Author Topic: Mists over Carcassonne  (Read 33496 times)

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
  • Merit: 34
  • Fight, Flight, Freeze ..... or Play :)
    • View Profile
Re: Mists over Carcassonne
« Reply #210 on: November 06, 2022, 05:12:45 AM »
... but an official clarification would be welcome.

I agree

Offline Doom_Shark

• Vassal
  • Merit: 3
  • I swear I have a life...just not right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 06, 2022, 10:29:31 AM »
... but an official clarification would be welcome.

@Meepledrone 's life in a nutshell

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 07, 2022, 08:43:00 AM »
Ha ha ha! ;D
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
« Reply #213 on: November 07, 2022, 12:34:05 PM »
Another rule question :

Level 3 rules says :
"As soon as the scoring meeple reaches or passes a space with a hound, the following happens:
You must immediately place Rufus. Add him to any non-buried meeple on the game board. You may then remove up to 3 ghosts each from any 2 different land tiles directly adjacent (orthogonally or diagonally) to him (including the tile you placed him on itself). Return these ghosts to the general supply as usual.
"

And the level summary says:
" If you reach a hound on the scoring track, you trigger the next pile of tiles and add the hound to a meeple on the board. Once the hound is fully surrounded, remove up to 3 ghosts from each of 2 tiles. "

Is there a mistake in the level summary on WICA?  :yellow-meeple:

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 07, 2022, 01:15:47 PM »
Another rule question :

Level 3 rules says :
"As soon as the scoring meeple reaches or passes a space with a hound, the following happens:
You must immediately place Rufus. Add him to any non-buried meeple on the game board. You may then remove up to 3 ghosts each from any 2 different land tiles directly adjacent (orthogonally or diagonally) to him (including the tile you placed him on itself). Return these ghosts to the general supply as usual.
"

And the level summary says:
" If you reach a hound on the scoring track, you trigger the next pile of tiles and add the hound to a meeple on the board. Once the hound is fully surrounded, remove up to 3 ghosts from each of 2 tiles. "

Is there a mistake in the level summary on WICA?  :yellow-meeple:

You are right, there is a mistake, this is not the correct translation from the German rules. Correct translation is:

" If you reach a hound on the scoring track, you trigger the next pile of tiles and add the hound to a meeple on the board. In the surroundings of the hound remove immediately up to 3 ghosts each from up to 2 tiles. "

What is meant is that you can theoretically remove 6 ghosts (from 2 tiles with 3 ghosts each) in the cloisterzone of the hound.

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 07, 2022, 09:23:55 PM »
The level 3 rules is correct then (up to 3 ghosts each from 2 tiles), but the level summary rules is false, since it says that this action is triggered once the hound is fully surrounded  ???

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 07, 2022, 09:40:43 PM »
Yes, this needs to be corrected in the WICA, it’s a major mistake

-> Mists over Carcassonne -> Summary of all levels -> 3b Hounds

Should read:

If you reach a hound on the scoring track, you trigger the next pile of tiles and add the hound to a meeple on the board. In the surroundings of the hound remove immediately up to 3 ghosts each from up to 2 tiles.

Who can do this?

[/quote]

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 08, 2022, 08:22:56 AM »
Hi @Meepledrone ,
concerning Mists over Carcassonne (standalone game) I have now made a little summary for you - as promised - with all the questions asked in various channels (here, Discord and even the German CarcF forum) so far.
You can decide for yourself which of those are worth putting in the WICA to help other players. Feel free to adapt the text if necessary.

For some of the questions, clarification from HIG is needed.

Please also note my previous post concerning an important correction needed in the WICA.

So here comes the summary:

Question 1 (start tile)
A: does the start tile count as 1 tile when we want to eliminate ghosts instead of counting points?
B: For expansion 11, they consider it as 4 tiles when scoring castles, which take into account tiles with mist.
•  https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6092.msg88088#msg88088
Clarification of rules (Ghosts, Castles & Cemeteries) - with HiG - ...
Clarification of rules (Ghosts, Castles & Cemeteries) - with HiG - 27 09 2022 in Official Rules - Page 1
It would be odd if for removing ghosts they tell you otherwise

Question 2 (Completion of mist area)
A: if we place a tile which completes a mist area, do we have to pace ghosts first and immediately eliminate them afterwards ? The rule says only place ghosts if the mist area is not completed, so it should be « no », but we were unsure and wanted to know how you understand this rule…
B: The sequence described in the rules would be:
1a. Place tile which completes a mist bank.
1b. Remove all the ghosts from the completed mist bank.
2a. Since the mist bank is completed, you do not add any ghost to it
2b. Place a meeple as usual if desired and possible
3. Score any completed features or remove ghosts
A: ok so then no ghost is placed and no ghost needs to be placed in a cemetery either…
B: yes

Question 3 (Elimination of ghosts)
A)    When scoring and given the choice to eliminate up to 3 ghosts from one tile , does this include cemetery tiles? (meaning: can I eliminate ghosts from cemetery tiles?)
B)   Yes

Question 4 (solo game / game with 2 players – more than one colour):
A: Game with 2 players: it is a little bit annoying to play with two colours, they could just have put more meeples for each colour...
B: I think it is a strategic decision to have so many colors. It allows you to better score one road or city twice/three times. And you need points fast …And if two players have 4 Colours it’s easier
A: in that way you can do it? this move is based not on players but on meeple colours?
B: It’s like in the standard Carcassonne play where you try to get into the city of another player… if there are 4 meeples with different Color in the city we score 4 times!

Question 5: ( solo game / game with 2 players - color sequence?)
A)
Solo play: can I choose any of the 4 colors at each turn?
Play with 2 players: Can each player chose any of their 2 colors at their turn?
Or is there a sequence for the colors (like if you play with 4 players)?
B)
The rules are incomplete about this and need to be clarified with HiG... Without any clarification, I'd guess there's no colour sequence during turn (it's understandable that there's no clarification about this if there's no specific colour sequence rule to observe, but if there was a colour sequence to observe, it wouldn't be understandable to forget it in the rules...)

Question 6a (Hounds)
A) Two questions about level 3 to 6. The rules states that when assigning a hound to a meeple, you cannot assign it to a burried meeple. What if there's no meeple on board? Or only burried meeples?
B) The rules do not specify what to do -  I would say in that case you cannot place the hound. It is lost. (Needs official clarification)
Question 6b (Hounds)
A) Then, once a hound has been assigned to a meeple, the rules states that "A hound stays with the meeple you added them to until that meeple is scored." What happens with the hound if the meeple it is assigned to has to be burried?
B) This is in the rules (section cemeteries): you take the hound off the game. Again, it is lost.
A)   Concerning 6a and 6b:
Thanks for your answer. Since the rules states that you take the hound off when you burry the meeple it is assigned to, then I'd agree that it is also lost if there no meeple to assign it to, but an official clarification would be welcome.

Question 7  (level 6):

A: Special case: When a single tile triggers scoring more than once, the active player decides what happens for each scoring separately.
So the active player can take the points of another player to remove Ghosts?
B: Points are shared in Levels 1 thru 5
A: But the rule isn't redefined for Level 6?
B: In Level 6, each player scores separately, but win or lose together, so it's in the active player's interest to get everyone to the goal token. Also, the hound tokens don't activate until all players pass them.
A: Right, odd that the active player gets to choose though
B: Someone has to make a decision in case there is disagreement
A: There can't be a disagreement, the rules say the active player chooses
B: It's a cooperative game, so the players discuss things but someone must choose

Question 8 ( level 6 – Hound Scoring) - CarcF
A)   What happens in a Hound Scoring?... who gets the points per ghost ?.... In the levels before it was no problem because there is only 1 scoring meeple. What now ? The manual does not give anything.
B)   This needs to be clarified with HiG. Consens between the players is that the color of the meeple to which the hound had been placed gets the points

Question 9 (level 6 – 2 players) - CarcF

A)   Suppose I play red. My opponent with blue. Did I understand correctly that the red and blue meeple come on the scoreboard and all other colored meeple remain for us for the game (e.g. with me all except red) and my partner all except blue? For me this is not clear from the rule description. Thanks in advance.
B)   Rules are unclear. Needs to be clarified with HiG  (note from Challa007: PresetM has given his interpretation of the rules there but I am not sure I agree with him)

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 09, 2022, 03:56:08 AM »
Yes, this needs to be corrected in the WICA, it’s a major mistake

-> Mists over Carcassonne -> Summary of all levels -> 3b Hounds

Should read:

If you reach a hound on the scoring track, you trigger the next pile of tiles and add the hound to a meeple on the board. In the surroundings of the hound remove immediately up to 3 ghosts each from up to 2 tiles.

Who can do this?

I updated the rules... It's amazing the number of mistakes and typos included in the rules by ZMG.  :(

Here you can see the update:
https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Mists_over_Carcassonne#3b._Hounds

Thank you so much for your help!

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 12, 2022, 05:09:57 AM »
I was lucky to be able to go to the Spielwiesn in Munich today and ask rule questions to the HiG staff, so here my updated questions:

Question 1 (start tile)
A: does the start tile count as 1 tile when we want to eliminate ghosts instead of counting points?
B: For expansion 11, they consider it as 4 tiles when scoring castles, which take into account tiles with mist.
•  https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6092.msg88088#msg88088
Clarification of rules (Ghosts, Castles & Cemeteries) - with HiG - ...
Clarification of rules (Ghosts, Castles & Cemeteries) - with HiG - 27 09 2022 in Official Rules - Page 1
It would be odd if for removing ghosts they tell you otherwise

HIG confirmation (Brigitte Fuchs, Nov 12th 2022 at Spielwiesn in Munich):
the start tile counts as 4 tiles

Question 2 (Completion of mist area)
A: if we place a tile which completes a mist area, do we have to pace ghosts first and immediately eliminate them afterwards ? The rule says only place ghosts if the mist area is not completed, so it should be « no », but we were unsure and wanted to know how you understand this rule…
B: The sequence described in the rules would be:
1a. Place tile which completes a mist bank.
1b. Remove all the ghosts from the completed mist bank.
2a. Since the mist bank is completed, you do not add any ghost to it
2b. Place a meeple as usual if desired and possible
3. Score any completed features or remove ghosts
A: ok so then no ghost is placed and no ghost needs to be placed in a cemetery either…
B: yes

when you complete a mist area, you do not need to place ghosts, you eliminate all ghosts

Question 3 (Elimination of ghosts)
A)    When scoring and given the choice to eliminate up to 3 ghosts from one tile , does this include cemetery tiles? (meaning: can I eliminate ghosts from cemetery tiles?)
B)   Yes

I did not ask because this was clear anyway.

Question 4 (solo game / game with 2 players – more than one colour):
A: Game with 2 players: it is a little bit annoying to play with two colours, they could just have put more meeples for each colour...
B: I think it is a strategic decision to have so many colors. It allows you to better score one road or city twice/three times. And you need points fast …And if two players have 4 Colours it’s easier
A: in that way you can do it? this move is based not on players but on meeple colours?
B: It’s like in the standard Carcassonne play where you try to get into the city of another player… if there are 4 meeples with different Color in the city we score 4 times!

Nothing to ask here

Question 5: ( solo game / game with 2 players - color sequence?)
A)
Solo play: can I choose any of the 4 colors at each turn?
Play with 2 players: Can each player chose any of their 2 colors at their turn?
Or is there a sequence for the colors (like if you play with 4 players)?
B)
The rules are incomplete about this and need to be clarified with HiG... Without any clarification, I'd guess there's no colour sequence during turn (it's understandable that there's no clarification about this if there's no specific colour sequence rule to observe, but if there was a colour sequence to observe, it wouldn't be understandable to forget it in the rules...)

The solo player can chose any of the 4 colors at each turn, as well as the player in a 2 player game can chose any of the 2 colors at each turn

Question 6a (Hounds)
A) The rules states that when assigning a hound to a meeple, you cannot assign it to a burried meeple. What if there's no meeple on board? Or only burried meeples?
B) The rules do not specify what to do -  I would say in that case you cannot place the hound. It is lost. (Needs official clarification)

When there are no meeples or only buried meeples in the game, the hound is lost, you cannot place it

Question 6b (Hounds)
A) Once a hound has been assigned to a meeple, the rules states that "A hound stays with the meeple you added them to until that meeple is scored." What happens with the hound if the meeple it is assigned to has to be burried?
B) This is in the rules (section cemeteries): you take the hound off the game. Again, it is lost.

Nothing to ask

Question 7  (level 6):
A: Special case: When a single tile triggers scoring more than once, the active player decides what happens for each scoring separately.
So the active player can take the points of another player to remove Ghosts?
B: Points are shared in Levels 1 thru 5
A: But the rule isn't redefined for Level 6?
B: In Level 6, each player scores separately, but win or lose together, so it's in the active player's interest to get everyone to the goal token. Also, the hound tokens don't activate until all players pass them.
A: Right, odd that the active player gets to choose though
B: Someone has to make a decision in case there is disagreement
A: There can't be a disagreement, the rules say the active player chooses
B: It's a cooperative game, so the players discuss things but someone must choose

Nothing to ask

Question 8 ( level 6 – Hound Scoring) - CarcF
A)   What happens in a Hound Scoring?... who gets the points per ghost ?.... In the levels before it was no problem because there is only 1 scoring meeple. What now ? The manual does not give anything.
B)   This needs to be clarified with HiG. Consens between the players is that the color of the meeple to which the hound had been placed gets the points

When scoring the hound, the color of the meeple to which the hound had been placed gets the points

Note by Meepledrone:
The redefinition of the rules for Level 6 provided by HiG in 3/2023 has rendered the following clarification obsolete

Question 9 (level 6 – 2 players) - CarcF
A)   Suppose I play red. My opponent with blue. Did I understand correctly that the red and blue meeple come on the scoreboard and all other colored meeple remain for us for the game (e.g. with me all except red) and my partner all except blue? For me this is not clear from the rule description. Thanks in advance.
B)   Rules are unclear. Needs to be clarified with HiG  (note from Challa007: PresetM has given his interpretation of the rules there but I am not sure I agree with him)

HIG clarification (Brigitte Fuchs, Nov 12th 2022 at Spielwiesn in Munich):
Solo play:
the player choses 4 colors and takes 3 meeple per color from the box (these are the meeples to play with – 12 in total)
Then the player takes 1 meeple per color from the box and places them on the scoring board (4 meeples).
During the game the points are scored per color! And each of the 4 color scoring meeples on the scoreboard have to reach the hound to activate it, i.e. only when the last color has reached the hound, it is activated.

Play with 2 players:
each player choses 2 colors and takes 3 meeple per color from the box (these are the meeples to play with – 12 in total for both players)
Then the player takes 1 meeple per color from the box and places them on the scoring board (4 meeples in total for both players).
During the game the points are scored per color! And each of the 4 color scoring meeples on the scoreboard have to reach the hound to activate it, i.e. only when the last color has reached the hound, it is activated.

----------------
Additional clarification by Brigitte Fuchs concerning level 6 – game with 3-5 players:
Each player places one of their own meeples on the scoreboard, i.e. the player only have 4 meeples to play with

« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 08:44:51 AM by Meepledrone »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 13, 2022, 09:31:06 AM »
Great clarifications!!!

+1 merit from me

They will be soon on WICA too. ;D

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 13, 2022, 11:20:04 AM »
Great clarifications!!!

+1 merit from me

They will be soon on WICA too. ;D

Thanks!
With the clarifications we now managed level 5 (we tried two times and won two times)  :)

Soon we will tackle level 6. From the feedback I have heard, it seems to be nearly un-doable  (if that is even a word in English ;) )

So here the fans need to invent levels   5.1    5.2    5.3    5.4    etc  ;)

Offline JT Atomico

• Marquis
  • Merit: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 14, 2022, 12:01:15 AM »
Soon we will tackle level 6. From the feedback I have heard, it seems to be nearly un-doable

I'm glad others are saying this! I've tried Level 6 a lot of times playing solo and have never even made it to the second Hound!

Offline Challa007

• Viscount
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 14, 2022, 01:27:58 AM »
Soon we will tackle level 6. From the feedback I have heard, it seems to be nearly un-doable

I'm glad others are saying this! I've tried Level 6 a lot of times playing solo and have never even made it to the second Hound!

Need a challenge???
Try this:
Level 3 or 4 (try level 3 first):
When given the choice to choose between scoring or taking off up to 3 ghosts from 1 tile, you CANNOT take off ghosts from a cemetary tile. Means you need to close cemetaries very very quickly  >:D

(This is level 3.1 and 4.1  ;) )
« Last Edit: November 14, 2022, 01:48:45 AM by Challa007 »

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 14, 2022, 04:42:30 AM »
That's what we did, thinking we could remove ghosts only from mist, not from cemeteries...
And when adding ghosts to the board, we thought we had to place supplementary ghosts to each open cemeteries  >:D

That was difficult, but we managed level 4 on the 3rd try (2 players) :yellow-meeple:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Helpful checklists for Mists over Carcassonne (standalone game)

Started by Challa007

23 Replies
Last post September 22, 2023, 10:37:47 AM
by Challa007
clip
Ideas for additional levels for Mists over Carcassonne

Started by Buselaar

6 Replies
Last post April 05, 2023, 11:28:54 PM
by Challa007
xx
First Mists Over Carcassonne Session Reports

Started by Whaleyland

10 Replies
Last post January 10, 2023, 06:05:18 AM
by Challa007
cheesy
The Barbarian Report: The Cathars' Revenge (Mists Over Carcassonne)

Started by Whaleyland

5 Replies
Last post January 31, 2023, 03:30:38 PM
by Whaleyland
xx
Clarifications of rules (Mists over Carcassonne) - with HiG - 12 11 2022

Started by Meepledrone

0 Replies
Last post November 15, 2022, 10:31:20 AM
by Meepledrone