Author Topic: The Count Strategy  (Read 1161 times)

Offline CGNBL

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • Learning……
    • View Profile
The Count Strategy
« on: May 18, 2023, 07:41:58 PM »
What is the usual strategy when playing with the count?
My group are new to this expansion. What we do with the count is we never stand on short roads and semicircle cities, in order not to let others enter the City of carcassonne such easliy, but I think that Monastery is also dangerous since finishing it just make 1 points to the owner.
But this brings up another problem, which is that there is less chance to move the count. As one player gain advatage in the city quarter, the builder of the big city gets very furstrated. When the count is in the city quarter the situation is again completely different……
I did not feel right with this, people are giving up small points, being feared of letting others entering the City. Very often we just put down tiles without putting figures unless we are closing something. People who draws only road tiles get very sad about it, like they just lost one turn.

I tryied the count recently and did not had a good time. Which matches my expectations. But I wanted to give him some more chance. I also realized that the count can be really different when playing with opponents with different strategys.
When will you stand on a road? A monastery? Is it the best not to build a big city at all and just start another one when some other player(s) are competeing in the city quarter? Who usually wins at last? How does your strategy change with different expansions?
Also, do you guys play with any house rule? What is it?
Please share your ideas and I am looking forward to it.

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6371.0

Offline BBG

• Freeman
  • Merit: 4
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
Re: The Count Strategy
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2023, 02:36:01 PM »
Honestly? Our average experience is:
  • set up the starting tiles (usually City of Carcassonne + a river)
  • put the Count on the castle
  • never touch him again for the rest of the game  ;D

Offline Doom_Shark

• Vassal
  • Merit: 3
  • I swear I have a life...just not right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 08:39:03 AM »
I find the last few turns consist of a rush to throw meeples in the field district (unless you're the one currently in control of the most lucrative field, in which case you're looking for opportunities to put the count there)

Offline totor66

• Count
  • Merit: 18
  • Carcassonne semi completionnist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 05:00:55 AM »
also a small reminder, in order to move the count within the 4 quarters, you have to put one of your meeple on the 4 first.

it is very demanding at the end of the game, and it's very dangerous to leave easily unfinished stuff beccause you are one step away of having the quarter for farmers blocked at the very end.
Carcassonne Fan since 2014

Offline CGNBL

• Vagabond
  • Learning……
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 05:01:48 AM »
Honestly? Our average experience is:
  • set up the starting tiles (usually City of Carcassonne + a river)
  • put the Count on the castle
  • never touch him again for the rest of the game  ;D
well then I suppose this is equivalent to just using the city board but not the Count rules.

Offline CGNBL

• Vagabond
  • Learning……
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 05:04:26 AM »
I find the last few turns consist of a rush to throw meeples in the field district (unless you're the one currently in control of the most lucrative field, in which case you're looking for opportunities to put the count there)
Well I think the last turn no one would like letting others to get in so easily cuz that gives out free field points.
I wish to know some early game moves.

Offline CGNBL

• Vagabond
  • Learning……
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 05:11:24 AM »
also a small reminder, in order to move the count within the 4 quarters, you have to put one of your meeple on the 4 first.

it is very demanding at the end of the game, and it's very dangerous to leave easily unfinished stuff beccause you are one step away of having the quarter for farmers blocked at the very end.
Yes, in early game people are still willing to occupy long roads or small cities, but never when it is till the end. People are just passing their turns without placing meeples for the most of the time and it just feels…… weird.

Actually I meant to make some house rules but I wish to do this after I try it more often.
One thing I came over recently is that you put meeple into different districts according to the points you giveout. 1-5 = road, 6-10=monastery, 10-15=city, and 15+=field. Also the count moves clockwise everytime when someone enters The City.

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2023, 01:55:51 AM »
Also, do you guys play with any house rule? What is it?
Please share your ideas and I am looking forward to it.
I don’t play the Count, but while searching the Forum for something else, came across this 2013 variant by @Big Guy and thought you might be interested.
https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=272.0

Offline CGNBL

• Vagabond
  • Learning……
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2023, 09:43:29 PM »

Thank you for the infomation!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 12:50:11 AM by Decar, Reason: no need to quote »

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
The Count of Carcassonne - Count Robber and King Expansion 6 deployment

Started by JoeSesquipedalian

4 Replies
Last post September 07, 2015, 04:49:49 AM
by JoeSesquipedalian
xx
Carcassonne CSG: Complete Strategy Guide

Started by danisthirty

44 Replies
Last post January 27, 2015, 09:36:01 PM