Author Topic: Rules Questions for Hans im Glueck Thread  (Read 62994 times)

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 33
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
Re: Rules Questions for Hans im Glueck Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2014, 03:08:29 AM »
Ok, then my question:
If there are 3 red and 3 blue followers in a city, and 2 red (of 3) and 1 blue (of 3) are on the hills, does the red player win the tie?

That is a great question. I cannot wait to hear the official answer to that. The underlying question is; can you compete for the tie-breaking power of a Hill?
I just drew the perfect tile for my MonKnighThieFarmer!

Offline Rosco

• Duke Chevalier
  • Merit: 41
  • Racing, and playing hard!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2014, 06:50:48 AM »
Surely this is obvious. The one with more on hills is obviously stronger.

I would have a problem if playing a personal meeple expansion I play which is 'The Kids '. With this expansion, children come into the game as half followers who are only valid with an adult.   so with 1 adult and 1 child (1.5 followers) of one colour and 1 adult of another colour on a hill, who has the majority? I imagine it is the adult and child but just checking.
Just lay the damn tile!

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 07:38:14 AM »
Surely this is obvious. The one with more on hills is obviously stronger.

It's a matter of whether HiG intented for the Hills to be determined by majority ownership of the Hill. It could be that having one follower on a Hill is the same as having any number of followers on a Hill.

Another scenario - Three Hills exist on a single city. I have followers on two of them and my opponent has a follower on one of them. Do I own the tie-breaker? Only if they are in competition, but not if the power does not stack.

There is precedence for some tile mechanics not stacking - such as in Cathar/Siege tiles on a city. Once there is one in the city it has the same effect as if there were any number. Inns on the Lake is another example. Cathedrals, another.

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2014, 08:39:01 AM »
'The Kids '. With this expansion, children come into the game as half followers who are only valid with an adult.   so with 1 adult and 1 child (1.5 followers) of one colour and 1 adult of another colour on a hill, who has the majority? I imagine it is the adult and child but just checking.

If there is no tie you don't have to think about followers on hills - followers on hills are tiebreakers only if there is a tie.

Offline Carcking

• Duke Chevalier
  • I call Red!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2014, 06:08:07 PM »
Correct. The Hill doesn't "add" anything unless there is a tie.

Offline ldhughes59

• Vagabond
  • Merit: 0
  • I haven't updated my profile yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2014, 11:53:10 AM »
Q: With the School expansion, player 1 has the teacher and player 2 completes a school road and a city.  Another player has a meeple on the completed road so player 2 does not receive a score for the road but they should still obtain the teacher for completing the road correct?  Also does player 1 get the score to both the city and road or just one completed feature and if so which?

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 101
  • Toulouse: Carcassonne's insignificant neighbor.
    • View Profile
    • Derek R. Whaley, PhD | Librarian, Historian, and Writer
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2014, 04:15:41 AM »
Q: When playing with both the Halflings I and Halflings II, do players draw 2 tiles each or 4 tiles each (2 from each set)?

Q: When playing Halflings with fewer tha 6 players, do all players still only draw 2 tiles or do they draw however many are available for all players (I.e., 4 players draw 3 each, 3 players draw 4, and two players draw 6)?

Q: What does the Corn Circle symbol in Halflings II represent? A wild card or a robber club?

Q: Can an Abbey be placed in a square beside a triangle tile if that triangle tile is not leaning against the proposed placement location of the Abbey (I.e., it isn't visually creating a square)?

Also, a non rules question. Will Halflings I (Spielbox) eventually be available from Cundco (presumably with a different watermark)?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 02:54:43 AM by kettlefish »

Offline cidervampire

• Vassal
  • Merit: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2014, 09:16:29 AM »
There seems to be a steadily growing list of holy men and holy places.  So far we have

1. Cloisters - occupied by Monks or the 2nd edition Abbot Meeple
2. Cathedrals - just for show, nobody lives in them
3. The Abbey - occupied by Monks.
4. Shrines - occupied by Heretics
5. German/Dutch/Belgian Monasteries in several different states:
a) occupied by a Monk
b) occupied by an Abbot
c) occupied by a Monk and an Abbot due to the use a Flier tile.
d) unoccupied
6. Darmstadt Church & Chapel - occupied by some sort of follower
7. A Garden - occupied by the 2nd edition Abbot Meeple

My questions are which of the above can be used in the following situations

A - to provide sanctuary to a Knight from a City with a Siege tile
B - give points on an Inquisition result on the Wheel of Fortune
C - be a feature on which you can place the 2nd edition Abbot Meeple
D - be a target feature for a meeple in the City of Carcassonne

E - Also, can the Abbot Meeple use the Flier or a Magic Portal to move to a feature on which he can be placed?

Offline kettlefish

• Global Moderator
  • Chatelain Officier
  • Merit: 127
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2014, 09:37:11 AM »
E - Also, can the Abbot Meeple use the Flier or a Magic Portal to move to a feature on which he can be placed?
The figure Abbot is a follower with special rules, and the Abbot can use the Flying Machine as a flier and can go through the Magic Portal. But the Abbot figure can only land on features like the garden or the cloister.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 03:25:37 AM by kettlefish »

Offline Fritz_Spinne

• Authors
  • Viscount
  • Merit: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2014, 09:47:26 AM »
The figure Abbot is a follower with special rules, and the Abbot can use the Flying Machine as a flier and can go throuth the Magic Portal. But the Abbot figure can only land on features like the garden or the cloister.

Does the term "like the garden or the cloister" include shrines and abbeys (from "Abbey and Mayor") and the German / Dutch Monasteries? May he used as an Abbot (!) there? I think you will have to ask many questions ...
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 11:59:26 PM by Fritz_Spinne »

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2014, 11:43:58 PM »
Q: When playing with Darmstadt expansion, are the bonuses applied at the end of the game or only when the feature is completed?

Q: When playing with Darmstadt expansion, do the points for the Convention Centre also get distributed to all players in the event of a tie (I'd assume this is a yes)?

Q: When playing with Darmstadt expansion, do the two religious buildings function as cloisters in all cases (e.g., when playing with The Cults or Wheel of Fortune)?

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2014, 01:08:39 AM »
Got yet another question after playing with Castles tonight:

Q: Does a Castle block the passage of a Dragon (or switched around, can a dragon move over a Castle)?

This became an issue when the Dragon was trapped at the end of a 1-tile-wide row of tiles. We decided it could, but there didn't seem to be an official ruling on it.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2014, 02:55:48 AM »

Q: Does a Castle block the passage of a Dragon (or switched around, can a dragon move over a Castle)?

This became an issue when the Dragon was trapped at the end of a 1-tile-wide row of tiles. We decided it could, but there didn't seem to be an official ruling on it.

From what I read off CAR 7.02, the only way to stop a dragon is if it can't move to an adjacent nondiagonally tile because:
A. It has already moved to this tile during this dragon movement
B. There is a Fairy on that tile it wants to move to

So flying over a Castle would be a legal move and the follower on it would take a peak out of the window and feel a sigh of relief.
World record holder for a single game of Carcassonne using 10 007 tiles!

Offline Whaleyland

• Great Khan
  • Global Moderator
  • Marquis Chevalier
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2014, 03:09:45 AM »

From what I read off CAR 7.02, the only way to stop a dragon is if it can't move to an adjacent nondiagonally tile because:

So flying over a Castle would be a legal move and the follower on it would take a peak out of the window and feel a sigh of relief.
That's what we assumed too, but since it does run along the entire edge of the tile, I feel it should be officially addressed by the gurus at Hans im Glück. After all, the Castles did come out after the Princess and the two have yet to appear in the same Big Box together. They may never have thought about it.

Offline Paul

• Marquis Chevalier
  • Merit: 86
    • View Profile
    • sydby.com
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2014, 04:59:31 AM »

That's what we assumed too, but since it does run along the entire edge of the tile, I feel it should be officially addressed by the gurus at Hans im Glück. After all, the Castles did come out after the Princess and the two have yet to appear in the same Big Box together. They may never have thought about it.

Sometimes too many rules can lead to messy interpretations and ruin the purpose of a (board) game. Currently the rule is quite capable of adressing the issue you described.

What is not there, is also a rule, i.e. it does not say anything about Castles in' The Princess and the Dragon' nor 'Castles' expansion and thus it is a legit move to have the dragon fly over the castle.

Hope this helps!  :(y)

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via furl Share via linkedin Share via myspace Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via technorati Share via twitter

Subject / Started by Replies / Views Last post
xx
English translation from Hans im Glueck-Almanac 2008

Started by tuckerr

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2015, 07:22:52 AM
by tuckerr
xx
News from Hans-im-Glueck-Verlag (HiG)

Started by kettlefish

11 Replies
Last post November 28, 2013, 07:57:52 AM