Author Topic: Moving the fairy (castles and wagons)  (Read 1441 times)

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
Moving the fairy (castles and wagons)
« on: December 06, 2022, 06:01:47 AM »
Case #1: The fairy is assigned to a meeple placed on a 1-tile city. What happens to the fairy if that 1-tile city turns into a castle?

Case #2: The fairy is assigned to a wagon. What happens tp the fairy if that wagon moves after scoring?

These cases are not covered by WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Princess_and_The_Dragon, https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Abbey_and_the_Mayor and https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Bridges,_Castles_and_Bazaars.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6189.0
I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 47,200+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
Re: Moving the fairy (castles and wagons)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 08:04:18 AM »
Case #1: Maybe for that, that Fairy is associated to meeple, so if small city is converted to Castle, then fairy is kept there.
But I understand, that for new players, can be odd.

Case #2: Wagon with Fairy - wow, this is very nice question and situation. Funny thing is, that it never happened in any of my game before.
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 02:03:34 PM »
Case #1: The fairy is assigned to a meeple placed on a 1-tile city. What happens to the fairy if that 1-tile city turns into a castle?

Not a clarification yet for this case on any of the sources I checked back in the day. My current understanding is that the fairy should move to the castle along with the meeple. Rmoving the fairy seems too drastci and leaving it behind on the tile sounds very odd.

Case #2: The fairy is assigned to a wagon. What happens tp the fairy if that wagon moves after scoring?

These cases are not covered by WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/The_Princess_and_The_Dragon, https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Abbey_and_the_Mayor and https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Bridges,_Castles_and_Bazaars.

Same case here. My understanding is that the fairy should stay on the tile after scoring as if the wagon was returned to its owner, but instead if moves to a new location. Moving the fairy along with the wagon would grant additional points at the beginning of the player's turn and when the new feature is completed. The latter would mean granting the same bonus more than once to the same meeple, what sounds odd... We reached a similar conclusion for the ghosts, if you remember (after scoring the ghosts are left behind).
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Snearone

• Duke
  • Merit: 126
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 02:10:19 PM »
Not a clarification yet for this case on any of the sources I checked back in the day. My current understanding is that the fairy should move to the castle along with the meeple. Rmoving the fairy seems too drastci and leaving it behind on the tile sounds very odd.

Same case here. My understanding is that the fairy should stay on the tile after scoring as if the wagon was returned to its owner, but instead if moves to a new location. Moving the fairy along with the wagon would grant additional points at the beginning of the player's turn and when the new feature is completed. The latter would mean granting the same bonus more than once to the same meeple, what sounds odd... We reached a similar conclusion for the ghosts, if you remember (after scoring the ghosts are left behind).

I think there is no other way to look at that than this. JCloisterZone handles those two cases just like that already  :)
And for the dragon, fairy protects only the tile it was on in the first place, so let's say that "half" of the castle that had meeple before converting it to it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 02:37:54 PM by Snearone »
Completed: Robber's Son | Gambler's Luck | Vistas Revisited | First Wells | The Flying Machines 2
WIP: The Occult Tower | Binding Deed | Wandering Preachers | City Gates Rebuilt | New King's Orders

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 02:23:27 PM »
We reached a similar conclusion for the ghosts, if you remember (after scoring the ghosts are left behind).

Not really. Because for Ghosts are rule, that after scoring are ghosts removed from board. Fairy stays on tile. So when moved wagon, wagon is moved, but by rules fairy stays on original position.
So it's clear. Fairy is keeping position :D

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2022, 03:40:47 PM »
Yep, there are some differences and some similarities as well...

The ghost rules do not clarify what triggers the removal of the ghosts: the scoring of the feature or the return of the associated meeple to the player's supply. The latter would allow you to move a wagon along with its ghosts... We discarded this option.

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 05:39:15 AM »
These have to be covered by WICA.

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2022, 07:00:51 AM »
These have to be covered by WICA.
Indeed.

Odoslané z SM-A202F pomocou Tapatalku

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • Merit: 3
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2024, 07:16:34 PM »

Is there already a final conclusion regarding this case?
If the fairy joins the meeple to the castle, which tiles if any are protected against the dragon?
Both, the one the fairy was standing on originally or none (as the fairy is in the castle and not on the tile anymore)?

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2024, 06:08:14 AM »

If the fairy joins the meeple to the castle, which tiles if any are protected against the dragon?
Both, the one the fairy was standing on originally or none (as the fairy is in the castle and not on the tile anymore)?

By me? None. As you told, tile is not on tile, it's on castle token, which is not part of tile, and this is reason, why meeple on castle is protected by Castle against Dragon at all.

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2024, 09:18:14 AM »

By me? None. As you told, tile is not on tile, it's on castle token, which is not part of tile, and this is reason, why meeple on castle is protected by Castle against Dragon at all.

So the dragon is capable to enter both tiles located partly below the castle token with the fairy?

Offline NGC 54

• Marquis
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2024, 11:34:17 AM »
So the dragon is capable to enter both tiles located partly below the castle token with the fairy?

That's how I understand it: you can assign the fairy to a meeple placed in a castle (lord). If the fairy is assigned to a knight that turns into a lord, then the fairy will stay assigned to that meeple, that is, it moves from the city to the castle. If the fairy is assigned to a lord, the fairy does not protect any tiles. The lord cannot be eaten by the dragon, but the dragon can step on the 2 tiles with the small city segments underneath the castle, as the fairy does not protect them.

Offline Vital Pluymers

• Duke
  • The King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2024, 12:58:40 PM »

That's how I understand it: you can assign the fairy to a meeple placed in a castle (lord). If the fairy is assigned to a knight that turns into a lord, then the fairy will stay assigned to that meeple, that is, it moves from the city to the castle. If the fairy is assigned to a lord, the fairy does not protect any tiles. The lord cannot be eaten by the dragon, but the dragon can step on the 2 tiles with the small city segments underneath the castle, as the fairy does not protect them.

Sounds indeed logical and reasonable.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
Wagons, ringmasters, german castles and castles

Started by NGC 54

3 Replies
Last post May 31, 2020, 07:21:23 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Clarification of rules (Castles, wagons and abbeys) - with HiG - 01 02 2021

Started by Meepledrone

9 Replies
Last post February 24, 2021, 12:26:49 AM