twist.
One thing that I don't like much about Carc is that once you layed a tile the tile is "not active" anymore. My goal was to create a "living tile" that had to be crucial in the strategy of the game! So I came up whit a twist: creating an hex tile, where the upper part is a twisting disk, and the bottom is made by a territorial piece (just like Carc).
The goal is to create, when all the tiles are posed on the table,  a bigger "close" zone of your color; a  greater goal is to connect your zones with the "stations" (the dots) in order to score more points (adding the score of the connected zones) ... But the player with 4 dots connected loose immediatly!
Actually the "stations connection" is not satisfying me yet... so I'll look for something similar to get inspiration from :-D
I don't have rules yet in english, but in attachment you'll find the rules in italian, just to show you how the game looks like.
As you can see the pawn move thru the paths that constantly changing...just like  the alignment of the dots (the stations).

« Last Edit: July 22, 2022, 04:05:38 AM by Dodobass »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Siege mechanic tiles for roads

Started by Christopher

5 Replies
Last post September 23, 2016, 07:40:48 PM
by stalcupojoy
xx
Are Farmers a Core Mechanic or Optional?

Started by Decar

32 Replies
Last post July 13, 2017, 12:23:16 PM
by ny1050220
xx
Recommended Expansion (/mechanic) Combinations

Started by ooh_jim

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2015, 10:53:44 AM
by Hounk
xx
Carcassonne South Seas rules question