Author Topic: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXXII  (Read 36845 times)

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
  • Merit: 34
  • Fight, Flight, Freeze ..... or Play :)
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXXII
« Reply #255 on: January 06, 2023, 08:32:08 AM »
By the way: a very belated congratulations to @KBellon for sharing the first place in the most correct answers with me!!   :(y)

Also, obviously, if you do not have the Spiel'22 tile yet and want to have it, it has to go to you before all others! Please let me know!

Sorry, I completely had a black-out on this one...

Offline KBellon

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 06, 2023, 08:53:17 AM »
A lot of thanks again to @Meepledrone again for the nicely and tricky constructed Advent Quiz.
And thanks to all the WICA wizards who wrote down the helpful footnotes (I needed them quite a few times this year  ;D )

And my congratulations to @corinthiens13 for keeping up your winning streak and @Challa007 for also answering the most questions correctly.

Thanks for the offer of the Spiel '22 tile, but I already have 1, so it can go to one of the other participants.  :D

I do have 1 question regarding question #24: is the majority of meeples in the vicinity of the Darmstadt church always decided at the beginning of scoring? Because I thought red could choose the order of scoring as active player, and thought it would be more interesting to score it as the last feature because the blue meeples in its vicinity would already be gone, thus earning the red player the 3-point bonus.

However, even if that's the case I would still have the last question wrong. Thought the inn on the Spiel 22 tile was only counted if Expansion 1 is also in play. My bad!  :P

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 06, 2023, 09:25:40 AM »
I just analysed more in depths my answer and the correct answer to question 24 and now I also have the exact same question as KBellon  :D

Offline 6ruoge4

• Labourer
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 07, 2023, 02:47:28 PM »
thanks again to @Meepledrone for the Advent Quiz which forces us into a useful exercise even with the least played expansions, at least for me.
Congratulations to the winners too.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 08, 2023, 10:30:04 AM »
I do have 1 question regarding question #24: is the majority of meeples in the vicinity of the Darmstadt church always decided at the beginning of scoring? Because I thought red could choose the order of scoring as active player, and thought it would be more interesting to score it as the last feature because the blue meeples in its vicinity would already be gone, thus earning the red player the 3-point bonus.

I just analysed more in depths my answer and the correct answer to question 24 and now I also have the exact same question as KBellon  :D

There is no clarification that establishes when the majority should be calculated for the Darmstadt church bonus, but for the sake of consistency, it should happen before any feature is scored and their meeples removed. This way, no matter the order of scoring, the outcome will be the same.

This is based on the non-written principle of coherence and stability of the scoring process: no matter the order of scoring, the results should be same. This is obvious in the base game, but can this be the same when adding more and more expansions that affect the scoring sequence? Let me elaborate...

WARNING: This is a long digression about the scoring process but I think it may be interesting to discuss. Some of this ideas are important for a more general Order of Play.

The rules of Carcassonne are not very explicit about how the scoring sequence should be conducted. Players will follow an arbitrary sequence when multiple scorings are triggered by a single tile placement. But determining this sequence may be conditioned by certain expansions. Not all sequences may be valid, or some of them may produce inconsistent outcomes. And there is no arbitration role defined for the scoring sequence in case of conflict or any clarification to help resolve this (only the Barber-Surgeons attribute this role to the active player when deciding what meeples are sent to bathhouses if the decision may involve several players).

To make things worse, some expansions state that each player will score their features in their preferred order to meet certain conditions (maximazing their own gain and/or minimazing the gain of their opponents).

There are many expansions that add new constraints or dependencies to the usual scoring process but not all race conditions or side effectes are clarified:
A) The Watchtowers: A watchower bonus must be scored before the associated feature as per the rules, but watchtowers scoring for meeples may depend on unrelated features completed by the same tile placement.
B) The Toolkeepers: Tollhouses should be scored before the associated completed roads.
C) Castles triggered by multiple features or even other castles define a series of dependencies to be considered during the scoring sequence.
D) Mini #2 - The Messengers: This expansion instructs players to choose the order of scoring of their features and the scoring figue to use in order to receive messages. This expansion may be combined with Mini #6, increasing the decision factors.
E) Mini #6 - The Robbers: This expansion instructs players to choose the order of scoring of their features to control what points may be robbed by other players. This expansion may be combined with Mini #2, increasing the decision factors.
F) Darmstadt Promo: Completed Darmstadt churches grant a bonus to the players with the majority in their vicinity. This may involve meeples on other features completed by the same tile placement.
G) The School: Players may decide the order of their scorings to control what points may receive the player with the Teacher.
H) The Barber-Surgeons: The active player may decide the order of scoring in order to send one or more meeples to free bathhouses.
I) Exp. 10 - Under the Big Top: All features are scored and their meeples removed before the big top is scored.
J) Exp. 6 - Count, King & Robber: Players may deploy meeples from Cacassonne to completed features
K) Markets of Leipzig: Players may send meeples to Leipzig, affecting the scoring of roads sending meeples and the features associated with various districts in the city.

Therefore, a complex scenario may combine implicit contraints dictated by meeples redeployments (J, K), feature dependencies (A, B, C, F, I), decisions made by the owner of the features (D, E, G), and decisions made by the active player (H). If you followed an arbitrary sequence: pick a feature - score - remove meeple - repeat, you may find several issues:
- Scoring castles before some features triggering them (C)
- Side effects caused by meeples added and removed in different orders: sending meeples to Leipzig (K), deploying meeples from Carcassonne (J), watchtowers scoring for meeples (A), Darmstadt churches (F), big top scoring (I)...

Getting all this to work together may drive someone nuts. We should pursue a scoring process where all the different contraints can be combined freely and reach a consistent result: No side effects when scoring features as in the base game, while in full control of any constraints to be consider or any actions triggered.

We always try to resolve all this with one single loop. However, this may no work in complex cases. I always envision the scoring process as several loops back to back in the most complex scenarios:
1. Detecting the completed features and other features to be scored
    - Small cities converted into castles do not participate in the scoring
2. Sending meeples to Leipzig
    - Determining the majority in the roads connected to Leipzig
    - Redeploying meeples from selected roads to Leipzig
3. Redeploying meeples from Carcassonne to features to be scored
4. Evaluating features (calculate points only)
   - Evaluating the majority for all features (some may have been affected by actions in 2 and 3)
   - Determining the sequence of evaluation due to dependencies (watchtowers, tollhouses, triggered castles...)
   - Calculating the points each bonus and feature is worth (the points evaluation as a sequence of scoring events to be noted by each player)
5. Noting the points on the scoreboard (the actual scoring loop)
    - Each player notes their scoring events according to their preferred sequence:
    - Each player uses the scoring figure of their preference to note their points (one, or two if playing with Mini #2 - The Messengers)
    - Robbers steal points according to the scorings performed (if playing with Mini #6 - The Robbers)
6. Sending meeples to bathhouses (with the arebitration of the active player if needed)
7. Wagons are moved and the remaining meeples invoved in the scoring are removed
8. Distributing gold ingots
9. Flipping over tollhouse tokens as needed
10. Scoring of the big top.
      - Robbers steal points according to the scorings performed (if playing with Mini #6 - The Robbers)
11. Receiving messages by the active player according to the last position of their scoring figures moved during this turn.
12. Sending meeples to Carcassonne

Note the following:
- Loop 4 (Evaluation) determines the majority to be considered in each scoring (including the Darmstadt bonus) using a frozen snapshot of the gam. No points are noted on the scoreboard, no meeples are removed. It also handles the sequence required for calculating points (constraints defined by feature dependencies A, B, C, and F).
- Loop 5 (Points noting) handles the decisions made by feature owners (D, E, G). The separation between Loops 4 and 5 decouples mandatory feature-contraints from player-driven decisions, avoiding race conditions and making the outcome consistent.

In simpler cases, most of these loops, if not all, can be merged into one. Only when race conditions may impact the scoring process, you may need to split the scoring loop into stages.

This way you may control situations where one meeple may affect multiple scorings (e.g. the Darmstadt church bonus or a watchtower scoring for meeples). The scoring process should rely on a snapshot of the game configuration and run away from any volatility that would require negotiations or arbitrations between the players beyond those detailed in the rules.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 09, 2023, 01:18:33 PM »
We will finish by calling you Doctor Meepledrone  >:D

I agree with what you say: (this is a resumee for all those who did not read Dr Meepledrones thesis)

--> take the situation at the beginning of final scoring and THAT is relevant for final scoring. The order of scoring is not.

Thanks for clarifiying!!  :D

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 09, 2023, 02:37:51 PM »
Ha ha ha! Sorry for the long long post...

--> take the situation at the beginning of final scoring and THAT is relevant for final scoring. The order of scoring is not.

The order of scoring is not what?

I think somthing is missing here...

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 09, 2023, 02:40:02 PM »
relevant

The order of scoring is not relevant  :D

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 09, 2023, 03:23:45 PM »
Today was a normal day... My first day back to work after the Christmas break... :'(

"Ding dong!" the door bell rang at lunch time... The baker's husband, stading before me, hands me a "Roscón de Reyes" cake and an envelope... No explanation given. I stare back at him:
- What's this?
- Ahhhh... I'm not at the liberty to say.
- What the heck?
- Gotta go. Byeeee!
- Thanks...! Er....

What was all this about? I knew @Challa007 was up to something, but this? I opened the envelope...

No way! My wife and I cannot believe our eyes. We have a mission! But we will have to wait until the evening to get ours hands on this promising "roscón". Back to work again now...  :'(

A few hours later, the Meeple Council wants to know what the "roscón" looks like... I start to unwrap it.

A fluffy cake filled with whipped cream. The dough scented with orange blossom water. Candied fruit on top. All sprinkled with sugar... A full meal in every bite. We all get excited and impatient...

I cut the couple of slices...  My wife begs for a smaller one.

But oooops! Her slice contains the prize hidden in the cake, as the tradition dictates. We unwrap it and another surprise: A yellow meeple!!!!

The yellow meeple joins the Meeple Council and they all watch me eat my glorious slice!!! My wife stares at me...

It's delicious and we go round after round of slices trying to control ourselves... The Meeple Council commands us to stop when they see we have eaten half the cake.... Unbelievable! Tomorrow's breakfast will be our next stop...

Thank you so much guys for this wonderful surprise. @Challa007 , your scheming and plotting won't go unnoticed! The Grinch will take advantage of it... No doubt!

You made my day! My wife was as excited as I was.... Thank you so much from the bottom of our hearts!!!

Best wishes to you all in 2023!!!

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 09, 2023, 03:59:52 PM »
PS: The string tied around the paper wrap can become a game too...

Cat's Cradle...

« Last Edit: January 09, 2023, 04:06:34 PM by Meepledrone »

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 09, 2023, 04:14:03 PM »
Thank you to you, Meepledrone for all the work and dedication you put not only in the Advent Quizz but also in this community!!!
We needed to show you how much we appreciate it!!!!

Enjoy the cake !!
( not much left though…  ;))

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #266 on: January 10, 2023, 03:17:55 AM »
:D
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #267 on: January 10, 2023, 04:50:12 AM »
Glad you got it and enjoyed it!

And thanks Challa007 for organizing all this  :yellow-meeple:

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 11, 2023, 02:18:00 AM »
The morning was cloudy and quiet... I was just enjoying a break from work with two ideas in my mind:
* Have one or more nice slices of "roscón" cake. ^-^
* Checking the post about a tile tower built with LEGO by Scott :o

To my surprise, my second slice contained another prize.... A blue meeple. The yellow meeple has a friend. Yaaaay!  :blue-meeple: :yellow-meeple:

The day is getting crazier by the minute!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 11, 2023, 02:28:29 AM »
And this is the cake remaining for tea time... ^-^

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXXII coming soon...

Started by Meepledrone

7 Replies
Last post November 14, 2022, 01:44:55 AM
by Challa007
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXXI

Started by Meepledrone

223 Replies
Last post April 11, 2022, 02:20:34 PM
by Bumsakalaka
xx
Carcassonne Central: Advent Quiz MMXXIII