Author Topic: That feeling when you find the hard to find  (Read 1430 times)

Offline DaFees

• Nobleman
  • Merit: 10
    • View Profile
That feeling when you find the hard to find
« on: February 08, 2021, 06:16:51 PM »
About 5 to 6 years ago I started collecting Carcassonne. It started with the base game and some of the expansions. From there I learned of the mini expansions and realized quickly they were becoming hard to find so I got lucky when I found local online store, Miniature Market was selling all 6. From there I eventually learned about Cundco and this forum.

In that time I missed out on the Big Box 5, the first 4 Spiel tiles and all the old mini expansions like the tunnels, the plague and all the other rare ones. I know that if I really wanted those things I could spend a pretty penny on eBay for them but I’ve had no real interest in paying the eBay premiums up to this point. Well over the weekend I lucked out when I found a user on BGG was auctioning off their copy of BB5 in really great condition. I tossed a bid in and then anxiously waited. In the end I finally got my hands on a copy of BB5 for $45 + shipping.

I am happy with the price I paid and I’ll be even happier when it arrives. This will finally get me the Wheel of Fortune and the River III.

So as to foster a little discussion / reminiscing feel free to share any stories of you getting your hands on something hard to find.  :yellow-meeple:

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=5047.0

Offline corinthiens13

• Baron
  • Merit: 48
    • View Profile
    • Divider cards for C1 & C2 / C3 both in French & English:
Re: That feeling when you find the hard to find
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 09:28:18 PM »
About 5 to 6 years ago I started collecting Carcassonne. It started with the base game and some of the expansions. From there I learned of the mini expansions and realized quickly they were becoming hard to find so I got lucky when I found local online store, Miniature Market was selling all 6. From there I eventually learned about Cundco and this forum.

In that time I missed out on the Big Box 5, the first 4 Spiel tiles and all the old mini expansions like the tunnels, the plague and all the other rare ones. I know that if I really wanted those things I could spend a pretty penny on eBay for them but I’ve had no real interest in paying the eBay premiums up to this point. Well over the weekend I lucked out when I found a user on BGG was auctioning off their copy of BB5 in really great condition. I tossed a bid in and then anxiously waited. In the end I finally got my hands on a copy of BB5 for $45 + shipping.

I am happy with the price I paid and I’ll be even happier when it arrives. This will finally get me the Wheel of Fortune and the River III.

So as to foster a little discussion / reminiscing feel free to share any stories of you getting your hands on something hard to find.  :yellow-meeple:

Nice story  ;)

I played Carcassonne a few years when I was a kid since it was released in 2001, then I forgot that game for some time.

I received BB5 for my birthday about 5 years ago, when it was available in store. I think it's the best big box, with so much unique tiles (WoF, base game with WoF icons, river III).

I then collected every official expansion, minis and promo tiles, CII when available, CI for those that haven't been released in CII. But for fome (plague, tunnel, spiel and Russian promo), I had to spend quite a price on Ebay or BGG...

Anyway, I'm so happy with this collection and all of the playing possibilities  :yellow-meeple:

Finally I made some custom inserts to make all of this collection fit into the BB5: http://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=495.msg72908#msg72908

Offline Carcassonne King

• Villein
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 09:40:33 PM »
I got a copy of Carcassonne the City around 10 years ago at Sci-Fi City.  At the time, I was interested in Carcassonne, but I was a little hesitant to buy into the main game because I was worried I might go expansion crazy (which is exactly what happened when I bought into the main game a couple years ago), so I thought a self-contained spin-off like the City would be much better.  The set I got was the coveted Wooden Box edition, which I did not realize was so highly sought after until many years later.  I don't play it as often as the base game, but it is very fun and many people seem to think it is one of the best spinoffs, ranked maybe just below Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers.

Online Weetek23

• Vassal
  • Merit: 0
  • Always ready of one more ... tile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 01:40:47 PM »
I started to play Carcassonne more frequently when me and my girlfriend  decided to live together. We spent some great Saturday afternoons over the tiles. It was around 2005 so several expansions were already around. I bought each I could get and added them to the game. At about The Tower my girlfriend who is not a collector mind at all started to be unhappy about too many new rules, too many boxes on the shelf and, as we were mostly playing just two, too long games. In the local board games shop I learnt about The Castle - a spin-off that would solve some of our troubles. Unfortunately, at that time the game was not available anymore in the Czech Republic. I visited every game shop I was aware of plus every online shop that had reasonable shipping fees but in vain. Then I found a box of The Castle in one of the shops in Prague just by chance. I was told it may have been the very last example in the whole country, arriving the same day from the Czech publisher after being found accidentally in the warehouse. At least so the story went. I cannot tell it was true but I grabbed the item without hesitation and my girlfriend loved it instantly! We spent some more great time with The Castle, neglecting the basic game since then, before putting boarding games aside as we were expecting a birth of our first son.

I nevertheless kept buying all big expansions I could get in the Czech Republic as well as the boxed miniexpansions of 2012 with hope that once our then two sons would grow up, they may be enjoying the game. Which indeed happened some time ago and now I am back in the game for more than a year, with my two sons (7 and 10) and from time to time also their mother, my girlfriend. Rules of heredity worked in favour of my collector mind so the boys much enjoy the expansions and miniexpansions. I quickly learnt how much I have missed in terms of the minis and their variants and we started to build up a decent collection with only few items missing to satisfy modest completionists (a spare copy of The Tunnels, anyone?). At this point, the old box with The Castle revealed one more treat. We of course had River II as a part of Count, King and Robber expansion. Quickly checking the current prices, I understood I would not buy the almost similiar River I. And then we once decided to play The Castle instead of the usual Carcassonne game and, to our excitement, we realized that the Czech edition (and probably many other editions as well) included also River I as a bonus together with some extra tiles for Hunters and Gatherers. A very welcome item in our collection indeed, and a totally unexpected one!

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 02:34:06 AM »
Congrats DaFees, It's a worthy box and seems like a good price too.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Query on hard to find sets/ exclusives

Started by tnewton6969

3 Replies
Last post October 14, 2021, 04:12:01 PM
by Meepledrone
xx
Completionist Poll #13 - Die Hard Edition

Started by Decar

20 Replies
Last post October 23, 2017, 06:36:57 AM
by Lord_Wishmaster
xx
You can't always get what you want...

Started by Danci

3 Replies
Last post January 11, 2017, 03:54:00 PM
by Danci
xx
Goldmines - can you claim gold bars on the same turn that you placed them?

Started by jungleboy

4 Replies
Last post September 18, 2015, 12:18:28 PM
by jungleboy
sad
Do you own expansions you never play yet still rush out to buy new ones?

Started by Gerry

27 Replies
Last post October 15, 2014, 10:47:05 PM
by henrysunset