Author Topic: Scoring joined barn fields  (Read 1073 times)

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • The box needs a highly addictive warning label
    • View Profile
Scoring joined barn fields
« on: October 22, 2021, 02:51:37 PM »

I have a question about scoring fields that are joined to a barn field.  I hope my image is displayed here!  This is an image of just one small section of a larger map. The barn-field on the left currently touches 6 completed cities.  The open field on the top right has 1 blue farmer and 1 red farmer and touches 4 completed cities (2 are the same as the barn cities). The open field on the bottom right has 1 red farmer and 1 red pig and touched 5 completed cities (1 is the same as a barn city).

OK, if any player draws a 4 field sided Monastery and decides to place it in the open space, it will join all 3 farms! As I understand the rules: the combined fields will now touch (6 + 4 – 2 + 5 – 1 = 12) completed cities.  The new combined field will be occupied by 1 blue farmer and 2 red farmers with 1 red pig.  Blue will score zero points. Red will score 24 points, 2 times 12 because of the pig, and the blue and red meeples and pig will be returned to their stacks.  Pink still own the barn-field which now touches 12 completed cities.

Blue gets zero because the Monastery made everything one large field.  Is this correct with current rules?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5515.0
Totally addicted to this game

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Scoring joined barn fields
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2021, 03:10:12 PM »
I took the liberty of uploading your image to IMGUR so it could be visible and help the discussion:

Yes, it is correct.

Red has the majority and scores 2 points per completed city due to the pig. Blue scores nothing and the field with 12 completed cities will now be occupied by the pink barn only, entitled to 48 points (12 cities x 4 points/completed city), if not more, at the end of the game. ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 03:29:36 PM by Meepledrone »
Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2021, 06:43:14 PM »
Thank you, our weekly CAR group will be adding barns to our standard games very soon.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2021, 12:52:17 AM »
"Fun with barns!" Sounds great!  ;)

Offline PapaGeek

• Count
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2021, 10:25:03 AM »
Allow me to extend this question with two additional questions!

1. I think I know the answer to this question! Assuming that the placement of the Monastery in the previous example also created a 4 field junction where another barn could be placed, my assumption is that the barn could NOT be placed there because the pink barn is already on that field as soon as the tile is placed.

2. But, after placing the tile you are still in the place a meeple phase and the scoring phase has not happened yet. If you control the connected field, can you place your pig on the monastery tile so that you will score 2 point per city instead of only 1?

Online NGC 54

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • HiG must provide clarifications for all expansions
    • View Profile
    • WikiCarpedia user page
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2021, 12:25:12 PM »
Allow me to extend this question with two additional questions!

1. I think I know the answer to this question! Assuming that the placement of the Monastery in the previous example also created a 4 field junction where another barn could be placed, my assumption is that the barn could NOT be placed there because the pink barn is already on that field as soon as the tile is placed.

2. But, after placing the tile you are still in the place a meeple phase and the scoring phase has not happened yet. If you control the connected field, can you place your pig on the monastery tile so that you will score 2 point per city instead of only 1?

For 2. see https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Abbey_and_the_Mayor#Barn_2.
"You can place your pig on a tile that connects your farmer to a barn. After scoring your pig, return it to your supply."
I translate WikiCarpedia in Romanian (https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Main_Page/ro). I have 47,200+ edits at WICA. My WICA user page: https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/User:NGC_54. Romanian translation of WICA: https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Special:LanguageStats?language=ro&x=D#sortable:3=desc.

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2021, 02:08:16 PM »
Carcassonne93 pointed you in the right direction for question #2.

Regarding question #1, you are also right: barns cannot be placed in a field with one or more barns already. You can check the rules here:

https://wikicarpedia.com/index.php/Abbey_and_the_Mayor#2._Placing_a_barn

You may place your barn on a field already occupied by farmers. You may not, however, place your barn on a field already occupied by another barn.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
question
Scoring farm when connected to barn with castles

Started by Smooth

16 Replies
Last post May 15, 2015, 06:39:41 PM
by loki
xx
Saint Nicholas Scoring Board why not Santa Claus scoring board?

Started by Windekind

7 Replies
Last post December 06, 2019, 12:31:54 AM
by Murphy013
xx
Rules For Farms With Corn Fields

Started by ARabidMeerkat

3 Replies
Last post June 23, 2015, 11:18:32 AM
by kettlefish
xx
Is this bridge placement legal? (+ another question about castles and fields)

Started by ac1982

6 Replies
Last post May 01, 2022, 11:23:56 PM
by Meepledrone
clip
Fields separation in The Bets

Started by NGC 54

11 Replies
Last post June 27, 2023, 06:36:11 AM
by Bumsakalaka