Author Topic: Playing a game with 3 copies of the same "expansion"  (Read 633 times)

carca82

Playing a game with 3 copies of the same "expansion"
« on: August 17, 2022, 05:30:15 AM »
The title for this thread is an obvious take on this other discussion...

I just realized I now own the base game in three different versions: C1 (Big Box 2), C2 (Big Box 6) and C3 (20th Anniversary). After the success of the aforelinked game I couldn't help imagining how a game containing all 3 at the same tile could feel like.

Has any of you ever tried this, or something similar? The game would use ~215 tiles and probably wouldn't require any special house rule since it's only tiles from the base game (good luck counting them!). 

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6057.0

Offline Scott

• Administrator
  • Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 114
    • View Profile
    • CarcassonneCentral
Re: Playing a game with 3 copies of the same "expansion"
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 06:55:29 AM »
Three base games will make for a longer game. I suspect it won’t be quite as interesting as playing with multiple copies of the same expansion. Adding more copies of the base game can be helpful in mega Carcassonne games to balance out all the expansion tiles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
Re: Playing a game with 3 copies of the same "expansion"
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 12:23:06 PM »
The game … probably wouldn't require any special house rule since it's only tiles from the base game.
I think it depends a lot on how your group tends to play.  With base game tiles only, there are 7 edge combinations missing, so trapping a meeple in a feature that can never be completed is pretty easy.  When you play with I&C and T&B, you are only missing CFFR, so trapping is quite a bit harder.  If your group naturally avoids traps (“plays nice”), this might not be a problem.  But with players who try to trap opponents’ meeples, a game with 3X base games but still only 7 meeples might tend to an unpleasant meeple shortage late in the game.

Players can of course adjust their strategies, but if you have Das Fest (10th Anniversary), you could add one or more copies of those 10 tiles, which leave only CCRF, CCFR, CRCF combinations missing, and of course allow you to escape when trapped.

Since you seem amenable to house rules, you could also keep just base game tiles and allow the “meeple removal” mechanic whenever a player places a tile with a pennant but doesn’t place a meeple.

Or (shameless self-promotion), you could try my “Gates and Walls” expansion, which helps players avoid trapped meeples with a simple new mechanic.

I hope you’ll share more photos!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Playing a game with 2 copies of the same expansion

Started by carca82

16 Replies
Last post August 18, 2022, 02:35:22 PM
by Drodo
xx
A few "the plague" copies found

Started by txema25

9 Replies
Last post May 09, 2017, 11:56:05 AM
by Just a Bill
xx
A copy of "Die Belagerer" for either "Die Katharer" or "Die Kornkreise I"

Started by Hylian87

3 Replies
Last post September 11, 2013, 03:04:52 PM
by Hylian87
xx
Was the C1 version of Hills and Sheeps printed in like 10 copies or what?

Started by carca82

9 Replies
Last post October 01, 2022, 12:35:38 PM
by carca82
xx
How to play with two copies of Carcassonne Mists? (Help)

Started by Meles

4 Replies
Last post October 22, 2023, 09:46:37 AM
by Meles