Author Topic: Another Bridge Question  (Read 1051 times)

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
Another Bridge Question
« on: December 26, 2021, 06:02:02 AM »
I was surprised to learn from the answer to @PapaGeek's recent question about Bridges that we have not been following the official rules: we allow multiple bridges to be placed on a single turn!

It made me wonder another thing we allow is also illegal.  We allow a player to place a bridge when there is no adjacent tile connecting to either end of the bridge.  For example, after placing the monastery as shown below, may Yellow place the bridge?

We don't restrict a player's ability to make a placement like this, although in this case the play is tactically justified.  (Yellow is worried that Red or Black would place a field edge to create a CRFF hole that would make the Cathedral City permanently incomplete.  With the bridge Yellow just needs to draw one of several remaining CRFR tiles to complete the Cathedral city and connect to the Inn road segment.)  Our usual ethic is to do this to prevent a permanent hole, but our rules don't stop you from doing it to create such a hole.

So, the question is: may a bridge only be placed when necessary to ensure compatibility with a previously placed adjacent tile?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5633.0
« Last Edit: February 13, 2024, 10:22:29 AM by kothmann »

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
Re: Another Bridge Question
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 06:40:11 AM »
So in short; yes, yellow can place that bridge in that example.
It can be placed not connecting to any other roads, but will need to be treated as a road in subsequent turns.

It can be a great way to try and block people, but equally they might be able to use a bridge to fill a gap
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
  • Merit: 33
  • I mix expansions at my own risk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 07:31:05 AM »
Which is the doubt? I don’t understand…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mix expansions at my own risk.

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 07:32:57 AM »
I was surprised to learn from the answer to @Papageek's recent question about Bridges that we have not been following the official rules: we allow multiple bridges to be placed on a single turn!

It made me wonder another thing we allow is also illegal.  We allow a player to place a bridge when there is no adjacent tile connecting to either end of the bridge.  For example, after placing the monastery as shown below, may Yellow place the bridge?

We don't restrict a player's ability to make a placement like this, although in this case the play is tactically justified.  (Yellow is worried that Red or Black would place a field edge to create a CRFF hole that would make the Cathedral City permanently incomplete.  With the bridge Yellow just needs to draw one of several remaining CRFR tiles to complete the Cathedral city and connect to the Inn road segment.)  Our usual ethic is to do this to prevent a permanent hole, but our rules don't stop you from doing it to create such a hole.

So, the question is: may a bridge only be placed when necessary to ensure compatibility with a previously placed adjacent tile?
Why do you arrive to this conclusion? emoji code3166]

Offline DrMeeple

• Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 07:34:12 AM »
It can be placed not connecting to any other roads, but will need to be treated as a road in subsequent turns.

It can be a great way to try and block people, but equally they might be able to use a bridge to fill a gap
Of course! I don’t know why the doubt…

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 08:19:37 AM »
There is no restriction in the rules not to be allowed to do so. You add an extra road to the tile to make the hole fillable.

You may have added the bridge on this adjacent tile to the hole if you placed a CRFR tile in it, but you would not have the same opportunities for a valid placement (tile + bridge on adjacent tile) if someone would place another XFXX tile adjacent to the tile where the bridge should be placed.

So, all in all, it is a good preventive measure.
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Online NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 08:46:49 AM »

Of course! I don’t know why the doubt…

Maybe due to "You can place a tile so that a road ends against a field, but you must place a bridge that continues the road on that same turn.".
I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 45,600+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Is this bridge placement legal? (+ another question about castles and fields)

Started by ac1982

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2022, 11:23:56 PM
by Meepledrone
clip
B, C and B - rules question for Bridge placement

Started by JaelynRae

3 Replies
Last post November 26, 2014, 04:42:56 AM
by JaelynRae
xx
Another question for Towers and Barns