Author Topic: Big Box 7 C3 art with C2 cut?  (Read 2056 times)

Offline kheller2

• Labourer
  • Merit: 1
  • Where do I set the timezone?
    • View Profile
Big Box 7 C3 art with C2 cut?
« on: June 25, 2023, 05:40:51 PM »
I recently picked up BB7 English edition ZMAN.  The art style is C3 but the tiles are not rounded at the corners like the 20th edition.  In fact the sheets are ordered differently from the images of the German sheets, example no blank tiles.

What are people calling these tiles: -C3?  I’m a bit disappointed hoping they would match the cut of the 20th edition.  In my case the description of the contents do not match Wikipedia. 

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6396.0

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
  • Merit: 118
  • Keeper of the Carcassonne Museum
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
Re: Big Box 7 C3 art with C2 cut?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 10:40:55 PM »
Hi!

I would argue that the rounding of the corners is not necessarily part of the artstyle (C1, C2.0, C2.1, Carc20, C3). I say this because it has not been consistent between different publishers since late C2.1 releases.

Most C2.1 releases have fairly square corners, and most C3 releases have more rounded corners, but for example I have a 2019 ZMG English C2.1 game with rounded corners, and as you mentioned, the latest BB7 ZMG has the squarer corners.
The Czech/Slovak/Polish release of BB7 also has square corners I heard (I haven't opened mine).

It has more to do with where the game was printed, which can differ between publishers. Unfortunately it can lead to the corners not exactly matching between games you have.
Join me on the journey through the history and oddities of Carcassonne, on My Instagram
1 0 days since i've bought more Carcassonne

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2023, 09:12:44 AM »
The Czech/Slovak/Polish release of BB7 also has square corners I heard (I haven't opened mine).
This is confirmed by multiple members of czech forum.
Just notice, that it's Mindok Publisher release.
And there is very common error on back sides of Mini 2 Messenger tiles.
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Decar

• Owner
  • Chatelain Grand Officier
  • Merit: 317
  • Shut up and take my money!
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2023, 12:20:35 AM »
Can you tell me what makes you think that C3 only come with rounded corners? It's simply not true as Willem says, and we see people getting mislead by this over and over again. I'd really like to correct the source of this misinformation!

It's disappointing to hear Z-man isn't consistent. I suspect this is because the Zman 20thC was printed in the Netherlands, but I don't know where the big box was printed, it should say on the back near the barcode.

Offline totor66

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • Carcassonne semi completionnist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2023, 01:15:02 AM »
Can you tell me what makes you think that C3 only come with rounded corners? It's simply not true as Willem says, and we see people getting mislead by this over and over again. I'd really like to correct the source of this misinformation!

is it second degree ? I mean HIG made the change for C3, and ok maybe it wasn't advertised and focus was put on clipped buildings and updated graphics, but it came at the same time.

I don't think you'll find any square corners on german edition of C3 and any Mini's since

The fact that other publisher didn't follow and stuck to old format is a bit confusing for sure but it should have been the standard.
Carcassonne Fan since 2014

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2023, 01:35:56 AM »
That's not true either C2 has both formats depending on the print run.

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2023, 02:36:18 AM »
It's disappointing to hear Z-man isn't consistent. I suspect this is because the Zman 20thC was printed in the Netherlands, but I don't know where the big box was printed, it should say on the back near the barcode.
My ZMG BB7 was also printed in the Netherlands. Haven't opened it, so don't know the tile cut from it.

But yes, it seems it can depend on where certain things were printed.
It feels like a similar discussion as the shades of green we saw in C1. There it was also not always consistent within releases from the same publisher.

I don't think publishers see it as a feature of some sorts, as it has been inconsistent before. It seems that the more rounded corners started in 2019/2020 (with the Russian releases as exception), and I do believe it depends on printing location/batch

Offline carckky

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2023, 11:46:30 PM »
Did you ever open your box to find out whether or not you had round or square corners?

Offline Willem

• Chatelain
    • View Profile
    • The Carcassonne Museum
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2023, 12:20:21 AM »
No, I've got 1 open copy of BB7 (German one), and the rest stays in seal, no plans to open them.
For the ZMG version, I've heard it from multiple people that this has the squarer corners, so I'm happy with that knowledge and don't feel the urge (yet ;) ) to open mine

Offline kheller2

• Labourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2023, 07:23:55 PM »

Reading most pages on wikicarpedia implies again and again that C3=clipped cities= rounded corners.  Just look at this page here : https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Visual_Changes_in_the_2nd_Edition/en

“ Since 2020, the new releases kicked-off the Third Edition of Carcassonne (or C3 for short) with a few exceptions. This new edition changed their tile shape and graphic style, the latter affecting cities most noticeably:

Tiles feature rounder corners than previous sets and expansions”

Offline Decar

• Owner
    • View Profile
    • tehill.net
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2023, 12:37:17 AM »
Thanks! I'll get onto the WiCA team so they can correct the information. It's misleading a lot of people.

Have you had any luck finding a C3 edition that will match?

Offline kheller2

• Labourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2023, 08:55:56 AM »
Thanks! I'll get onto the WiCA team so they can correct the information. It's misleading a lot of people.

Have you had any luck finding a C3 edition that will match?

BGG also has a few threads confusing things, but I will say that reading the WiCA pages is what convinced me that buying BB7 will have C3 art AND rounded corners.  I'm beginning to think the German edition is the only one like that, as the cardboard sheets are laid out differently from the ZMan print.  I already owned the 20th edition of the game and wanted matching Art and tile cuts and the BB7 was cheaper than picking up and figuring out what expansions have been updated and where to match (it also had a few mini expansions you can't get separately).

I've been buying some things from cundco.de that are marked C3 and have the round cuts, but shipping from Germany to the USA, at least the last batch of mini expansions and parts, was just as much as the products themselves  So, I'm not sure I want to do that anymore.

The ZMAN BB7 UPC has the following "CARCASONNE BIG BOX    ZH010  UPC-A  8 41333 11667 5     11/2021  MADE IN NETHERLANDS"  This has the square corners... although I wouldn't call them square, but I don't have any other editions to compare it with.

My ZMAN 20th, has a little slip sheet that covered the back of the box that says "Made in China 03/2021 8 41333 11364 3", there is also Asmodee UK language on the slip.  Now the instruction sheet says published by Hans im Gluck Germany... so who knows.  I just assumed that something printed 8 months after the 20th edition box I have would be similar.  China is using round corners. :)

« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 09:58:09 AM by kheller2 »

Offline Meepledrone

• Owner
  • Merit: 456
  • It is full of... Meeples!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2023, 03:49:40 PM »
I updated this page on June 30th 2023 to dissociate C3 and rounder corners:

https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Visual_Changes_in_the_2nd_Edition

Please feel free to suggest any updates or changes you may find interesting to be included.

Questions about rules? Check WICA: wikicarpedia.com

Offline kheller2

• Labourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2023, 08:02:51 PM »
I updated this page on June 30th 2023 to dissociate C3 and rounder corners:

Please feel free to suggest any updates or changes you may find interesting to be included.

Interesting.  Why are these two different pages?

https://wikicarpedia.com/car/Visual_Changes_in_the_2nd_Edition/en

Offline wolnic

• Authors
  • Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 207
  • Ummm and Ahhh! Can't decide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2023, 01:05:45 AM »
I've marked the source page for translation, as it hadn't been since the last edit to add the section about rounded corners. I'm not sure if the EN version is updated automatically by one of the Bot processes or has to be done manually.
AutumnForest (C2), Catch Of The Day (C1/2/WD), Cliffs&W'falls (C1/2), Coast (C1/2), FishHuts (C2), Fluvium (C2), NewForest (C2), Harvest (C1/2), Stone Circles (C1/2), Wells (C2), Jordan River 2 (AotC), River I/II (GR)
Devt: Sakura (C2), WinterEdge (C1), WinterCoast (WD/WE) and others

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Favouritism Poll #8 : Large Expansion Box Art (Old Art)

Started by dirk2112

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2017, 07:16:40 AM
by Karcalijn
xx
Big Box 7: A brand new Big Box with an already long history?!

Started by Willem

4 Replies
Last post January 18, 2022, 11:49:15 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Big Box 4 (Plus 2012) VS Big Box 5 (Plus 2014) what is the best?

Started by caincarcassonne

11 Replies
Last post April 15, 2015, 11:57:22 PM
by SRBO
xx
Big Box 5 - A New Big Box in the Netherlands

Started by SRBO

153 Replies
Last post September 17, 2017, 10:31:45 PM
by Paul
clip
BigBox box for collectors - Corrected Box Art