Author Topic: Carcassonne by Forums 2023  (Read 1071 times)

Offline danisthirty

• (not thirSty!)
  • Owner
  • Chatelain Grand-Croix
  • Merit: 293
  • "First to 4 points wins?"
    • View Profile
Carcassonne by Forums 2023
« on: January 18, 2023, 07:15:45 AM »
Hello all.

Back in the dim and distant past, we played a 5-player game of Carcassonne here on the forums. It took around 2 months to play but there was so much banter and tomfoolery between those of us who were playing, and the community in general, that it became quite an event and was certainly something of which I have a lot of fond memories. I recommend having a read through the original thread if you're interested to know more about how it panned-out. :(y)

I would love to see something similar being run again as it really brought the forums to life while it was running, not just for the players but for the spectators as well. Before we get bogged down in the detail though, I'd be interested to know how many people would be keen to take part if something like this were to be run again. Just to give you an idea though, the game would work as follows:

1. Players are determined, meeple colours are assigned and a starting player is chosen.
2. Starting player has a tile drawn for them at random (by me) and takes their turn by recreating the existing landscape at home and adding their newly drawn tile to it, placing meeples as required and then sharing the newly updated landscape back to the forum. Their turn is now over.
3. Scores are adjusted, then I draw a random tile for the next player and play continues in this way until all tiles have been placed.

It can be a bit of a chore recreating the landscape each time (especially towards the end of the game with so many tiles and meeples in play) and it was easy for mistakes to creep in so you'll either have to build out the game somewhere where it won't be disturbed for a number of weeks/ months or be good at putting it back together again in order to share each of your updates/ turns.

Like I say though, before I get too far into the detail it'd be good to know if anyone here would be interested in being part of the next game. So please, if this sounds like fun to you, give me a thumbs up below and we'll see what happens...

Linkback: https://www.carcassonnecentral.com/community/index.php?topic=6246.0

Offline Snearone

• Duke
  • Merit: 126
    • View Profile
Re: Carcassonne by Forums 2023
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 08:43:36 AM »
I'm in. Blue color for me please :)
If there will be more players interested in this, we can split and do two games simultaneously for greater chaos in a thread (or create second one, but it's less fun).
Regarding "table" it can be created digitally, in VASSAL, just plain layers in graphic program, or creating that on a site that @kothmann uses to play online with his additions.

Sent from my 21091116UG using Tapatalk

Completed: Robber's Son | Gambler's Luck | Vistas Revisited | First Wells | The Flying Machines 2
WIP: The Occult Tower | Binding Deed | Wandering Preachers | City Gates Rebuilt | New King's Orders

Offline kothmann

• Viscount
  • Merit: 92
  • Oh! That’s interesting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 01:22:25 PM »
This sounds like fun.  I’m in.  No color preference.

I would be happy to set something up on playingcards.io, but the playing area doesn’t scroll so maybe not the best choice.  I can also hand-edit a JCZ file.  I could put this on google drive so it is always updated with just one tile to be placed.  Could also create a file where tile order is fixed but tiles not yet placed, so members could play out alternate games from the beginning.  Although my personal preference would be old school: I’ll use travel edition!  >:D

After some recent exchanges on the forum, I laughed when I saw this on the 2014 game thread:
That monastery and the adjacent city tile are illegal moves. They are off the edge of my table

Offline Bumsakalaka

• Count Chevalier
  • Merit: 31
  • Fan of Fan expansions
    • View Profile
    • www.scifi.sk
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 01:46:30 PM »
Cool. I'm in as  :yellow-meeple:  !
And we can do it with real tiles. It will be better fun!
Check JCloisterZone Add-ons with fan expansions and also some Slovak sci/fi projects in English https://www.scifi.sk/en/

Offline Doom_Shark

• Vassal
  • Merit: 3
  • I swear I have a life...just not right now
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 01:55:26 PM »
This sounds like good fun to me! We could use the game notation created by @DIN0 for communicating moves, in addition to providing pictures of the updated landscape

NinjaEdit: Also would love to play, no color preference

Offline joe_abbot

• Villein
  • Merit: 1
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 09:44:53 AM »
you'll either have to build out the game somewhere where it won't be disturbed for a number of weeks/ months
Remember there must be enough space for another table, in every direction!  >:D ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D Have a good time people, seems crazy enough to be very fun

Offline DIN0

• Viscount
  • Merit: 37
  • Carcassonne is only complete with 11th expansion:)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 03:39:42 PM »
This sounds like good fun to me! We could use the game notation created by @DIN0 for communicating moves, in addition to providing pictures of the updated landscape

NinjaEdit: Also would love to play, no color preference

Of course, everybody is free to use the notation! That is what it was made for after all  :D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
clip
Carcassonne in Carcassonne - 09 & 10.09.2023

Started by Meepledrone

11 Replies
Last post September 10, 2023, 11:41:26 AM
by Orkfly
xx
CARCASSONNE EDIZIONE SPECIALE LUCCA 2023

Started by aenima

19 Replies
Last post January 10, 2024, 05:06:12 AM
by oldbonz
xx
Carcassonne Central Worldcup 2023 (BGA Tournament)

Started by Linkarssonne (Linksux)

66 Replies
Last post October 18, 2023, 02:57:36 AM
by Meepledrone
xx
Carcassonne Central Worldcup 2023 (BGA Tournament)

Started by Linkarssonne (Linksux)

1 Replies
Last post August 02, 2023, 09:15:08 AM
by Linkarssonne (Linksux)
xx
Something big came at May 1st 2023

Started by Bumsakalaka

15 Replies
Last post March 07, 2023, 09:17:01 AM
by danisthirty