Author Topic: Metal Meeples on Indiegogo  (Read 13352 times)

Offline Hylian87

• Villein
  • Merit: 0
  • The King is dead, long live the King!
    • View Profile
Re: Metal Meeples on Indiegogo
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 07:12:17 AM »
I really like these meeples but I don't get why they have to have holes in their arms. That's what's keeping me from backing.

Offline CKorfmann

• Authors
  • Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 39
  • Pigs are meeple too.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 10:17:29 AM »
They are described as functional hands.  They are meant to hold things on posts inserted into the holes.
Flee the fleas.

Offline Safari

• Count
  • Merit: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 06:47:39 PM »
Some time ago I saw an interview with a HiG official and he explained that back then they decided to don't put a copyright on their meeple shape. The could have done it, but rather wanted not to do it (or simply forgot about it, I don't remember exactly any more). However, now they are happy that there is no copyright on the "meeple", since a copyright might have limited the great success of the meeple as kind of standard playing piece shape in the whole world. He said that today the meeple is far more than a piece of Carcassonne. It is well known also outside the Carcassonne universe thanks to the lack of any copyright.

That's really interesting, and a sentiment I happen to agree with too.

I don't suppose you can remember where you read the interview can you?
Hooray, I found the source of the information. It was said by Dirk Geilenkeuser from HiG during this interview of "Bretterwisser" an online boardgame radio show.
Starting from 01:00:40 they talk about the history of the "meeple" and here is the crusical dialogue:

A: Well, and then we put the Meeple in the game. Back than it was simply something like “Well, let’s make a nice playing piece, that looks cute.“ That it will prevail like that wasn’t expected.

Q: But that has also to do with the fact that you didn’t save the rights on it.
A: Well, let’s say, partially. But we found out about the fact too late, that we should have done that. It is kind of a legal limbo, but principally it’s not saved. We asked then if it was possible to do that later, but it’s nearly impossible. But fortunately all the publishers get along well with each others, so normally they ask if they want to put a meeple into one of their games.

Q: Do you think, that it wouldn’t be as successful if you had saved the rights on it?
A: That’s a good question! Quite possible, may be. That’s always such a thing, if one launches some advocates or something like that. This might backfire. Actually, in that case it was maybe good, that it went like that.
Safari

(\__/)
 (O.o )
 (> < )
 This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Offline franks

• Marquis
  • Merit: 26
  • I love Carcassonne
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 07:46:00 PM »
Vanguard Meeples

I saw these advertised on BGG today.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/vanguard-meeples

Very  8)

Thanks for posting. I have ad block on BGG so I wouldn't have seen it.

Mind you I only went for a sampler set and I'll see if there's a novel way to get these into the game.

Cheers,
Franks

Wanna play Carc? Can we add just one more expansion?

Offline spikey_dino

• Freeman
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 12:10:20 AM »
I think I would definitely buy these if they offered a set of 10 meeples.  If I could use them for Carcassonne and Stone Age I don't think I'd be able to resist.  But right now spending $40 to buy two sets of 8 for one color is more than I want to spend.

Offline spikey_dino

• Freeman
  • Merit: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 03:39:12 PM »
So I left a comment asking if they'd sell sets of 10 -- They replied saying that if I buy sets of 8 for $20, they'll add in my extra two meeples for free :)

If anyone else was thinking of getting these, it's possible to get sets of 10 that can be used in Stone Age :)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
Cundco wooden meeples full set again??

Started by DrMeeple

14 Replies
Last post July 26, 2019, 12:43:13 PM
by DrMeeple
xx
Buying Meeples

Started by jungleboy

6 Replies
Last post November 07, 2015, 08:00:30 AM