Author Topic: 2016 World Cup - Group A  (Read 24329 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Re: 2016 World Cup - Group A
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2016, 10:40:01 AM »
Today someone available for a game??
 :D

Yes, I'm in the chat room.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2016, 03:04:23 PM »
jungleboy 226, jma03 (jacobo) 200

This was a fun game that came down to the last two tiles. Jacobo led for most of the game but even early on, you could see than an epic farm battle was going to eventuate and that this farm would decide the game. Jacobo got his double meeple into it, and trapped my double meeple out of it, so that gave him the advantage. I kept trying to catch up with some cities, and Jacobo closed a couple of them to make sure he won the trade goods. With about 15 tiles to go I started placing my last three meeples on the outside of the farm, hoping to join 1 to tie or 2 to win. I managed to join one of them, while Jacobo blocked another. He then placed another meeple on the outside of the farm one tile away from joining. With four tiles left, it was my turn and the farm was tied. I needed a FFCX and I managed to draw it and join my meeple to take the lead in the farm. Jacobo needed a RFFX to join his, but he didn't get it and on my next turn, I placed a tile so that he needed RFFC, which was already out. With his last tile, he drew the RFFR that would have won him the farm and the game if he had drawn it one turn earlier. Instead, I held on to win the farm and the game.

Great game Jacobo!

Offline jma03

• Count
  • Merit: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2016, 02:09:59 PM »
jungleboy 226, jma03 (jacobo) 200

This was a fun game that came down to the last two tiles. Jacobo led for most of the game but even early on, you could see than an epic farm battle was going to eventuate and that this farm would decide the game. Jacobo got his double meeple into it, and trapped my double meeple out of it, so that gave him the advantage. I kept trying to catch up with some cities, and Jacobo closed a couple of them to make sure he won the trade goods. With about 15 tiles to go I started placing my last three meeples on the outside of the farm, hoping to join 1 to tie or 2 to win. I managed to join one of them, while Jacobo blocked another. He then placed another meeple on the outside of the farm one tile away from joining. With four tiles left, it was my turn and the farm was tied. I needed a FFCX and I managed to draw it and join my meeple to take the lead in the farm. Jacobo needed a RFFX to join his, but he didn't get it and on my next turn, I placed a tile so that he needed RFFC, which was already out. With his last tile, he drew the RFFR that would have won him the farm and the game if he had drawn it one turn earlier. Instead, I held on to win the farm and the game.

Great game Jacobo!
thanks for the post nick.
It was a great game and a great struggle for the main farm.
In fact you use all meeples to carry it out.
great game you too
When you lose, do not look at what you lost, but what's left to win ..

Offline Halfling

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 49
  • Welcome tournament 2015 winner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2016, 11:19:57 AM »
7 Games played so far.
The Geek shall inherit the earth if we get a good die role

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
2016 World Cup - Group A
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2016, 07:21:13 AM »
Grabushka 259, jungleboy 230

Yesterday I played a World Cup match in person with Grabushka in Essen. We played in the Restaurant Atrium at the south end of the Messe.

We started out each scoring small points fairly evenly until a few city battles emerged. Grabushka managed to glom on very well every time, securing control of a small cathedral city and using a two-city CFCF tile and her phantom to set up a glom on to not one but two of my cities in one move! She started to close these cities to take the lead in points and in trade goods. The cathedral city remained unclosed and needed a simple CFFF tile to close it. With about 50 tiles left, I drew the CFFF tile that goes to the corner and decided to close the cathedral city even though Grabushka had control of it, in order to block her out of the main farm. This backfired badly because she did not draw a CFFF tile for the rest of the game! The city was worth 36 points, so this was essentially the difference in the game.

I did end up winning the main farm after the usual end-of-game battle, but in addition to her edge in cities, Grabushka won all three trade goods and had three 8-point cloisters to pad her end-game scoring, so I was unable to catch up.

Congratulations Grabushka!

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 62
    • View Profile
2016 World Cup - Group A
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2016, 02:17:30 PM »
Another win for Grabushka  :-o

Grabushka 320 -  WhatIf 280

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Merit: 25
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2016, 01:11:44 AM »
Good Morning,

Anyone available to play this morning?
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he today that sheds his blood with me, Shall be my brother;

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2016, 11:26:18 AM »
9 games played, 6 left.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2016, 01:54:12 AM »
Good Morning All,

I should be able to play Today now till 17h30 GMT. Please send me a PM.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2016, 01:59:05 AM »
Good Morning All,

I should be able to play Today now till 17h30 GMT. Please send me a PM.

I forwarded this to Grabushka. Let see what she says. Normally she has some free time in the afternoon around 14:00 or 15:00.

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2016, 03:18:35 AM »
Grab is ok to play at 14:00 (13:00 your time). Sent you a PM. Waiting for your confirmation. Thanks!

Offline Jéré

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2016, 07:26:04 AM »
Apparently Grabushka managed to win another game, 4 in a row!

Hopefully she has saved the screenshot. I will publish when I arrive from work.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2016, 07:41:54 AM »
Indeed she did.
She was on an early lead but I managed to close down by middle of the tile count but closing a Cathedral city I tought blocked at 3 or 4 tiles from the end completly knocked me out.

Offline ny1050220

• Marquis
  • Merit: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2016, 09:01:45 AM »
Here's my game with Chooselife. My only win in this group ;)
It was really intense. I felt I was losing a game several times.
Chooselife got a farmer in his first tile, yes, that farm who got him 12 points. I've tried to surround him in a closed circle in vain.
Then we started to compete in the monster city up north (literally in this map, not related to Canada :P). After I sneaked in a second knight, Chooselife fought really hard to make it impossible to complete. At that time my builder was already in it, so I just keep expanding it, wasting tiles while count on my second tiles.
Over the course, I managed to block two of his knight and the builder in small and unfinished cities.
I blocked one of his farmer (SE to the big one) by the fffc tile right north to it.
Towards the end, Chooselife fought really hard again, attempting to connect more farmers. He was successful for the one east to my pig and he blocked one of mine NE to his this farmer, rendering 0 points for my that farmer.
With my very last ffxx tile (with a marking of 2 by the system), I was able to take my field back! Pure luck! Had he been successful in connecting his farmer in the NE corner, things would've been totally different and I would've lost all the group games...
One more note, I was in lead in tokens and he finally caught up with a few smaller cities.

Offline Chooselife

• Viscount
  • Just Ask
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2016, 10:13:03 AM »
Thanks for the game ny1050220 it was indeed tense.

Third time's the charm, another great game with jma03, I manage to block his builder early one and a few other meeples wasting tiles with my own builder.
By the end we were really close but manage to win with the very last tile.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
2016 World Cup - Group C

Started by danisthirty

46 Replies
Last post November 13, 2016, 10:13:02 PM
by Chuck
xx
2016 World Cup - Group D

Started by danisthirty

59 Replies
Last post November 14, 2016, 04:27:07 AM