Author Topic: Carcassonne World Cup!  (Read 49771 times)

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
Re: Carcassonne World Cup!
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2014, 08:11:46 AM »
and his son "MasterNumbers".

Where does it all end?????

I prefer MrNumbers Jr.  ;)

This is endless, like numbers themselves :D
"I never lose. Either I win or I learn." (Nelson Mandela)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2014, 08:12:43 AM »
I make that 14 so far, although more likely 13 unless things happen immediately since jungleboy has posted that he will be unable to take part from from mid-July.

This is everyone I have so far, please let me know if I've missed anyone:

- Carcking
- danisthirty
- evmillan
- Jere
- jungleboy ?
- mas9dj
- MrNumbers
- MrsNumbers
- quevy
- rfielder
- rfielder's partner
- rfielder's partner's friend
- rfielder's partner's friend's spouse
- Yellow

I thought it might be easier to envisage which expansions could be used at what stage of the competition in a tabular form:

Any further thoughts on using River 1 or 2 in the group stage? I'm not enormously fussed either way but thought it may be better to reduce the tile count at this stage of the competition. This said, I have included Inns & Cathedrals but from what I've read on here few people ever play without this anyway...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 07:03:12 AM by danisthirty »

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Merit: 10
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2014, 08:20:55 AM »
- rfielder's partner's friend's friend
That should actually be:
- rfielder's partner's friend's spouse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
If mice is the plural of mouse, then isn't spice the plural of spouse???
Robert Fielder
Brampton, Ontario, Canada  EST

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2014, 08:30:38 AM »
Tournament-wise I am not a fan of these:

1. Abbey & Mayor
2. King & Robber
3. The Tower

:meeple:
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline MrNumbers

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 91
    • View Profile
    • Carcassonne Latvia
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2014, 08:33:45 AM »
I agree with Yellow in "King & Robber" part: when too many tiles used, the game with this expansion becomes too unbalanced.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2014, 08:42:08 AM »
@rfielder - fixed!

@Yellow - any reason for your dislike of those expansions in particular? I for one am not very keen on The Tower either, but thought I'd put it on the list in an attempt to make each round as different and challenging as possible! These are far from final in any case, so if you have any alternative suggestions please do let me know.

@MrNumbers - OK cool. I'll chop out King & Robber Baron altogether. Personally I quite like it but I'm happy to go with whatever, and I agree that it can be a little bit too influential in larger games.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2014, 08:48:07 AM »
danisthirty.

I like most expansions. Just not when used in a tournament.

Players should win by using the basis of the strategy that lies within the game with limited opportunities to ruin the game for others. The Tower in my opinion is often a disrupt opponents and at the same time get something good out of it.

---
Anagram of Carcassonne: 'a Censor scan'.  :meeple:

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2014, 09:10:43 AM »
@Yellow - I couldn't agree more! :) This is why the league uses just the basic 72 tiles. But my idea for this "world cup" was that the emphasis should be more on fun and not quite so serious, although still competitive (if that's possible).

The expansions merely add a bit of variety and "colour" to things and help to test a player's overall skill from round to round as they have to adapt their tactics depending on what expansions are available.

I don't have any strong feelings for or against The Tower and would be happy to chop it out completely if it proves too unpopular to include. Making each round different to the one before does grow increasingly difficult if we kick out too many expansions though...

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2014, 09:15:51 AM »
I like most expansions. Just not when used in a tournament.
A tournament that plays on a changing field does not give a consistent way of measuring the outcome, IMHO.  The current tournament that uses only the base game is good, in that it means that all games are basically the same and the only variables are player talent and luck of the draw.

Players should win by using the basis of the strategy that lies within the game with limited opportunities to ruin the game for others. The Tower in my opinion is often a disrupt opponents and at the same time get something good out of it.
While I agree that the Tower is disruptive, I personally don't see this as a bad thing.  The dragon can be very, very disruptive.  My partner seems to draw Tower pieces at will when playing with the physical game, leading to no small amount of frustration - but that is the luck of the draw.  Some people just seem to have so much luck.....?

My persoanlly preference to know use the Princess and the Dragon is because of the bug related to the Dragon movement and Builder.  Once that bug is resolved, I would be good for including it.

I guess what I am really saying is that all expansions will have fans and detractors.  The organizer needs to listen to us - but he needs to make a final decision, and we need to support him regardless of our like or dislike of the list of expansions included.

After all, this is all new ground.  Perhaps after the first couple of tournaments, we will have learned enough from actual play time to say what works well and what does not.  At the moment, a lot of the discussion is based on opinion and supposition, not on real world experience.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2014, 09:35:31 AM »
@rfielder - that pretty much sums up my feelings exactly!  :(y)

OK, so here are a couple of options. We can include The Princess & The Dragon as long as it's not combined with Traders & Builders so there are two options:

Alternatively we could just agree on a couple of minor expansions that could be common throughout (such as The Phantom) and role a couple of dice to determine which of the major expansions we include? 6 would have to mean role again, as would 2-3, 3-2 (i.e. T & B + P & D) or any previously used combination. But it might be interesting and it would at least be random!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 07:03:40 AM by danisthirty »

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2014, 10:40:27 AM »
This tournament is fun and mayhem?  :@

Then I will retract my previous statements and have you guys throw in whatever expansion(s) you want.  :(y) Chaos can be fun too! Just didn't know this was a leeway tournament.  ^-^

---
An anagram of Carcassonne: 'a Censor scan'.  :meeple:

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2014, 10:49:27 AM »
Two questions:

1> why does the base game show as 72 tiles for the first column, then 71 tiles for the other columns?  Does JCZ actually drop the starting tile?

2> why no phantom? 

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2014, 11:19:59 AM »
The start tile from the basic game is supposed to be discarded when you use an alternative start. I normally just leave it in the bag to be drawn later but I'm not certain what JCloisterZone does. I made a mistake in any case as those tables are aupposed to say 71 against the base game wherever River 1 or 2 is used.

The Phantom is included in all games. The 0 in the tables refers to the number of extra tiles.

Offline rfielder

• Marquis
  • Carcassonne Beginner
    • View Profile
    • Cool Country Nights
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2014, 11:48:34 AM »
JCZ starts with 71 tiles when playing the base game.  See screen shot #1.

I then added one miniexpansion with six tiles, and got a total of 77, or 71 + 6.  See screen shot #2.

In other words, JCZ seems to be starting short by one for the basic game.

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2014, 11:55:31 AM »
Those look about right to me. Don't forget that the start tile and the tile you're waiting to place count as tiles too so it makes sense that there should be 70 left "in the bag" or pile or whatever. Similarly, there are 78 tiles in your second screenshot (two in play and 76 left to be played) which suggests to me that the starting tile is being reused rather than discarded. I think.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
exclamation
World Cup of Carcassonne Central - 2016

Started by danisthirty

109 Replies
Last post November 23, 2016, 03:49:58 AM
by jungleboy
xx
Carcassonne World Cup FAQ

Started by danisthirty

24 Replies
Last post November 04, 2016, 12:20:12 AM