Author Topic: Rule question about The Tower  (Read 10770 times)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
Rule question about The Tower
« on: November 21, 2013, 11:35:32 AM »
Hi all,

I just played with The Tower for the first time several days ago and enjoyed it. But there was one aspect that both players were a bit confused about. The situation was:

A tile had three towers on it and to prevent a fourth piece going on it (which would have eliminated an important meeple for her four tiles away), my opponent placed a meeple on top of the tower to close it. However, an adjacent tile was also a tower tile, so I was able to place a tower piece on it on my next turn to take the meeple she had just placed on top of the tower as my prisoner.

My question is: is the tower that just had a meeple removed from it still in play? Could I then put an extra tower piece on it to imprison the meeple she was originally trying to protect? Could this cat-and-mouse game continue, whereby she puts a meeple on top of the tower only for me to imprison it on my next turn, etc? Or does that tower, which was closed when she placed her meeple on it, remain closed even after the meeple itself was taken prisoner?

Thanks for your help!

Nick

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=527.0

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
Re: Rule question about The Tower
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 11:58:48 AM »
Great question!

Yes, the cat and mouse game can continue until you run out of tower sections or she runs out of followers. If you run out of tower sections she will have won in protecting her very important follower on the board. She will then have to work at getting her followers back by capturing yours at various points, or ransom them back for three points each.

@obervet - I would say there is a little gray area there - the CAR states that when "a follower is deployed to the top of a tower,177 the construction of the tower is finished and it may not be built any further."(page 62). There is no specific mention that it is reopened when the follower is removed from it. The reader may be lead to thinking that he must further identify the tower as "finished" even after the follower is removed - which I believe is the basis for jungleboy's question.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 12:12:54 PM by Carcking »
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 01:43:16 PM »
That was indeed the basis for my question, and thanks for the answer! But should I now infer from your edited reply that it's not certain one way or the other if the tower remains closed after the meeple on top of it is imprisoned?

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 07:40:34 PM »
My opinion would be that it is more certain that the tower is re-open for construction. It is impractical to "remember" which towers ever had a follower on top. True, this is not official so to that extent it can be said to be uncertain, but not in a practical sense.

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 06:21:05 AM »
An interesting question. I agree with you, Carcking, and I have added a footnote to the upcoming version of the CAR. There's not an "official" clarification, but the intent seems to be that the follower blocks placement of additional tower pieces, so if there's no follower there, building can continue. I suspect that the reason for the ambiguity is that there was no mention of removing followers from towers in the initial rules (and the initial RGG rules actually forbid it). When the part of the sentence allowing capture of followers on towers was added, the rule-makers never went back to clarify the first part of the sentence.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 01:49:37 PM »
Yes, agreed. Thanks obervet.

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 04:56:08 AM »
I had a short telephone call with Georg Wild - HiG - today:

If the follower has been captured from the top of a tower by another tower or has been eaten by the dragon - the tower is now without a follower on it and can be extend with more tower pieces.

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 05:13:32 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Kettlefish.

I'm looking forward to playing with the Tower again. What other expansions do people recommend combining with the Tower? It seems like using the Princess and the Dragon would create massive destruction and loss of meeples all over the board, which could be fun or it could be too much.

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 06:00:40 AM »
What other expansions do people recommend combining with the Tower?

I recommend "The Phantom". You have much more opportunities with this additional follower, such as: place a tower piece in other place and put a phantom on just placed tile in one turn, or place a tile, put a tower piece on it and put a phantom on top of the tower to prevent it's growing, protecting that way some important follower, also all in one turn.
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 06:19:46 AM »
What other expansions do people recommend combining with the Tower?

I recommend "The Phantom".

Thanks, but unfortunately I don't have the phantom yet. I should have added the other expansions I own, which are: I&C, T&B, A&M, KC&C, P&D, The Plague and The Cathars.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 06:25:00 AM by jungleboy, Reason: Added P&D. »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 04:00:59 AM »
 :))

I didn't even know one could take the follower sitting on top of a tower. Nice.

Albeit not a fan of the Tower expansion the tiles themselves I like. It's bizarre.
  My current expansion work, these tiles are now ruins, abandoned cities and entrances into dungeons instead to be used for the RPG aspect I'm trying to develope.

:meeple:
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline obervet

• Authors
  • Count
  • Merit: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 07:52:56 PM »
I had a short telephone call with Georg Wild - HiG - today:

If the follower has been captured from the top of a tower by another tower or has been eaten by the dragon - the tower is now without a follower on it and can be extend with more tower pieces.

Consider this added to the upcoming S-CAR v6.4.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Tower - Rule book from ZMG has not included the update from BigBox1

Started by kettlefish

2 Replies
Last post November 26, 2013, 07:05:25 AM
by obervet
xx
watchtowers question/rule clarification...

Started by robnhill

4 Replies
Last post February 01, 2017, 11:55:17 PM
by GeorG
xx
Builders and Traders rule question

Started by Jarle

5 Replies
Last post April 30, 2016, 09:25:26 AM
by Chuck
xx
City Council - rule question