Poll

How do you primarily use Equipment?

I prefer to BLAST my way through contentious battles by drawing on luck, not the Force.
I prefer to DUEL my way through contentious battles by trusting in the Force!
I try to balance my skills with the SABER and the BLASTER, without any preference for one or the other.
I use it in some other creatively strategic manner (describe below).
I don't ever play with or don't own Star Wars Carcassonne – Expansion 1.

Author Topic: Element of the Week #57 – Equipment (from Star Wars)  (Read 2438 times)

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
Element of the Week #57 – Equipment (from Star Wars)
« on: April 22, 2017, 03:08:32 PM »
ELEMENT OF THE WEEK: EQUIPMENT (from Star Wars Carcassonne)

Each week, a specific element from an expansion or spin-off is chosen for deeper discussion. This is an opportunity for you, Carcassonne's biggest English-language fans, to discuss strategies and problems you have encountered through the years regarding specific expansion elements. All forms of critique – from the most joyous to the most scathing – are encouraged.

This week's element is EQUIPMENT (from Star Wars Carcassonne: Expansion 1). When news of a special Star Wars edition of Carcassonne released in 2015, everybody was rather shocked and most assumed that it was a one-and-done short run product. A few months later, though, word leaked of an uncreatively-named "Expansion 1", which not only meant that the spin-off still had life in it, but implicitly meant an "Expansion 2" would come at some point in the (still yet-to-be-announced) future.

The main new concept introduced in this expansion is Equipment, i.e., a Blaster and a Lightsaber, elements that, while technically separate, are really two slices from the same pie. Each player receives one of each at the start of the game. When a player places a meeple, they may also give it one piece of Equipment (and only one). The lightsaber is the simpler concept – whenever a meeple with a lightsaber is in a battle, they add +1 to their highest die roll. Let us say it gives the player the high ground.  >:D Meanwhile, the blaster is a bit more of a wildcard. A meeple with a blaster will roll a special yellow die for one of their dice rather than the usual die when battling. This custom die begins at 3 and goes up to 8, so the average number sits at 5/6 rather than the usual 3/4. It is meant to give you a slight edge, but not so much that you are guaranteed a win. Basically, you can still shoot like a stormtrooper or with the precision of Obi-Wan Kenobi. If you somehow manage to merge your features together and both a blaster and lightsaber are on the same feature, the equipment stacks and players can achieve total die rolls of up to 9! It is a veritable Death Star of power!

Obviously, this mechanic can really change up games, but it can also be easily countered by opponents strategically using the same tactics. But since combat is a key aspect of the Star Wars game, this will definitely change things up. The fact that the term used is "Equipment" suggests that the mechanic may be (and probably should be) used again in future expansions, with other creative weapons and tools to modify aspects of the game. Who knows!?

Discuss your relationship with Equipment, as well as your strategies for taking advantage of this element.

Next Week's Topic: The Watchtowers       :-\    :-X    ???

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3271.0

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
Re: Element of the Week #57 – Equipment (from Star Wars)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 12:43:16 PM »
I have the Star Wars Carcassonne, and I like the differences in it compared to the regular Carcassonne.
I haven't got the Expansion, but am on the verge of buying this, partly because I'm interested in it and want to try it, and party because of the completionist in me.
I'll look forward to trying this expansion when I finally get it in!
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
Re: Element of the Week #57 – Equipment (from Star Wars)
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 06:41:08 AM »
Having bought the expansion recently and after playing it a few times, i can make up my opinion!
I like this expansion. It pushes people more towards the battling aspect of this game, rather than everyone just playing their own game.
Especially planets are worth a lot of points (11 each!), so battling for them is promoted!
I prefer the Blaster, as this gives you a higher chance of a high number (at least, thats what it feels like).
I think we will be adding this expansion to our Star Wars Carcassonne Games!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
EBay auction - Star Wars

Started by Rosco

0 Replies
Last post December 16, 2015, 02:10:32 PM
by Rosco
xx
For Sale: Carcassonne Star Wars

Started by danisthirty

1 Replies
Last post February 28, 2024, 07:23:58 AM