Author Topic: How to "continue the landscape" in base game  (Read 7748 times)

Offline dsegel

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • Carpe diem!
    • View Profile
How to "continue the landscape" in base game
« on: February 02, 2017, 08:15:46 AM »
I cannot find this addressed anywhere.

I understand that you must match a road to a road section and a city to a city section.  However, can a green field be matched to a green field if there are no monasteries on them?

In the attachment can I join the top right tile to the top left tile?

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=3143.0

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
Re: How to "continue the landscape" in base game
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 08:17:14 AM »
Yes you can!  You can also join it to the lower left tile. 

Offline dsegel

• Vagabond
  • Carpe diem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 08:18:46 AM »
I wonder why this isn't addressed in the rules?

Offline dirk2112

• Baron
  • Merit: 43
  • Filled with caffeine and hyperbole
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 08:35:01 AM »

If you look on the top of page #6 of the rules, it shows you a red meeple on a tile with 2 cities and 2 field sides.  That tile is connected to a road tile field to field.  It also shows you how to use clever tile placement to share or steal cities. 

When this game gets ahold of you and you start acquiring expansions, there is a consolidated Rules document on this site (CAR) that explains how everything interacts.  Don't look at it now until you have more experience, because it can be overwhelming. 
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 08:38:14 AM by dirk2112 »

Offline jungleboy

• Viscount Chevalier
  • Merit: 89
  • Nine points!
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of the Camino
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 08:38:07 AM »
However, can a green field be matched to a green field if there are no monasteries on them?

Yes it can, as Dirk said above. Also, it's irrelevant whether there are monasteries (incorrectly yet lovingly referred to as cloisters by most of us here because of poor translation from German in the original rules). If green side matches green side, you can place the tile, even if there is a cloister on one or both tiles. Two of the six cloisters in the base game have a road leading from the cloister to one tile edge, so as long as that edge is not the one placed against a green field with no matching road, you can place the tile.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 03:07:00 AM by jungleboy »

Offline Hounk

• Baron
  • Merit: 15
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 02:39:55 AM »
Because the new rules main goal was to introduce a "cute baby language" rather then leave the rules as coherent, as they had been before. In the original rules there was a general paragraph:
•The new tile (with red borders in the examples) must be placed with at least one edge abutting one previously placed tile. The new tile may not simply be placed corner to corner with a previous tile.
•The new tile must be placed so that all field, city, and road segments on the new tile continue to field, city, and
road segments on all abutting tiles.
"At least one edge" means generally any type of edge can be connected, as long as it fits to the edge of the previouse tile. This, I believe, was better clarified then the case-by-case explanation done in the new edition, but it was not as easy to dumb down with encouraging filler statements like "Huzzah! There is one because both ends of the road are closed", "you score 3 points. Well done!" or "Sadly, all good things must come to an end, and the same goes for a game of Carcassonne. You may wish that it were otherwise, but there must be a winner!" So to summ it up, the new rules are a mess. Better to look out for a pdf of the old rules, which can be find here and use the new ones only for reference regarding Abbot and Gardens.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 02:43:13 AM by Hounk »

Offline dsegel

• Vagabond
  • Carpe diem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 06:54:40 AM »
Because the new rules main goal was to introduce a "cute baby language" rather then leave the rules as coherent, as they had been before. In the original rules there was a general paragraph:
•The new tile (with red borders in the examples) must be placed with at least one edge abutting one previously placed tile. The new tile may not simply be placed corner to corner with a previous tile.
•The new tile must be placed so that all field, city, and road segments on the new tile continue to field, city, and
road segments on all abutting tiles.
"At least one edge" means generally any type of edge can be connected, as long as it fits to the edge of the previouse tile. This, I believe, was better clarified then the case-by-case explanation done in the new edition, but it was not as easy to dumb down with encouraging filler statements like "Huzzah! There is one because both ends of the road are closed", "you score 3 points. Well done!" or "Sadly, all good things must come to an end, and the same goes for a game of Carcassonne. You may wish that it were otherwise, but there must be a winner!" So to summ it up, the new rules are a mess. Better to look out for a pdf of the old rules, which can be find here and use the new ones only for reference regarding Abbot and Gardens.

Thank you so much for the link to the original rules.  I was just about to ask yet another question that isn't addressed in my set of rules and, viola!, it was directly addressed in the original rules.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
A copy of "Die Belagerer" for either "Die Katharer" or "Die Kornkreise I"

Started by Hylian87

3 Replies
Last post September 11, 2013, 03:04:52 PM
by Hylian87
question
Opinions sought on "base" game and expnasions

Started by jvnoledawg

16 Replies
Last post December 01, 2013, 08:43:15 PM
by Whaleyland
xx
2 player 110 tiles game (Without the base game tiles)

Started by SRBO

3 Replies
Last post August 17, 2015, 02:01:56 AM
by SRBO
xx
Superbowl Sunday: 2-player game (base game + I&C)

Started by Scott

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2015, 10:36:40 AM
by Scott
xx
RGG "Princess" rule change a case of wrong trsl. or established for "retheming"

Started by Hounk

0 Replies
Last post July 09, 2015, 01:30:40 AM
by Hounk